1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Are Not For Us.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bmaquarius, Apr 13, 2016.

1. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

Rules are meant for everyone else. Not us.
    The other day I happened to read, how a lady defaulter when caught travelling without a ticket preferred a week's jail term than pay a fine. She said that government must recover the money from Mr Vijay Mallya before they got to her. By this twisted logic we'd have more outlaws than what our prisons could hold.
    Why me when everyone else does it ?? The lesser folk are more apologetic than the well heeled, who are more aggressive in such matters. Another day, a couple of women were travelling ticketless in the Ist class railway coach. Unluckily, the ticket checker on duty was smart for them, and the defaulters caught. We hoped they'd pay honestly, and rest the case. But, the women in question appeared of sterner stuff and retorted to having no money for a fine. No sorry, no pleading, no request for let off. Just matter of fact…. No money... Can't pay. Now the fine here happens to be the ticket charges plus thrice the fare amount, a deterrent strong enough for any right thinking person. The women appearing educated enough, the checker reasoned for the use of ATM card or phone a friend, relative or colleague for rescue without wasting anymore of her time. But the argument persisted till journey’s end and we didn't get to see the end of it as the train entered the terminus. So, we never go down without a good fight, do we.

Oh come on...seriously, how many are not tempted to jump traffic lights if the cop isn't looking, avoid mobile phones strictly while driving, use safety belts and helmets for safety, not speed or honk crazy out of civics sense, not drink and drive as a rule. Hard to say. We are like that only.
    Traffic signals has enough of such offenders hauled aside for driving without helmets, licences, speeding, drunken driving, and host of offences . But first thing we do is flash our identity if you happen to work for government services, contact the nearest big daddy we know somewhere up to bail us out, argue and rage if you had time and inclination. In some places people are more spirited as the offenders scoot away or bump off the poor policeman on duty. Why don't we pay up when caught without arguing and wasting the good cop's time, holding up traffic. We blame traffic for speeding, find helmets unfashionable, honk mad without any consideration, race up on crowded streets regardless of ‘no speed’ signs, zoom up the highways, trying to get ahead of everyone else, yakking away on mobile phone while driving, brazenly flouting rules. We are quick to find fault with the others, the system around, and the world, but, hate to be accountable for any of it. Again when caught, we argue that everyone else does it. We're better behaved abroad practically in awe of nations who are better disciplined than us …. look at UK, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai, etc. We are the same people obeying rules abroad for fear of punishment but an unruly mob back home. Why can't our government do it for us, we say.
    We forget it is the people not governments alone that bring the change.
    Rules are fine abroad it, we say- it won't work here.

shobhamma and satchitananda like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

We are like that wonly. Yes, and very proud of it too. Mera Bharat Mahaan! Bharat Mata ki Jai! See? I just said it and became a very patriotic Indian. Now I am free to throw garbage on the roads, spit on walls and break traffic rules at will. I am patriotic and that is all that matters.

shobhamma, bmaquarius and kaniths like this.
  3. HYDGIRL1234

HYDGIRL1234 Silver IL'ite

People along with the govt can bring change .everyone should know their responsibilities and should follow them

bmaquarius likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Show me the person and I shall quote you the rule" has been the norm of Government for a long time.Now it has spread to people.Vijay Mallya has been quoted for all wrong reasons.
    Flouting the rules is one thing;To ensure that any transgresser should not be allowed to escape is another thing.Whether by force or stringent punishment if all trespassers without exception are allowed to undergo punishment without fear or favour,then it is a welcome move.If rules are relaxed for higher officials or political goons,then it is no rule at all.People prefer to earn support and escape punishment rather than adherence to rules.That is the definition of Indian behavious.Shame!
    jayasala 42