1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rubber Sheet

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ssubhasr, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Do we have any cloth or cover which will compensate our Rubber Sheet in India. In India we use to leave the baby over the rubber sheet, which will be easy to wash also.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Subha, you can find some kind of a waterproof fabric at a fabric or crafts store, not necessarily a rubber sheet, but recently at Hancock Fabrics (I don't know if you have those where you live) I saw rolls of plastic sheets, the kind used to make raincoats for kids. They were really colorful with prints on them. Those may serve your purpose.

Raj

3. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Subha,

You can also find something called spill-over mats in Babies R Us. They are used to spread in the floor and place the high-chair in it, so that when the toddlers spill their food it will be in that mat. It is easy to throw it off the mat and clean them.

I bought these spill over mats, cut it into 2 sheets and used them similar to rubber sheets that you get in India.

Malathy

4. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much ILs.... Bow

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

You're welcome, Subha. Just noticed your ticker. Wow! only 4 days to go! How are you feeling? Is this your first baby? Good luck with the delivery!

Raj

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Subha,
    A very dumb question - why do you need a rubber sheet? In India we need them because the cloth diaper leaks but why do you need it in the US?

Vanathi.

7. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Vanathi,I was thinking the same too.
    Subha if u are looking for something to protect crib matress there are mattress covers for crib mattress.All the best for your delivery.

8. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Vanathi or Newmommy,

Not sure for what Subha is looking for a rubber sheet.

I used it when my little one was an infant whenever I gave her some airtime. Meaning, the infants are prone to diaper rash because they poop so much initially after every breast feed. Changing diapers frequently using wipes or washing will lead to rashes. Our ped suggested to give airtime(lie her down free without diapers) once or twice during the day for about an hour or so.

At that time, I can't leaver her on the bed or mattress or carpet floor. So I used to put her on the rubber sheet (or the spill over or mess catching mats as suggested by induslady), with a thin towel or wash cloth on top of it(so that she doesn't take the heat of rubber sheet). Now even if she poops it's easy to wash and dry the rubber sheet and the wash cloth. Your carpet and bed / mattress are safe :)

Kanmani

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  9. fairymother

fairymother New IL'ite

hi Subha

In Walmart and toys r us...u will get spill proof spreed sheet (its not the correct name) it is made of layers of cloth and the same size as our rubber sheet.

go and look in infant section, and u can ask assistants too...i used for my boy till he is toilet trained, its washable.

All The Best for D Day.

Fairy

10. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi Vanathi

One of my neighbours whose baby is jus 5 months old spits or vomits the milk or whatever her mom give her. So it was difficult for my neighbour to wash the cloth on which the baby spitted or vomitted. She asked me for the idea and I jus posted this thread in IL. I knw definitely will get good response from our IL....