1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Room Parent..scary..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

But I haven't seen that much attitude just asked 1 question she shouldn't be avoiding me.. there are beautiful people in this world to talk rathy wasting my time thinking about her . Good thing I know to whom should I ask and I shouldn't . As I learnt from other moms she talks to only certain people that too very few(2-3 in that preschool).

Rihana likes this.
  2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

That's very true. The parents who are not contributed getting benefited too. Because the room parent gives a card to the teacher with all kids signature on it. So the teacher doesn't know who contributed for their gifts.
    This happened last week. It's one of the teacher's birthday and room parent wrote an urgent email to send money for the teachers birthday gift. And she said she will send another email later to collect money altogether for other celebrations. We sent it to her the next day. She sent another email after 3 days as there was only 3 parents contributed. Then she sent a final email the day before the birthday if anyone wish to send money.
    Then, after the birthday celebration, she shared few pics. She went to the class and gave all the gifts to the teacher and have the card signed by all kids. 2 parents who are in my community who are in my kid's class don't see the previous emails and they saw the celebration email.
    I know one of the kid's mom(A). She called me immediately and asked if I know about it. I said yes and I sent money too. She was so upset that I didn't tell when I see the first email itself. Other mom (B) kid is in my kid's class too.
    A and B are friends.I haven't seen B before. I didn't know that B's kid is in our class till this incident. Because they didn't come for the orientation too. A and B discussed about the birthday celebration and B got angry on me (she don't even who I am)that I didn't inform A and B.They both have second child and they are 2 years old. So, they told me that, we are always busy with our younger child and we can't check mail often. You are not that busy and you don't have second child. So please share any updates from the class when you come to know. I was so shocked to hear this.
    I didn't discuss with A after the first email because this is personal choice and money involved. So I didn't discuss with her.
    I told them both that your kids are also signed the birthday card. So don't worry about it.
    And looks like both of them doesn't give any money to the room parents last year in their class for any celebrations. They both said it's new to them.
    So, few people are like this. We can't do anything. Just leave it and move on.

Rihana likes this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

For a post that starts with “ please do not judge me” , there is a lot of judging going on ( Parents that are competitive, parents that enroll their kids in extracurricular activities, parents that are stingy , selfish etc etc) .

SpringB likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Ha ha. We are not judging the OP. We are just sharing our experiences here. just some vent.

Rihana, Sunshine04 and SinghManisha like this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Haha Yes, it’s a vent but the truth is that every parent wants the best for their child. For some this may mean that extra kumon class . So let’s not judge if we do not want to be judged ourselves.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Aren't the emails sent to all parents??
    Why blame you.
    Both are stingy trying to set you up as an excuse

Rihana and gknew like this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

The emails are sent to all the moms and dads.they both have toddler and they are busy with them and not checking emails often. So they told me to inform them once I check my email and get to know about any class updates.
    I asked them even if your hubbies didn't check email. They said we didn't ask them and we are busy with younger child.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are always such snowflakes in a given set of people! People who think their 24 hours are somehow shorter than the other person's. The thing is that it is difficult to come up with a suitable response to such "inform me of class updates" commands. If one doesn't mind totally cutting them off then there are some smart responses: "Oh, I would charge a dollar per parent per update. Personal phone call for update would be a dollar fifty." or "That actually gives me an idea. I have been looking for a way to make some extra money. I could update you for a fee." Or more simply: "Sure.. I'll send you email about the updates."

Back in my time as an elementary school mom, I used to remind some friends about things like school carnival, fund-raiser sales deadline etc. Some appreciated the reminder. Some used to examine the reminder and respond based on whether they consider the event important or not. Like if I said, 'cookie sales are ending Friday',I got a "Oh Shruthi is allergic to nuts, we don't buy..."

Such updates are fine between close friends. I had some mommy friends for whom I was indeed a reminder-service. Even their kid used to tell mom to check with me if it was late evening and too late to call school. : ) But with others, I soon stopped talking anything about school.

gknew likes this.