1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Room Parent..scary..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Sep 4, 2019.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Op, Nothing to worry. They dont force you to do anything against your will. Its your choice whether to join them or not.

But, tell me why are you so much tensed. They all normal people like us. I am an introvert, It take me time to find comfort zone with anyone. I can talk in front of an audience, but personal interaction is tough. Now I am OK.

I have realized that it is important to interact with other people in US , to survive well. Why dont you challenge yourself. For example, When I started driving here, I was scared about speed (any thing above 45), distance, high ways... etc.. So slowly I started taking different roads, longer distance and highways.. This is how overcome my driving phobia in USA.

Same with interaction with other parents. I have once signed for Halloween party. I was so confused, I didnt know what to do. I simply assisted other parents and teacher there. It was out of my comfort zone. I haven't talked much. But it give me some idea on what it is about. They had crafts, some activities related with halloween theme, sweets, cakes etc..

It took much time than I expected. Its difficult for me take time off from work. Anyway, I met parents of other kids there. At least I got a good friend from there. Also I became familiar with my kids teacher. It wont affect anything else (kids grading, evaluation etc).I dint have any idea on how to interact with others, now I got some experience. This gave me much needed confidence to interact with others. This is how we learn. If I can do it, you can do it, I believe.

So challenge yourself . It will be a new experience. Sign up for one event (Halloween on the way) and go. Just smile and say hi. Just follow your instincts. We need to force us if we want to improve our performance. It will help you in future too. You dont have to tell others your personal details or anything you dont want to share. Your personal or professional details are not important here. No one is worried about that kind of stuff. They treat people equally, irrespective of their income, job etc. Give yourself task out of your comfort zone to get rid of your anxiety issues. Also it will give you an idea on how to work in a school and assist a teacher, if you want to.

Running away from the problem is not a solution.

anika987 likes this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm
    Yeah you are right..

I know there is some mind block and will try my best.

But still I don’t know why am intimidated with schools and stuff..

It is stressful for me.

One of my neighbor has a daughter going to my girl’s class.I tried to befriend her but she is avoiding me but wants to enquire what classes I have put my child,how is she doing etc.I find it
    Too selfish.some parents i know are fiercely competitive god
    Knows why.Looking at those people scares me

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You need to develop a "who cares! attitude with those kind of people. This world is like that, you may find roses and thorns on your way. Hope you know what is meant by Survival of the fittest. We need to empower ourselves.

You had some bad experience, it doesn't mean everyone is like that. Explore more, you will find good ones.

Anusha2917, shravs3 and anika987 like this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Anika,
    I am exactly like you with some social anxiety. I easily talk to people with smile. But will be Little hesitant to move it further.
    My kid is in first grade now. I was in PTA last year. I really put myself there, so that I just go to the class and mingle with the teacher and other parents. Last year I had 2 room parents. Both of them were working. So it doesn't mean only the home makers need to be a room parent. They need some volunteer mom's who can do the room parent job better. Our personal things and occupation doesn't matter to them.
    But trust me. Bring room parent is not that easy. I have few Desi friends in my community whose kids are in my kid's class.
    Whenever the room parent ask for money for some celebrations or teachers birthday or appreciation week, they will just blame the room parent that she is asking for money all the time. Room parents asked for money inthe start of the school year and few parents (me too) gave them. But few wee not ready to give and they feel that's too much money and they didn't participate at all. Room parents will keep sending updates and they will keep us posted about all the celebrations, birthdays, class events etc.

And coming to the volunteering part, though I was part of PTA last year, I don't go to school for any events to volunteer too the end of the year.
    During the end of the year, sports day happened and I pushed me forcefully to sign up for that. I don't know anything about sports activities and I am not into sports too.
    They assigned me as an incharge of a game where I have to be there and help kids to play the game. I really don't know what the game was. They sent one fourth grader to each activity area and she explained the game tob each volunteer and left.
    Then I managed to do it for 2-3 hours. That's not for my kids class. It's for other classes.
    And I don't meet other parents often. I see few Indian parents who are in my community while picking kids from bus stop. Other parents I will see them during Thanksgiving luncheon and end of the year party. Few American parents are really good and they will keep in touch. Those are the two events where parents are invited. I meet few parents (Americans) at library.
    And you can go to your kids class as mystery readers (if your kids class has that). In that way you can see other kids and get to know about them.
    I just shared what I know. Not very experienced though.

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much for the info.Inhave bad social anxiety and I don’t think I have it in me this year to sign for room parent..let me see how I feel by the end of their first grade:)

gknew likes this.
  6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I think this is a great opportunity for you to come out and face the world. Put back your anxieties go there and let the things go wrong for few days. You will learn everything quickly and regular visits will make you feel comfortable. Don't give up with the thought that you can't do it. Just keep saying I can do this.

7. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Always go explore rather than thinking what others think. Don't voluntarily tell others that you are homemaker. Actually working mom should be jealous on you.if any other parent ask you what you do tell thell them you have part time job and I am busy...do my best for my kids and available for them always.

Regarding meeting other parents yes some are stupid and thinks they are the only smart parent in the universe and don't want to continue friendship with specific moms. This happened to me ...I met one mom at my son's school (Pre-K) and asked her how about the school district(her kid should be in Kindergarten after summer break) she said I am moving to this district I said it's good that's it. Next day when I saw her she didn't even want to say hi or smile she just walked away as though she doesn't no...I thought she didn't notice but she wants to ignore me which I came to know later.
    I had few experiences like this but l
    keep thinking what's their problem . I learnt more from these stupid mom's how to handle these ladies... who the heck she is ...omg this much attitude isn't going to work for me better I moved away from her and some other mom...but now I got few moms who always answer me when I ask questions about activities and other stuff. keep talking to everyone and continue only if you are comfortable and learn to handle (move away and talk to other people) other wise you cannot survive in this current world.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

No it is not compulsory to be a room parent . No one will even ask you.

If you are willing you need to sign up.

But it is a very good volunteering opportunity and also helps immensely to know the workings of elementary schools and may benefit you child in the long run .

But no compulsion. If some one asks say sorry.

I hardly remember going to schools except for Parent teacher conference , so cannot understand who and why anyone will force you.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some parents are plain stingy and don't want to give money since public school is supposed to be free. This is not nice as many public schools have low funding per child. Ironically, the children of not-contributing parents also benefit from the money that other parents contributed.

But sometimes parents have valid reasons for not contributing the money. For example, the room parent(s) have a bigger say in how that money gets spent. That is fair enough as they are doing the thankless and unpaid job of room parent. I usually contributed to group gifts arranged by room-parent as it is better for teacher to get one huge gift than many $10-$50 gifts. Also, it is easier to simply send $20-$25 for a gift rather than go shop, wrap, write card and send with child or go give to teacher. Until one year, we had a room parent who was big time into elaborate flower bouquets and baskets of cookies etc. from expensive bakeries. 1/3 of the gift collection would be spent on a bouquet or a huge basket of perishables rather than the actual gift, and on an expensive store-bought card for the kids to sign, and room parent's child got to present the card to teacher. That year and the next I didn't contribute to group gifts and instead went for $50 amazon gift cards.

Sunshine04, gknew and anika987 like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some moms are snobbish or have an attitude or other issues and avoid other moms. But sometimes the reason a knowledgeable or experienced Mom A avoids a want-to-know-more Mom B is that Mom B is asking too many questions about school, school district, kids' activities, teachers etc. Mom B and Mom A have not much else in common and their conversation always ends up being a Q/A session in person, via chat or email.

In such cases, Mom A tends to avoid Mom B. I have been in both positions, and learnt not to take it personally. As Mom A, I have escaped to another aisle in Walgreens to avoid Mom B : ) And sometimes a Mom A has not replied to my Mom B email or brushed off my in-person query. It's not personal. Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue. : ) One year you are Mom A, another you are B. : )

gknew likes this.