1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Rock The Sahm Role ✌

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Bubbles, May 4, 2016.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Bubbles good to see you back here. My trip was great, enjoyed it a lot. Kids are fine, now its school holidays here, so everything is a bit relaxed. My dad has come here to visit us. So the children are having fun.

You can try to cook during the day when the baby is awake. You can engage her with activities in the kitchen. I had done it with both my girls and it worked out well for me. I would finish the chopping part ahead of time, as I was more scared of using a knife when the kids were in the kitchen. Other than that, it was manageable. I kept the menu/meal plan quite simple so it was not something for which I had to concentrate or think during cooking.

Totally agree that SAHM do work full day and the quality time with the kids is limited, but the best part is we can create small pockets of quality time throughout the day :)

Bubbles likes this.
  2. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Cheers Bubbles!!! When they are babies or even toddlers forget about everything being perfect. If you achieve 80% of your target, you are successful!! Later in phase like me, a time comes in life, when everything is perfect and tidy, but kids are not kids anymore, they turn out to be independent individuals with less space in their life for mumma!! So enjoy this together time with babies!!! Doesn't matter if house is tidy or not :)

Bubbles, MonikaSG and AkilaMani like this.
  3. AkilaMani

Hi @cliona good to see that you have settled into a routine and the caretaker is good. I know that when we write down things seem more simple than they are :) its ok. You are doing your best and that is what matters.

For the smelly clothes, try washing and drying them in sun once and then while storing them hang/keep a packet/pouch made of mesh/cloth filled with fennel, cloves, oregano, cinnamon. Any spice that you like. I put fennel, cloves and cinnamon. It keeps the odor away and the cupboard smells good. When the fragrance of the spice fades away, replace the spice. It has always worked for me.

MonikaSG likes this.
  4. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Happy New Year ladies! :beer-toast1::cheer:

Proper post later, just wanted to wish you all!

sumalynux and MonikaSG like this.
  5. AkilaMani

Thanks Bubbles :) Happy New Year Everyone :) :)

Been very busy lately... started working again. A different field and now in the training phase. Its nice but demanding. Will come back again to update. Take care friends.

Bubbles and chithirainilavu like this.
  6. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Have a great year ahead girls. Just wanted to say " hi"....Been very busy both personally and professionally as well....... miss you guys.
    Take care.

AkilaMani likes this.
  7. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Hi gals, how are you all?
    Long hiatus.. Went on a short trip to India...finally! Came back and have been battling minor ailments with spouse n kid.. Really small stuff but he worries a lot and handling them has been quite the task.
    Now going through a messed up routine with LO. Bedtime is such a struggle, with LO refusing to lie down and wanting to be rocked. The lovely tantrums of 2s n 3s has officially started. With all this late night antics, I've literally stopped cooking... Sleeping in with baby and now that she's older,giving her cereal for breakfast and bread omelettes sandwiches etc for lunch - she's anyhow on an anti-rice spree. Feel guilty a tad. But lazy too.

But it's not just laziness you see - is it ever? - I am procrastinating. I want to study and get back on track with my career. Not being able to carve out time for that now (ie while LO sleeps), I just sit around killing time.. planning, searching...occupying myself with how-to's etc... Instead of cooking, I'm searching recipes. Instead of cleaning, I'm looking for colourful planners. Instead of spending one on one time with my daughter, I'm zoning out in front of the phone/laptop.

Need some accountability. Don't want to let husband do that, he he. So back here.
    Hope I can carve my way out.

AkilaMani and Kaput like this.
  8. AkilaMani

Hi Bubbles,

I understand that feeling and I have been in that phase, I still fall into the procrastination phase now and then. I am supposed to be working now but that proposal is taking up some time, so to just get away from it and to postpone it, I hopped into IL :p

Try setting timer when you are doing things like surfing the net for recipes and other stuff. Once the alarm goes off, get up and do what needs to be done.

Also set timers for chores that need to be done, like laundry, cooking etc. Once it goes off, just wind it up and move on to the next work or take a break, again be specific how much time you want for your break, and set timer.

This largely helps. We may not stick to it completely but even 70% is good enough. We can get much more done than we would without timers.

Best wishes :)

Bubbles likes this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@Bubbles - I do exactly the same.More Procrastination than actual work .But I like cooking. So try to dish out new recipes.Also my daughter is a bit older now ,almost 2 years.Not sure about yours,didn't go through the entire thread. But still I keep falling short on the things that need to be done.The task I detest the most is folding laundry :tongueclosed:.

I totally agree with @AkilaMani abouth the timer .I have recently started using the timer on the phone for every chore. I also watch cleaning videos on youtube.They motivate me to get up off my lazy A@@ and actually clean the house.

How old is your kid ? I am trying to study too . But I get tired myself by the time she naps and so there go another couple hours.

10. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

You are like my very own personal guidance Angel, @AkilaMani :)(hug)
    Lol ;)
    How's the new work-thing coming along?

The timer is a great suggestion. Tried doing it but used to get frustrated at not completing things within the time I'd allotted. Plus I ended up over complicating things by going into detailed time management apps:facepalm:,
    Will do this again with just the simple timer.
    This. You really get me he he. Yes I must not try to get it all done and perfectly at that.

:beer-toast1: Same here.. LO is ~2.5 so we're in kinda similar situation with the kids. By the time I get her to nap, I'm yearning for some undisturbed me time (even though I'd spent the whole morning being a barely-present mom):eek:

I want to relax. Have some time to myself. I feel jealous of my husband - even though he's been going to bed late, getting up early, fixing his own coffee (on occasion in a very messy kitchen) and having both breakfast and lunch at work - and I've been sleeping in late (mostly due to LO but sometimes due to netflix). I feel he's lucky to have his meals served to him (or at least get what he wants immediately) and can wind down each night while I try to get the kid to sleep. Whereas I keep stressing over the constant compulsion of my many chores - the daily grind still gets to me.
    Why oh why can't I just derive satisfaction from the execution of my duties and be able to do them everything without needing motivation every 2 days:confused:
    Right now my fantasy is to have someone to take care of the cooking and dishes so I can freely give in to my other chores without a schedule constraint. Ie do as I please. :nut: maybe even not do anything just play with my kid n dress up etc. But I know that this is just useless this day dreaming...And I'm not even burned out or anything!
    Maybe I'm bored and weary of housework - even though I don't really dislike cooking or cleaning, and usually get very much involved once I start. So I just don't want to start because I will not have any time after all this!! :thinking:

Needed to vent, don't mind the ramblings.