1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rip Jimmy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

RIP JIMMY

One of the most cruel expressions in English lan guage is “Putting to Slee”. When it comrs to babies it probably means singing a lullaby but with animals it is a term that puts a soft focus on essentially a at Delhi’s Max Vet said her kidneys had started failing and even if they stopped the deterioration brutal act that of killing That is what we had to do to Jimmy this morning—have her put to sleep.

Jimmy our lab breathed her last just nine days before her 13th birthday. Throughout the years she has never been to a vet except for her shots and enjoyed exceptional health thanks to our loving care that went to the extent of spoiling her. Of late she developed broblems of old age like arthritis . Even that was not really serious. But during the last three days , she stopped eating and even drinking water and one of her legs was swollen. Her ever sharp mind deserted her and one of her legs was swollen.

Doctors at Delhi’s Max Vet said her kidneys had started failing and even if they stopped the process, she certainly wouldn’t be her old self again and the drastic treatment could affect other organs too and counselled euthanasia. (Lucky anima,s, humans don’t get that privilege and have to go on suffering as euthanasia is conting to be debated.) We agreed against our wishes and Jimmy was put to sleep this morning.

Many people were surprised to know that Jimmy is a female. Yes her earlier owners who acquired her as a 15-day old pup (Yes she was separated from her mother within two weeks of birth) had no clue about her gender and blindly gave her a male name

They say people choose their dogs but in Jimmy’s cas it was just the oppositr. She chose ues as her family. Her original owners were living in our apartment block and their kids were my daughter’s friends. She used to accompany them to our home and soon developed such a fondness for us that when it was time to leave for home she used to stage a dharna and it was a Himalayan task to send her home.

Saturdays and Sundays she knew we would be home and on hwr mown she would open the door of her flat (It was a sliding door and her quick mind learnt in a jiffy how to open it.) and rush out . And at about 10 in the morning we would hear a scratching on our grille. It was Jimmy’s way of demanding that we open the door.

When the owners came to collect her the line “Chalen Jimmy?” (Shall we go Jimmy?) was a cue for her to lie down and close her eyes pretending to be asleep. When he left on a vacation, on our return her owners used to tell us everyday Jimmy would sprawl before our door and would make mournful noises.

When we shifted to my wife’s government quarters, t her owners realized that she wouldn’t be able to live without us and gave her to us as a parting gift. Afd Jimmy took to the new surroundings like fish to water, making herself at home.

She was huge for a lab, weighing over 50 kg and doctors warned us when we took her for shots that if she doesn’t become slimmer, she would develop serious health problems as she got older. But making jimmy lose weight was easier said than done. She was a foodie and hated exercise. She preferred human goodies to dog food., her favourites being croissants, pastries and fried foods, besides a mad love for ice creams.

Whenever I used to go to buy milk in the evening on my return she used to follow me to the fri9dge taking it dopr granted that buying milk meant buying ice cream. So I had to switch the time of milk buying to early morning when she was asleep.

She also had a temporary love affair with coffee. Aftr buying milk I used to go to the living room and there she would be on the sofa wagging her tailo. Unless I gave her a biscuit dipped in coffee or poured some coffee into her bowl, she wouldn’t let me enjoy my coffee in peace.

So making Jimmy lose weight meant that she is kept away from her favourite treats and initially it was a buit difficult but gradually we reduced her junk food habits if not completely weaned her away from the tasty treats. And succeeded in reducing her weight by nearly 15 kilos.

Some yearas after that she enjoyed good health despite her aversion for exercise. She had to be virtually dragged for a walk after she relieved herself on the road. Taking Jimmy for a walk was like lifting eights and playing chess at the same time. It strained both mind and body. Her brilliant mind thought up a new stratagem every day either to cut short the walk or totally avoid it.

And Jimmy had convinced herself that she was the Alfa female in our pack. She decided a lot of things including when the AC should be switched on and off , who should get down from the car to go and buy vegetables and groceries and what not.

But when she was 11 arthritis set in. May be that was the beginning of her end. That led to a halt to her walks. And total lack of exercise and a laidback lifestyle (Literally laidback. She lay back on her favourite mattress and threw tantrums if thr AC was switched off. s,tarted taking ita toll. The great foodie slowly started losing interest in food but guzzled water even which she gave up in the last three days..

RIP Jimmy we would always miss you and the welcome bark and the reception you gave us on our return from work everyday giving the impression that we are meeting after ages. And you taught us many things, mainly how to maintain calm, (How can anyone forger the reassuring pat you gave on our thighs with your front paw when you thought we were fighting?).

You had your flaws of course. You were class conscious (barking at sloppily dressed or beggarly looking people) a snob (Excuse me, do stray dogs exist?) but they pale into nothingness before your great qualities. Sleep well my friend.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

So sad, I can imagine the immense pain your family is going through. @Balajee Sir. Take care. RIP Jimmy.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Aww Balajee. So sorry for your loss and I mean it. Having been a dog person and having had dogs growing up, marrying into a family with dogs and now with my own dog I know your pain.

This story is so good at so many levels, not discounting her passing away it your family's feelings, it made have many so sweet, aww moments. It is indeed strange that Jimmy chose your family and what generous neighbors. they understood their puppy and it's needs. You were lucky on both the fronts. Your narration proves that what a lucky little guy she was, not to mention how intelligent that she knew what she wanted, chose and then showed and got it too. Good life jimmy! Way to go girl.

This here was my favorite part.
    I am sure Jimmy never thought she was another dog - the way she was treated, she was just a human with four legs.

Starting with her name, Jimmy made sure she was well understood. Do you know how many times I typed he, had to remind myself and change? You go girl.

Thank you for sharing this tribute to Jimmy Balajee. Well loved dog.

15977946_1661905200768587_2359451747769704907_n.jpg
    and this I truly believe is what all dogs think they do every day for us, not knowing/bragging about the love they have for us. I love the sketchy plastic bag piece to pieces.... :) Such lovely friends they are!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I love dogs but I never have due to some reasons. I can feel your love and pain towards Jimmy. Yours tribute to Jimmy touched my heart. May her soul rest in peace !
    I loved below lines regarding Jimmy

"taught us many things, mainly how to maintain calm, (How can anyone forger the reassuring pat you gave on our thighs with your front paw when you thought we were fighting ?":touched:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. rupz

rupz Silver IL'ite

@Balajee

RIP Jimmy.

By the words you have written, it shows that she has had a very good life and have had the right people to take care of her .

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee i feel your pain as i was at the same situation when my Cheenu and Kutti left within a year's gap.Even now we talk about them and their naughtiness.One died of prostate cancer and it cried with pain .i can't forget the scene.RIP Jimmy

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

RIP Jimmy.It was so heart touching to read about your memories of her.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I can feel the pain, I have been through similar experience, had a cute little lab and used to call him browny....
    Man can never match with a dog’s selfless love and loyalty....
    Rip jimmy, browny, cheenu and kutty....

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

A beautiful ode to a loving and faithful friend. I can only imagine the pain you are going through. It is not an easy decision to put a pet to sleep. Just yesterday a friend had to put her cat to sleep and was absolutely distraught. Your description of Jimmy made me totally flip for her. Who would not love such a dog, who told you what to do! :)

RIP Jimmy, in doggy heaven. May you find lot of your favourite foods there and may there never be anything called 'walks' there.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm so sorry for your loss @Balajee . I could feel your grief and your affection for Jimmy in your words. You have made Jimmy digitally immortal. She will always be remembered lovingly by anyone who reads this snippet. In terms of Labrador lives she lived to be a grand old lady, and by all accounts she had a wonderful life. Wish you strength in this difficult time. RIP Jimmy.

Thyagarajan likes this.