1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right To Abort Your Child....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jan 30, 2017.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

In some cases, the woman may not be in a situation to decide best for herself, may be mental illness, or pressures from family be it her own parents or H or in-laws to keep or not, doctor also should have some say based on the family conditions like counselling by knowing what really that woman wants, especially in our country like India, thinking doctor has a responsibility towards society and woman's health and her betterment, doctor can think what is good for that woman.

Want to share something I read in newspapers:
    In India, One mentally ill woman got pregnant in the hospital rehabilitation center itself with some of the workers over there, by the time others knew I don't know time for abortion is crossed or not, some social workers were working to help that woman with a court. She delivered a baby but judge decided that baby should be with that woman,( not taken away to orphanage etc) and the joy of loving a kid can't be taken away from her mother because of her mental illness. May be not that relevant to this discussion.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    sindmani and blissofmylife like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Morning after pill and bc pills should be available without prescription. Insurance already restricts it to one pack a month. It's not like people will abuse bc pills. Why is they not an option? Why restrict access?

With throwing out the ACA that's going off too. There won't be birth control available via your insurance because it's against the insurance companies "belief system" and if they feel it violates their religion then they don't have to pay for it.
    Hmmm.... I've worked for the insurance industry enough to realize that they will follow whatever religion to ensure their bottom lines are unaffected.

So it's going to be expensive to buy a pill pack or get an iud or get the depo shot or get the patch or any other form of BC.

Women are rushing to get IUDs etc before they have to pay for it out or pocket. Same holds for all other birth control options.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

OMG... I've abandoned this thread.
    Sorry guys, I've completely forgotten to visit here after posting this thread. Just finished reading each of your responses in detail.

I do not support this plain abortion ban either. I repeat, this thing has to be best handled on case by case basis.
    Like @satchitananda rightly mentioned, abortion should be an option for particular cases, where the health and life of the mom and the kid is uncertain.
    HIV, result of rape, serious health conditions etc..etc...
    I don't think anyone bash abortion when it is done for a genuine reason as @satchitananda mentioned above.
    This needs to be considered prior to banning abortion. If not, the Government must have a solid plan for the kids who are unwelcomed to the world, or orphaned.
    The system needs to ensure equality and equity while these kids are growing.

On the other hand, aborting a child just because you do not want it or not ready for it doesn't make any sense at all.
    Unless you are in a dire circumstance, a plan "i am not ready" or "I don't want" can not be the reason to kill a life.

As @Laks09 mentioned contraceptives are expensive, and unavailable all the time due to insurance policy restrictions. Yes, accepted.
    How about abortion? Does your insurance allow you to abort your kid every now and then just because of your carelessness?
    Do you think it is safe and there will not be any health complication on the women's physical and psychological health afterwards?
    Do you think it is cheaper than the contraceptives in all the ways?

If abortion in general is right, then how about gender selective abortions in the poor countries where female kids are considered a burden to the families. Again, the mother makes this decision to abort her girl child, knowing all the consequences of it.
    Can we say it is the mother's right, thus it should be respected?
    If not, then what kind of right the mother in the west has to do the same?
    Because the mother who chose to abort her girl child faces dire consequences to arrive at this decision, than the mother in the west for the same decision.
    Eg: A poor mom in India may chose to abort her girl child because of the fear of loosing her marriage or any form of domestic abuse after it. She may be well aware of the consequences after the child is born to an unaccepted family. Her fear could be justified, given the fact she is anyways a complete dependent with other dependent kids and there is lack of social support for such women.
    But we make it illegal, and support the ban of gender selective abortions as it is considered a crime.

On the same note, a careless women become pregnant and is not ready for a child due to career or simply because of loosing her figure due to pregnancy.
    Her right to abort her child is very much supported.

This is not a black and white situation. There are loads of grey area, where the government needs to thread with care

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The real issue arises when doctors adopt a paternalistic approach rather than an objective one, informing the patient and her family of all the pros and cons and leaving the decision to her. Of course, as long as the woman has no say in her reproductive rights, it is very dangerous to her interests to have such a rabidly pro-life approach. She will then be reduced to nothing more than a reproductive machine.

blissofmylife and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Until Government sets up some kind of institution to take over gestation, raising the child, and launching him/her into the world, they should have no business poking into the privates of women.
    If she needs it, she ought to have it, period.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Which is why there shouldn't be a loophole like religion in the constitution in the first place. Which is why abortion rates aren't as high in the us currently. Which is what the women are marching for. Access to basic rights. Memes can say whatever they want to say. Facts are far from Memes.

It very much is. It's called the separation of church and state. All of the stuff you mentioned about morality aren't legalese and shouldn't be. The moral policing isn't and should not be a part of the country's constitution.

There shouldn't be laws based on religion. Period. End of story.

blissofmylife, SunPa and SGBV like this.