1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right age to train the kid for taking shower and brushing the teeth by himself?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by skalluri, Jan 25, 2012.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I live in USA, I am a working Mom, My son is 7 years old, as morning schedules are hectic like in every house, I usually give him the shower and brush his teeth to save the time, but I am worried am I spoiling him by helping him too much. what is the appropriate age for kids to allow them to take the shower and brush their teeth, I know many of you may say it is the comfort level of the kid, but as a mom I thought I need to train him , is it right age to start. ofcourse we may need more time and thus need to wake up early for these training sessions:drowning

thanks for your inputs,
    SK

2. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

I think by age 5 I let my kid brush his teeth and now from 6 he takes his shower by himself .But you have supervise sometimes esp during weekdays he likes to play on the shower for some time so I keep a timer for him for shower .Initailly I sue to stand next to him and watch him do it ( yes I am control freak ) but then nowadays I let him do it by himself.He knows if he is late he is going to get less time for breakfast and play time so he finishes stuff in 10 mins :thumbsup.Good Luck .

1 person likes this.
  3. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

My DD is 2.5 now and she wants to bath herself! She also tries to do it, and when she does it, she doesn't want me to interfere! I let her do herself. I just give her suggestions like clean your hands, legs, pvt area, as it will be dirty as u played outside, etc. etc.. She listens to me and does it neatly. When she is done, she will ask for towel and wipes herself. Weekly twice or thrice she will bath herself. But head bath and shampoo I will do as she doesn't know and I am also worried...

Though she doen't do it the way we do and not as fast as we do, but I feel its OK to let her learn herself rather giving instructions. I guess by 5 she will bath herself...

I suggest you to let your DS bath himself... If you want him to learn give him some suggestions in between.. In that time you can do some other work.. If you tell him "I m making your BF ready,, by that time you have to finish your bath..Good boy..." Etc... And gradually he learns to manage his time also and will take bath himself...

Hope this helps... All d best!!!

4. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Thanks Ananya.. thats why I am trying to do now, giving him some sugestions and training him and asking him finish before I fnish making his breakfast ready, he is not having time sense that he needs to rush, may be I also need to put the timer.

Sujatha.

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Using Timer is good idea.. thanks for sharing that idea. I will buy stop clock timer to make him realize the time sense.

Sujatha.