1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Review of "The Zahir" by Paulo Coelho.

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Chitvish, Mar 6, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hello Purnima,

First of all, congrats...that was really brave of you to come forth with your first review , that too of such a profound book! It takes a while for the thoughts from this book to settle in and the fact that not only have you grasped the theme of the book but also all the underlying thoughts, ...and like Sridhar says you have maintained the suspense of the story throughout and the interest is created in the readers to read this book!
    I liked the way you have done this , and for a first attempt , this was good.
    Keep up the good work. Of course you have the advantage of all these writers helping you and guiding you in the right direction.
    All the very best for your future ventures!

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank you very much Sudha!

Your words made me feel that i have done something really 'great'... its a wonderful feeling especially getting it from writer icons like you!

I took up Zahir for the following reasons:

1) The book captivated me totally and i felt it would be unfair if i dont review that book.

2) Zahir like you said , the story is very complicated, and like Mr Varalotti rightly added, so many lines/verses in the book was captivating that for a moment i was wondering where to start and where to end! But the fact it was challenging pulled me to writing it!

Once again, thank you sudha for the wonderful encouragement. I am now reading "Veronica decides to die" by the same author. But yes , before that , my next review is going to be on one of Varalottis stories, just deciding on which one!

Please keep your thoughts pouring!

Regards,
    Purnima

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Great Purnima, But don't call me a writer icon etc..i just pass comments now and then that's all; and i happened to have read a few of Paulo Coelho 's books. I am also reading Veronica decides to die! So happy reading and reviewing.
    Which stories of Sridhar's do u plan to write...have you got the short stories collection as yet?

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It was quite nice, Purnima !

Dear Purnima,
    I think you have done a very good job, to begin with.
    As you know , since I am labelled Microwave mami, I am incable of going into the technicalities of reviewing. I think that is an advantage & I am incapable of pointing out the negative points in your review.
    To begin with, it is as deep & profound a book, as it is absorbing & so for us, beginners, to do a thorough job is not easy or possible.
    I enjoyed reading your review very much. Let me leave the rest to critics & literary people.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

HI sudha

Sudha, my mother has already bought the books for me , its in chennai, the day it was announced by Varalotti. Before the courier thing was announced itself the books were bought, because then i wasent sure whetheri would get the copies here in Mngalore.I am going to chennai next week and grab those books and start reading.. my reviews for those set of stories would start after that!Now i am going to hunt through IL site , and grab some of his old stories and then write!

Happy reading for you too! (of VEronica...)

Regards,
    Purnima

6. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank you Mrs CV

Though you have disappointed me a bit(!) but not giving a proper feedback, i am happy that you enjoyed reading the review. Your are senior to me in everything (including writing!), so your comments WOULD matter to me! Please try to give your personal opinion too!

Thanks and Regards,
    Purnima

7. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

I am hopping in late purnima, but sure i have!!

Dear Purnima,

First of al,l i am flattered to know u would appreciate my opinion. I being neither a professional reviewer of the raving reviews, nor having read "the Zahir", am definitely incapable of passing comments!!
    Being a lover of books myself, i must say that your review has surely inspired me to read this book without further ado!! I think that is the job of a review! is it not? To either dissuade or persuade and you have done the latter.

Keep up the enthusiasm and roll on!!

8. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Hi Prathi

Thanks for the wonderful encouragement.The purpose of the review is to induce the viewers to read the book, and being my first attempt i am happy that it pulled you into reading the book!!! I have also written a review on Varalottis 'Scar'', i have got a few feedbacks on my private mail saying its pretty good. Please give me your opinions on that and please read the story too. i have attached the link also. Its very touching, i really enjoyed the snippet and hope you too do!

I have noticed that your language and your style of writing is very good, that is why i wanted your opnion! :)

Keep pouring views!

Purnima

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  9. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hi again,

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, i too have read "the scar" and agree with u when you say it is very touching. I shall read your review on the same (after reading the story again) and get back to you!

CIAO till then

10. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Purnima - Zahir

Purnima, it took me a while to find the Zahir review - didn't realize that it was in this thread! Like going the world over and finding diamonds in your backyard! This was a mediocre review of an excellent book. In fact it can't be classified as a review as it was more like story narration. Your views and observations have not been portrayed forcefully. More emphasis should have been given on the meaning of Zahir and how each of the characters goes through kaleidescopic situations in the journey of life. PC brings out simple truths that all of us know - but the way he puts it forth makes us feel enlightened.
    Don't get disheartened by my comments - the harder you fall, the higher you rise.
    All the best,
    Sharada