1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Review of Alchemist!

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by purnima_2k, Mar 9, 2006.

1. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

hmm... just finished reading the book. Its on a higher plane, sets me thinking , has definitely left an impact on me. I am not here to give a review(as my title suggests), just to add on my views. I am waiting for Mrs CV/ Mr Varalotti for their opinions.

'The Alchemist' very beautifully explains the concept of God, who aparently is within every individual, object , thing and of course in the forces of nature. It leads a man to believe that the heart(the God within ourselves), speaks out its own language with merges with the language of the world. In other words , as PC puts it , the Language of the Soul equals the Language of the world!

We can relate these to everyday activites, the language of the heart , in other words what we say as "the intution" guides us in terms of dilemma and mostly we are at ease when we follow those 'instructions' or 'intutions' . For instance , when we approach two roads and dont know which path to taken and non availability of help nearby, we follow the language of our heart, and most of the times, it turns out to the right path!

When i got through some verses of the book again, i still cannot understand certain concepts what the author tries to say. A Person like CV, who is deeply into vedanta , can probably guide me through. I shall ask my doubts , after reading her review!

Overall a wonderful book, definitely on a higher plane and sets us thinking!

Regards,
    Purnima

1 person likes this.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi purnima,
    Great to hearthat you have enoyed the book and have tried to grasp the essence of this....
    I know Mrs Chitra must be on the way to finishing the book....i too am awaiing her spontaneous review!
    I read this about 4 months ago, and then gave it to my daughter...she too enjoyed it a lot! iT is definetely a good book for someone to FOLLOW THEIR DREAMS as PC says...and see where it leads them...and like you have said follow your intuition or listen to the language of your heart!

Good to see more PC fans....try to read his other books also, u wll definetely enjoy being led to the different planes that he explores!
    Happy Reading!

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Purnima &Sudha !

Since I was on the Zahir trip, a friend had borrowed the alchemist. So the earliest, I can get back is next week. But I think, you two have already conveyed the gist ! What is now left for me to do ?
    Purnima, if you want me to combine P C & eastern vedanta, it sounds like pasta sambar to me ! In the meanwhile, if our one & only Sridhar shares his views, I will
    q...u...i...e...t...l...y retreat !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Hahahah

Pasta and Sambar is good one! But i guess, the concept of God whether its eastern or western would be the same! So why not try this combination? :), it maybe tasty for all we know!!!

Please give us your views too, Mrs CV.. no hurry take your time!

Purnima

5. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

Alchemist-Worth Reading

Hey Ladies,
    I have read "the Alchemist" and strongly recommend reading it too..when i started reading te book it looked soo boring, the frustration was increasing with each page..and half the times things did not make sence at all..and the end was soo marvelous that u are simply "dazed".... then suddely everything in the book starts to make sence and all efforts seef worthwhile. Friends this book is just like life. Sometimes happy sometimes boring..sometimes sad..and very frustrating and half the times things that happen dont make sence..they just happen.. but if one goes on life's path with perseverence, faith and dignity, life definitly becomes fulfilling.

Ridhima