Returning to India (Chennai)

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by mum2012, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mum2012

mum2012 New IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,

As life foes change happens and one such is about to hit us! But why am i worried .... after all I am only returning back to my own home country ?
    I AM and the reason is that I have been away for around 15yrs and in those 15yrs a lot has changed !!

I am a mum of 2 boys ...10 (he will be 10yr next month) and 1 yr old both born and bred in the UK. We are planning to move to Chennai as a family....various reasons !! As a mum I am fretting:shaking: about the schooling of my 10yr old. He has been doing great here in london and loves his school. He swims, plays piano and chess. He has found a group of friends he gets on with here. I am worried how he will cope in India.

I am currently looking for schools in Chennai (preferably) or a boarding school anywhere in India. My son speaks of wanting to do Aeronautical Eng and going to NASA. He is only young and these aspirations may change.
    My ideal school would be one with a good academic challenge as well as an emphasis on extra-curricular work. A school that has good reputation for getting students into the likes of IIT or the IVY league universities.

I would be greatful for information based on your personal experiences or research. Any tips on how we can make this move easy on us as a family will also be helpful.

Many thanks in advance

2. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

The only suggestion I want to give you is 'against' putting your kid in a boarding school as soon as you move to India. Since the boy is bred abroad, first he has to get used to living in India along with you (your family) as a support system for the sudden change in everything around him. Once he is comfortable, then you can think about a boarding school.

1 person likes this.
  3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

It is but natural for you to feel this way, not because of your own self but because of your kids.

We always worry about how kids will adapt to change, but from many instances have noticed that kids accept a change much faster and easier in life than an adult.

Your boys are both very young. As long as your son has good friends, good company, a nice homely atmosphere etc. am sure he will love India. As a country, India is rich in culture and heritage which I am sure your child will learn to appreciate. Also kids grown up in India have more exposure and are more courageuos as outside India, parents tend to be over-protective and bring up the child in a cocoon.

Give your son some time to adjust. Schools are plenty in Chennai and from the number of foreigners that we see in our educational institutions, it is proof enough that our system is strong-based.
    Wish you GoodLuck!!!

4. mum2012

mum2012 New IL'ite

Thank you for the supportive replies. Yes ...am very anxious ...more now than i felt when i moved to UK ..simply because now i have reponsibilty for my kids !!

I will be visiting some schools in chennai and elsewhere in end of feb/march and have shortlisted schools in 3 diff categories : Academic, wholesome/rounded and Boaeding

Hopefully i will come to a decision once i have visited them all

Will update soon

In the meantime I welcome any useful insights from those who have moved to chennai/india or from those who have relatives/friends who have done the same

Thankyou