Return to India - Q's and Concerns about making the decision

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Why, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Why

Why New IL'ite

Hello,

My husband and I are in the USA from last 15 years. I worked before but after having kids now I am with them as a stay at home mom.
    Life in the USA is hard with just one salary. I am going banana's thinking about the next couple years, kids education our retirement etc. Every minute I keep thinking about doing something or the other to get some extra income to save for future.
    With that I was also thinking, if moving back to India would be a better option.

We have not been to India since 9 years. The only India we know is the one we left behind 9 years back. I keep hearing from friends that India is changed a lot and that we would get a huge shock if we visited there now.
    Moving from one country to another is a difficult decision to make.

Could any of you who have moved over to India from US shed some light on my below concerns:
    Bangalore or Poona would interest us.

1. How much would it cost per month for a decent apartment or house to rent ?
    2. How much would it cost per month on groceries ?
    3. How much would it cost per month on utilities ?
    4. Per month on Petrol ?
    5. Other monthly expenses if any ?
    6. How much do schools cost ?
    7. Generally what kind of yearly salary would it take to lead a comfortable life for a family of 4 - 2 kids and 2 adults ?
    8. Do kids adjust to the school system over there ?
    9. Can you keep your US citizenship and still live in India ?

Please share your valuable experiences and suggestions.
    Thank You.

2. roses99

roses99 Silver IL'ite

Welcome Onboard :) there are lot of opportunities in INDIA, this completely depends on your trust and patience. For sure you would love and feel happy coming back to India, developed a lot - Yes, seriously big YES... check with your friends if one available from B'lore of Pune.

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    if you plan to RTI to India,go with open mind & not some preconceived ideas or long remembered things....

I always feel the budget questions are very hard to answer as one has no idea what the posters family size ,life style,eating habits etc ....

for instance you can rent house in some posh locality at 5 times the cost at what you will pay in some average society........likewise the grocery for non veg will be 3 times more costly then that of vegans........similarily ,CBSE school will charge more compared to government but less compared to International ones.............

still,don't get disheartened..its very easy to find if you do some research online about schools & fee struture,the rental expected in area you decide through makaan com or other sites.........same way listen to news on NDTV & you will sure to find some item about inflation & some lady lamenting how she ispaying Rs 70 for a kg on onions and check online sites of big bazaar etc..

4. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I cannot answer other questions as i do not belong to R2I category...I am residing in BLR

5. larapowell

larapowell Bronze IL'ite

A goof lat to rent should cost around 20K. I however don't have answers to all your questions. But a salary of 1.5 lakhs should be good enough to stay in Pune. I like Pune very much. The life is neither too fast nor too slow. You get all the good amenities. your children might take some time to get used to the life. But it has some really good schools. You however should keep a tab on personal safety once you are there as it is not US. But it is still good.

6. mysonmyworld

mysonmyworld Silver IL'ite

We moved to b'lore in 2009 from US. since 2012 we are living in pune. i love both cities. cost of living is pretty much the same in both cities. i am answering your questions based on our life style.we r a family of 3.
    1. 3bdr apt - 17k/month. 2bdr duplex independent house(gated community) -20K/month
    2.groceries+utilities-15K-20K/month
    4.petrol-5k/month
    5.misc-2k-4K
    6.preschools-45k/year, international preschools-75K-1.2lakhs/year
    CBSE schools-48K/year, international schools-1.6-2.6 lakhs/year
    7.monthly salary can be 2 lakhs to lead a comfortable living for a family of 4.
    8.kids easily adjust to school system. there are lots of kids to play with. in fact,kids who got used to india will feel lonely in the US.festivals are so much fun in our apt. kids get to spend time with their grandparents ,cousins & other relatives more often.
    9. i think so.

7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

From my personal exp, if you move into your own house, you will end up saving a lot. In my case, my husband is from blore and has an own house. So, we moved in and we had lot of flexibility.
    So, in our case(being a DINK couple) our expenses were:
    groceries,veggies,fruits,eating out would be 25k
    travel incl petrol 5k
    utility bills like internet,electricity,water would be 4k
    clothes,etc..2k(we shop very less as we got tons of clothes from usa)

because of this we could invest in 2 new plots for which emi is around 60k which we share.

If you are already low on cash for buying a house in blore(which is by the way getting expensive day by day), life will be much smoother in USA.
    Cuz when you come back, there will be all sorts of comparisons about the house,schools, clothes, lifestyle from near and dear...
    they will assume that you are a crorepathi since you returned back assuming that you had made more than enough money in USA...just be prepared.

8. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Bangalore-The rent would differ hugely depending on the area you choose to live. A 2bhk in city center would be 30000, outside 20000. Villa in a gated community- city center- upto 1 lac per month, outside- upto 50000 .
    Groceries- 4000 per month
    utilities- 4000 per month
    Petrol depends on travel
    How much schooling costs will depend on how old your kids are and in which board they want to study ( state,cbse, icse or international)
    @Why you will have to be more specific about your requirements.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014