Return Gifts - Baby Shower

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Halosandwings, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Halosandwings

Halosandwings Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I am planning for a traditional baby shower/Seemantham in my 7th month. It's a very small gathering with 8 couples. I am planning to get silver kumkum boxes from India. I am planing to give goody bags with kumkum box, cute gender specific key chain from Amazon, Fruit (most likely apple) with small packets of turmeric and kumkum. This is the very first time we are organizing any function. So I was wondering if this is too little to put in the goody bag? Are people expected to keep more interesting stuff... I am confused... I would appreciate some input in this regard. Also, my husband will be bringing the kumkum boxes from India and I was wondering if there will be any issues with the customs? I am hoping not as they are not a lot in quantity. Is there anything else we should get from India as return gifts? BTW, we are from Andhra, currently living in US. I understand local traditions play an important role in deciding these customs. My parents and In-laws do not have the tradition of baby shower. Inputs from women living in United States in this regard would be much appreciated.

MNR likes this.

2. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Hi Congrats!! for baby shower can add kumkum box, kumkum & turmeric, bangles, blouse bit,a small towel bit chocolates,
    nuts pouch (prepared at home using tiny ziplock ), and an apple to the bag. u can get all these items from india. It would be more traditional as we celebrate in India here in USA.

MNR likes this.
  3. Halosandwings

Thank You Dollysonpari, Nuts pouch is a great idea.. Nature Valley sells snack sized pouches of 8.. I can use them. We decided against bangles as we may not know the size of the people. I have mixed feelings about blouse pieces.. as most often they are rotated from one person to another without anyone using them :D... But it is traditional and customary.....

4. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Due to size issue of bangles , u can consider Bindi's packet ( which we apply on forehead)

5. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

You can consider giving fruits, nuts (consumables) like in India they give coconut as thamboolam. Those were good olden days where thamboolam plate was kept with kumkum, turmeric and flowers. Every women used to apply or take if they wanted. Fruits, coconut and betel leaves were handed over as gifts. Eco friendly also. even blouse piece was not part of it.

I mostly dont like blouse pieces/bangles/ other articles because we may not the taste of others and most of them will be lying unused. They will be used for rotating only.

6. Halosandwings

Thanks Sonal... Bindis is a good idea..
    Thanks MNR...I would include more of food items...

Is there anything I can buy in United States?