1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Return gift or older children and relatives / friends, baby 1st b'day

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by cooks2010, Apr 15, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello, my family will be hosting my one year old's b'day in India. There will be only 4-5 kids under the age of 3yr. The rest of the 10-15 kids are older (10-14 yrs).

Is it customary in India to give return gift to older children and / or adult family members?

I was planning to give a small goodie bag for the smaller children (3yrs), but wasnt sure how it works in India regarding older children and adults?

Additional info, the party will be around 20-30 families. It will be held in a club / hotel and will be catering food/ cake etc.

Should I take something from US as a return gift or buy from India. My budget here would be around $10-15 per gift and in India around Rs. 500.

Any comments appreciated. Little confused about this.

thanks,
    Cooks

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.

2. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks rosey I am not sure what silver flowers are? Can u explain more?

Cooks.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Cooks it is not “required” to give party favors at all. But then, it has become a norm that we give these days, if possible. I have attended only 3 birthday parties in India so far (i.e the big one’s which they host in hotels) and in all 3 of them, only the kids got the party favors, not the adults. Not sure how everyone else is doing it.
    But in the parties that I hosted here, I have given a small favor bag to adults as well.

Since you are coming from US, people would really love something from here, i.e if space is not a constraint for you to take them to India. $15 is a lot of money. I am sure you will find plenty of things in that budget.

4. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

ya its not complsory to give return gifts... I wud suggest you buy the gifts in india.. u get lot of stuff within 100Rs for the smaller kids... for the older kids... am not sure whether to give dem return gifts or not...

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

If you are giving a return gift to the smaller children, it would be nice for the older ones to receive a gift too. They may act all grown up, but secretly they would love a gift too (I have a 14 year old nephew, and though he never asks for anything, if he gets a surprise gift...however small....I can see the joy in his eyes).

Suggestions would be for girls - small nailpolish kits, make up kits, kits to make all sorts of crafts etc
    Boys are a different matter altogether (much tougher unfortunately) but you can get them a nice pen set, or a digital sports watch (which will be easily available in your budget)

Happy birthday in advance to your little one.

sindmani likes this.
  6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks! Everyone for your suggestions, great ideas.

Cooks

7. seagreen

seagreen Gold IL'ite

we did our daughter's 1st birthday in India , similar setting. Had the same confusion, so we have 1 kg sweet boxes to each family plus lil goodie bags just for kids.

8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

That's a great idea!!! Will go ahead with that.

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

when is the party BTW?

10. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

My lil ones Bday was just last week. I gave kids simple back packs with their name embroidered on them + my lil ones name...its hard work but kids loved their names on their bags :). Also big companies needed minimum order so I went for a small ladies group(something like dwakra..) and they made the bags out of interest and love....I loved the feeling.

If theres time you can plan...and I think its easier in India for customizing tailors..