1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Nov 19, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Sometimes it's hard to tell if retirement is a reward for a lifetime of hard work or a punishment. ~Terri Guillemets

All these days I was feeling happy after retirement but of late I feel that retirement should not be at sixty but till we feel like working. For working people sitting at home is very difficult especially after children
    get married and are well settled. Earlier years of retirement was good as I was busy with their marriage While working dont know how the time passes and we meet so many people and get to know so many things. Also everyday can wear different kinds of sarees as I am saree lover. Now got a craze tomake jewellery and make jewellery matching my sareeand wear for functions.

Now a days as you all know I keep busy myself making jewelleries and I dont know how the time passes. Everyday want to try new ones and when I get appreciation feel very happy. I usually make with stones like a necklace but people like long chains. Since I am busy in making them now a days dont get time to come here where once upon a time I could not do without IL and whenever net was not available used to go to the cafe. Beginning I used to use computer and in 2014 my son bought a laptop, so used to use laptop, then my daughter got me a mobile where I used to get net, so stopped using laptop. This year my son got two mobiles as the earlier one was not working properly. So now use only mobile and only laptop sometimes.

Glad and thanks to God that He has given us a blessed life and able to go for poojas. Now till December sapthangam and Ayyappa poojas are there in different places . So wait to attend those .

N ow I am waiting for retirement from life whicht is not in our hands. Justlikewe can retire from job when we want as now a days VRS can be taken when we want , we should also have a choice when we want to retire from life. So that when we get bored of life then can retire from life too.

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Your thoughts aren’t going in right direction ! Do not think of VRS from life ever .
    Visit your children :) start watching some series in laptop . Movies ... anything . You can also be a part of any ngo or teach some poor children .
    I know that feeling of bore , 3 days in a row at home and I miss Office . But we have to keep ourself beyond offfie too .
    Read , right , teach , sing and take care of your health :)keep well .

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Reminds me of a Hollywood movie. After retirement fro a very senior position, he thinks the office may not be working as efficiently as happened in his tenure. He visits office and finds his junior occupying his seat. He enquired if all is okay and is told that everything is fine. He thinks they may ask for some advice but no such thing happens. The Manager excuses himself saying he has to attend a important meeting.
    Yes post retirement can be taxing. The only way out is to do all those things one could not do while working. Like traveling to places with spouse. Reading, writing, anything that keeps busy.

4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

All responsibilities are done. Now start living your own life which was not possible earlier.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    As we enter this world our expiry date, time, venue and all get etched. We have to wait patiently for that permanent retirement. But remember, this birth and death will continue until we become One with the Ultimate One above. We don't know how many more Janmas we have to take in different forms to attain this eternal bliss.
    PS

6. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear viji ma

Its really nice to read your post :).

God is a clever. If he has given such a choice, he was pretty sure no one will wait for retirement from office to retire from life. We humans are short cut lovers!! I feel that is why he kept breathing automatic. If we were supposed to do it manually, it must have been real fun :D.

It is good that you are keeping yourself busy with so many positive activities. You are lucky you get to attend sapthaham and bhajanas. I have long way to reach my retirement but it is my dream to attend sapthahams, bhajans and temple and live in some ashram without any baggage. Let us wait and see what god has planned for me :).

7. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Please write one more story....I really enjoyed...:D

iyerviji likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear meri pyaari Viji, a thought-provoking snippet. Not from life, but sometimes, I imagine a retirement from people. Or at least from too many people. : ) A little quiet and a little less of people to respond and keep up with.

Did you notice ashima has become so sayaani (wise) and talking wise thoughts? Lagta hai beti per gayi hai. :p She seems to have taken after her bitiya rani.
    9 months have flown by? Howdy? Have been reading your deep posts. Through The Lens Of A Teacher

iyerviji, ashima10 and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

I totally agree with you. 60 is too early to retire. People are mentally and physically active until much later in life these days, but given our population, younger people also need jobs to do!!! :) I sort of retired after a very short stint of working (or let me put it this way - retirement was forced upon me). Life gave me an opportunity to do everything I wanted to do when I was studying and working but never had the time to do. Then I started feeling guilty and got back to work and study again. I do enjoy it, but do miss the extra time I had to do all I loved to do. Some days when my students give me a raw time, I wonder if it is time to retire again, but then think no, not quite yet.

Vijima, I can understand your desire to retire from life when you feel lonely or don't feel your normal enthusiasm. But think of all the times when you have felt like that and then after a short while, you have found your enthusiasm again. I can understand people who are terminally ill wanting to take VRS from life, but boredom or loneliness is certainly no reason to do so. We just have to keep going. Who knows what the purpose to our life is. Until it is fulfilled, there is no retirement for us.

So cheer up and get back to IL. You used to be very cheerful when you were here full time. Maybe you could consider taking a break from jewellery making and get back to writing or you could post your jewellery pics in the jewellery forum. It will give you reason to interact with a lot of ILites and to get to know a lot of the new ones too.

10. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Vijima had a look at your jewellery,They are really awesome....i do quilling jewellery to..My dad got retired at the age of 60 after that he was at home for few days...He never liked it and again he worked for a private firm as a manager for next 5 yrs...now he is 65 and resigned 2 months back..All he says is I cant be idle..He spends time with my 5 months DS now...But after few months I need to join my hubby back and I keep thinking of my parents as how they can handle being alone...dad keeps helping mom,loves gardening and every veggie from the plant is a baby for him :)
    Some how he keeps occupied and says work untill you can :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    iyerviji likes this.