1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rosylife, Jan 21, 2019.

1. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

i am a second generation NRI in the middleeast. I and my husband both have small families. Since we are in middle east we can’t retire here.

I am just thinking how lonely we will be once we retire. Since we just visit our relatives once or twice we are not very close with them. How should we plan our retirement to avoid lonliness.

I have contact with my cousins throughout whatsapp. Some of them reply others don’t even respond. No one intiates conversations.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

If you are there for the long haul (you say, 2nd gen!!), learn Arabic, if you are not already fluent in it.
    Save money and buy a condo in Beirut. It is a cosmopolitan city, with nice climate (mediterranean) and foods, as well as short hop to Europe. Meld with the locals.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

Okay I am not sure what to say..
    I have been here all my life (almost 30) and mostly will be staying for another 10 years or more. I want to settle in India as We won’t get citizenship here.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

ah..haa. Want to settle in India, was not in OP. Anyhow... instead of buying a condo in Beirut (that city even has a Gurudwarasahib!), you can use the money to get an investor visa to the USA/Canada, for yourself and your whole (nuclear) family. And after 10 years in the middle-east move to USA or Canada.
    Global warming is expected to make Canada more warm, and southern and coastal USA downright uncomfortable.

5. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

Parents on both sides want to be in India itself. Siblings haven’t decided where they want to settle down. Now the loneliness issue is going Increase after parents times.

6. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Are both of your families in India? Do you have friends and relatives in India? It's gonna be a huge change since you have spent most of you life outside.

This is just be an idea that I am sharing and I had liked it when I spent sometime with this family. Few years back I had visited an island called Langkawi in Malaysia and had met this couple who might be in their late 40's-early 50's. They had spent their life working in bigger cities overseas and wanted to spend a peaceful life now so they moved back to this place in their country. Consider this island more like a small village where you get to eat fresh and more of a peaceful life. For earning, they both would build small houses made of wood and then rent out on AirBnb and her husband was doing a small part time on the side. They also spend time with the locals around while their grown up kids are studying/working in bigger cities of Malaysia.

Am not sure if this would work in your case... but just an idea and if you do like something like this, you can start thinking on similar lines for moving back to India.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Are you now arguing in favor of moving far away from India ?

8. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Dear op

You can take vacation to India during cousins marriage or important social gathering so you could get to know your relatives and get close to them and stay in touch

And don't worry too much about relatives, these days friends are more close than relatives. Once you move to any apartment community you will have your own social circle and immediate family and relatives get together n gatherings.

You can feel lonely being in kndkI or any part of world. It's all about how you socialze. And trust me with raising kids and your own tiny family you will be too busy to feel lonely. Develop a hobby spend quality time with dh n kid.