Retired life:

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Megalife, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

As I wriggled out of bed early morning with a half shut eye, I couldn’t stop myself from fantasying about my retired life. Why do people crib about getting retired?...I wonder, is it the reduced income? Or is it the certain luxuries and materialistic wealth we might have to compromise on due to poor health? Well a Mediclaim policy and a little bit of savings can pull us through the first part at least!
    Role models for me for a retired life would be my parents. I envy my parents when they wake up as and when they please and go to bed in a similar manner. They are free to alter their schedule to suit their other engagements, programme etc even at the last minute. They are only answerable to themselves. All my life I have seen my parents lead an extremely frenzied life. My Dad and Mom had a very hectic career, they wouldn’t walk, I have seen them on the wings most of the time. I just couldn’t imagine that they would say this to me one day “we find retired life very peaceful, relaxed and fun filled!” Fun filled???....yes…that’s what they say. Their idea of fun is waking up without an alarm, a quick hot water bath, a cup of black coffee which they drink together on the portico, while they gossip about anything and everything under the sun. My mom goes to the kitchen and my father gets into his work clothes. When the weather is encouraging, he takes a small spade, a towel and a small basket; he’s ready to explore our land which is an undulated terrain. He climbs up-up-up; he has a certain patch of land targeted each day. On his way up he collects some ripe tomatoes, colourful birds eye chilies, crispy spinach, bright purple brinjal, curry leaf, bitter gourd etc. etc. in the basket. He stops for a while and digs around one coconut tree everyday; It gives him immense satisfaction to plant his own vegetables, coconut, pepper, rubber, bananas, jackfruit and watch them grow, and then harvest the yield. He is a Jack of all trades!!! After one hour he is sweating and has mud all over him (mind you, he’s not a professional at this, half the mud he digs goes over his head….). My mom comes up with a thermos of tea, the newspaper and some breakfast, they eat it together on the grass. She heads back home with the basket of veggies to be cooked during the day and my dad goes back to digging for another few minutes. He comes home totally exhausted and they both go out; either to the market/paying bills/pension office or to visit our nearby relatives, weddings,.. suchlike….they come back for a simple lunch which is already cooked and kept in casseroles. They have a nice siesta, evening tea with snacks (which have been reduced to almonds, brown Rusk over the past 2 yrs). Then it’s time for their news, soaps (my mom). My father sits there crushing the soaps and watching it in the bargain.:lol: I deduce he really enjoys it but can’t come to terms that he could find them entertaining.

Rainy days are even more fun for them; they spent a lot of time in the garage, sorting out junk and enjoying a breakfast on the portico. How romantic! Their conversation mostly revolves around their past colleagues, the office gettogethers, reminences of good old days. The helping hands which pulled them through life’s difficult situations remains green in their memory; they take a break and give these old time friends a call….which is followed by a long chat, laughter and chuckles from both the ends. There’s a lot of contentment in their laughter.
    They retire to bed; sleep undisturbed and wake up fresh. Retirement has opened up to them a whole new world of possibilities. A very enjoyable existence, something like a second honeymoon!:tongue
    Taking them as an example , I fantasize my retirement as a time to enjoy life! So to all the ILs like me who are caught up in the net of humdrum mid-life existence “THE BEST IS YET TO COME”…………………:2thumbsup:
    Megalife

12 people like this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

mega,
    thts so lovely...when we work we feel the same..when i quit work early this year i was thinking i could enjoy atleast a hot cup of coffee early in the morning with my Dh but after coming here i see i have enough work in the morning like making his lunch box and getting my DD ready..i will be waiting for the weekends where we can get some time atleast without thr daily hurries..am too waiting for that peaceful life and living at my in-laws place growing vegetables and fruits in the backyard and do things as per our own time and wishes..
    i will be happy to see my parents spending such nice time after my Dad retires in the mid of this year..

3. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Wondeful description Megaji..Some small care taken during working years makes retired life a heaven....!!!

4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    Sometimes I call them home and then on the mobile, there's no answer. I get panicky, and they call back after awhile saying they were up near the coconut trees enjoying their morning breakfast (ofcourse with no mobiles)!!!:bonk
    Sometime back dad had ventured into Orchid cultivation, the initial blooms were happily donated to the Church alter decoration and for a few friend's wedding car decorations. The next season saw a bad attack of pests and worms eating into his dear orchids...he spent a good amount of time and money on it and got back a pile of worm-eaten plants. He still says he enjoyed every bit of his Orchid cultivation....HUH?:bowdown
    Mega

5. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

hi mega,

Wonderful post..... makes me look forward to this final stage in our circle of life.

love,
    kylie

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi haagesummane
    Befor we realise we will be there, in their shoes! My dad says, it gives you so much peace to be surrounded with greenary and fresh air. And they both draw a good amount as pension so thank the lord they are not dependent on anybody. Glad that you enjoyed it!
    Mega

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kylie
    Won't that be fun..???..waking up late and lazing around in bed, reading our fav book/Magazine late night in bed....AAhaaa...
    Thanks for the fb.
    Mega

8. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Megalife: There is a saying in tamil, "Ikkaraikku akkarai pachai" (i.e. grass on the other side is always greener). While it sounds good to laze around, but the question is for how many days? :)

I keep seeing so many active people post retirement who infact get up at 5:30 am in the morning without alarm. Its a different phase of life and with its fair share of advantages and dis-advantages.

Keeping a good health is important to enjoy that phase of life and that is something to be done now. :)

9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aspire
    Nice to hear from you...true,, may be I will know the glories of Rtd. life only when I get there! ...but then what goes in some wishful dreaming?
    Mega

10. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Plan for early retirement! :)