Restaurant Style North Indian Curry

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by GoneGirl, Apr 4, 2018.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Hope you will be able to help me here.. anytime i make a north indian curry (dishes like channa masala, mattar paneer) it doesn’t taste (or look) like the ones I have at the Indian restaurant :(
    am trying to replicate it, my question is-what is it that makes their base? I try adding tomato, then it becomes sour and tastes too much like tomato..or adding water dilutes the taste..too much cream makes it bland...so how do you guys make it? What is your recipe? Any tips appreciated!

2. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Hi GoneGirl,

Try making the base gravy thick. You can grind the masala - onion tomato with spices and to make it think, u can try adding some beaten curd or cashews or Poppy seeds.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Sinant

Nylaa, Amica, shravs3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

what i follow is..

saute onions and tomatoes well really well.
    in a bowl take a tblsp of curd beat it to it add the masalas. beat it well and add it to the above onions mixture and saute well. then add water and the chana and allow it to boil and mash a few chana while you mix it. will add thickness. garnish with chopped coriander..

shravs3, Anisu and GoneGirl like this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hey Gonegirl, I struggled for years to get a perfect North Indian curry gravy and finally found one that works the best for me. I use this for paneer, chicken, eggs, mushrooms.

Heat two tsp oil, fry whole cinnamon ( 1 -2 inches) , 1 whole green cardamom, add half a onion , one clove garlic, 1.5 inches ginger. Sauté. Add 1-2 chopped tomatoes , sauté till they soften. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, 1/4 th tsp Kasoori methi. Let this cool and blend it with cream and a few cashewnuts or almonds. ( I use yoghurt instead of cream , but use only 1 tomato if you do).
    In a pan sauté the mushrooms or paneer , add this gravy, a little garam masala powder and let this cook for a good 5 -10 mins atleast. Garnish with cilantro.

Sinant, Nylaa, Amica and 4 others like this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The secret to Indian cooking is bhuno, bhuno and more bhuno. :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Shanvy and shravs3 like this.