Restarting career in USA

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sumathymai, Oct 12, 2009.

1. sumathymai

sumathymai New IL'ite

Hello Indus Ladies,
    I am a new member in this community.
    I currently live in US on H4 visa. I used to work in IT field before marriage. After having kids, I see that I have taken 8 years of break :cry: Recently I got EAD and now on the look out for a job and sending out applications. So far no positive response. Would seeking out any recruiter be any help in getting a job.? I just need an entry !! Anyone experienced, please pour your thoughts !!! I have experience working in VB and SQL server.

2. desigir

desigir Junior IL'ite

I suggest you contact a staffing company or an IT consulting company. They can help you brush up your skill and take training if necessary and also help place you. Since you are on EAD it should be easier to place you.

Good Luck :thumbsup

3. lavanyaA

lavanyaA Junior IL'ite

I had a break of like 3 years when I joined the job here. They usually what you r doing.. It would not look good you say "I stayed at home for past 8 years".. Before actually applying for job. I would consider joining some consultany or joining as volunteer in some company.. If you join a consultancy you can refrsh your memory and also learn the new things which came in the past 8 years..And also you can answer like I volunteered in this consultancy for a years.. They main draw back with consultancies will be like they would take 20% of your salary when you get a job that is ok..Beause some job with less money is ok over noo job.. But dont try to put fake experience.. Try to read a lot about your field.. If you wish I can send some links of consultancies who do online training in java(wed designing).. And also you have your own work permit which is a plus point on your side. :thumbsup..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sumathy - I too went back to work after a break in the US. I'm a software person too. Try posting your resume on all the job boards(I got mine thru monster). Try and refresh your skills as much as possible(try certifications). I got certified before trying again. You can probably look for voluntary work as well. I did talk to a lot of recruiters, some helped later when I was looking for a change. Networking is key to finding a job. Talk to your friends and see if there are opening in their firms.
    In the US, personal question are avoided completely during interviews because of the legalities involved but the break can be questioned. I told the truth(stayed home with baby till she grew older). In India, I got a lot of unwanted Qs(this is now after moving back and taking a break to settle things here). How will you manage now when you could not manage a yr ago etc, but that was not the case there.
    Good luck!

5. divyachinvar

divyachinvar New IL'ite

Lavanya,
    I am a also software engineer currently at home for 8months . Could u pl give the name of some consulting firms who do give trainings and give a parttime or fulltime jobs.

6. Sansub

Sansub Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sumathy
    Mine is the same situation like urs.I worked for 2 years before marriage.And now its been 4 years break for me.Iam desperately trying to get into a job like you.But no psitive response till now.I have been trying for the past one year.I have an ead too.Dont know what to do.