1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Restarting 17 day diet

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by priya666, Mar 5, 2013.

1. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Just a short introduction of myself, I am in my early 30's, stay at home mom, with a weight problem since childhood.

Over the past years have been trying to loose weight with a few ups and downs.

My highest ever was 88 kg and currently am at 79.5 kgs.

Since the past few weeks I have been trying to restart my diet plan but things go kaput ........

So have decided to make myself accountable and hence am starting this thread.

If anyone is interested to join me I would be more than happy to have company, there are a lot of links on google in regard to the same.

I start my diet from tmmr. So tmmr would be day 1 cycle 1. Cycle 1 has 17 days in all.

Will update everyday from now.

Regards
    Priya

2. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

hii priya...

h r u?

i would like to know d 17day diet plan...last few yrs i gained soooo much weight..iam trying to loose all those extra kgs..
    can u please share ur diet plan..

thanks..

3. rkarunak

rkarunak Silver IL'ite

congrats on your effort.
    Just curious. What is this 17-day diet plan?

4. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Where is plan...?

5. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

Overview
    Dr. Moreno’s *(Dr. Mike’s) 17 Day Diet is a cycled eating plan that alters the amounts of carbohydrates, proteins and fats you eat every few days. Divided across four phases, each is designed to accomplish a different objective: burning fat, resetting the metabolism and teaching you proper portion control and hunger signs.

This clean eating plan avoids sugar, processed foods, fried foods and other heavy dishes and teaches your body to* nourish itself through eating*healthy*food like turkey and asparagus spears and other cleansing vegetables.

The Diet also shares tips to avoid holiday weight gain: It encourages you to pre-diet, which means to eat a healthy dinner before you attend holiday parties or other festive occasions that are food-focused. And when you’re at the party, choose only two to three of the healthiest appetizers. You’re also encouraged to stay away from the buffet table and say no to festive desserts and candy.

The 17 Day Diet does not mean you can lose all the weight you want to lose in 17 days! (Don’t I wish!) The reason it’s called the 17 Day Diet is it was initially created to help keep people from gaining weight through the holidays. It was later developed into four, 17 day Cycles, structured to cause “metabolic confusion” by adjusting food intake and habits at regular intervals. The idea is that the body will burn more abdominal fat by varying calories consumed.

This is not a fad diet. Although it does promote quick weight loss at first it’s based on lean proteins, vegetables, fruit and eventually whole grains.

Here are the four Cycles:

Accelerate: This promotes fast weight loss by eating low carbohydrates and “cleansing” the body
    Activate: This is a metabolism boosting cycle where the metabolism is “re-set”
    Achieve: “Good” carbohydrates are introduced into the body
    Arrive: A lifestyle eating plan that combines the first 3 Cycles

On the First Cycle you can eat all you want of the following proteins, they’re referred to as “FREEBIES”: Salmon – canned or fresh, Sole, Flounder, Catfish, Tilapia, Canned Light Tuna, Chicken Breast and Turkey Breast (boneless, skinless of course), Lean Ground Turkey, Eggs (No more than 4 a week or 2 per day), Egg Whites are unlimited.

You get 2 servings a day of a probiotic choice: Either 6 oz of Sugar-free yogurt, 1 Cup of Kefir, 1/2 Cup Breakstone LiveActive cottage cheese or 1 Cup of Low-fat Acidophilus Milk. (Basically the acidophilus milk is just low-fat milk with probiotics added to it the same with the cottage cheese).

No other dairy except fat free cheese, fat free sour cream as condiments and in moderation (see below).

Vegetables are limited to “Cleansing Vegetables” but are also “FREEBIES” and can be eaten anytime: Artichoke and Artichoke Hearts, Asparagus, Bell Peppers (all colors), Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Green Beans, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce (all varieties), Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Scallions, Spinach, Tomatoes, Watercress.

Fruit, two servings daily before 2:00 PM of Apples, Berries-all types, Grapepfruit, Oranges, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Prunes, Red Grapes, Prickly Pear Cactus, Lemons.

Condiments allowed in moderation are:* : Salsa, Low-carb marinara, Lite Soy Sauce, Low-Carb Ketchup,*Fat Free*Sour Cream,*Low-Fat Low-Salt Broth, Truvia,*Sugar Free*Jams/Jellies, Vegetable Cooking Spray,*Fat Free*Cheeses,*Fat Free Salad Dressing, Salt, Pepper, Vinegar, Mustards, Herbs and Spices.

Remember these are allowed in*”moderation”.* In this Cycle you can eat as much as you want of specific proteins and cleansing vegetables.* You don’t have to count anything except 2 daily fruit servings, 2 probiotic servings and your fat serving (1 to 2 tbls of friendly fat – Olive Oil or Flaxseed Oil -*to use on salad, vegetables or for cooking)

You start everyday with one 8 ounce cup of hot water mixed with half a lemon.* You can count this as one of your 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day.

On Cycle 2 you can add Additional Proteins – Shellfish and Lean Cuts of Meat

Natural Starches: (1 serving = 1/2 cup) – Brown Rice, Bulgur, Barley, Couscous, Cream of Wheat, Grits, Basmati Rice, Oatmeal

Legumes (1 serving = 1/2 cup) – Black Beans, Butter Beans, Garbanzo, Northern, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto and Soy Beans, Lentils, Peas

Starchy Veggies – Breadfruit, Corn, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squashes, Yams

Add two daily servings of natural carbohydrates (not to be eaten after 2:00 PM) … everything else stays the same

Some of the meal plans look like this:

Cycle 1
    (Protein) scrambled *egg whites with apple and green tea
    large green salad with tuna and balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with green tea
    grilled chicken with steamed or raw vegetables, with green tea
    Cycle 2:

(Protein), fresh peach, and green tea
    chicken salad, brown rice, sugar-free fruit-flavored yogurt, green tea
    grilled salmon with steamed vegetables, green tea
    Cycle 3:

whole wheat toast, hard-boiled egg, apple, green tea
    grilled chicken Caesar salad, whole wheat toast, fresh fruit, green tea
    roasted pork tenderloin, mixed salad, green tea
    Cycle 4:

scrambled eggs, sliced peaches, green tea
    grilled salmon on lettuce bed, green tea
    rib eye steak, Caesar salad, baked sweet potato, two glasses red wine
    EXERCISE

Dr. Moreno gives you a 17-minute exercise that you can do every day to reshape your body*OR asks that you walk at least 17 minutes a day.* (Anyone can do 17 minutes, right)* More is better of course but 17 minutes is minimum!

CONCLUSION

The 17 Day Diet is a weight loss plan that is designed to help you take off weight quickly and effectively. *The cycled eating plan features four distinct phases that are intended to burn fat, re-teach you how to eat and most importantly, reset your metabolism so that it works efficiently and smartly.

NEWBIE TIPS YOU WILL NOT FIND IN THE BOOK BUT ARE IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW:

*NEWBIE TIPS: First make sure the yogurt you use has 9 grams or less of sugar per serving. It may contain fruit (doesn’t count for your fruit for the day) BUT if you get plain yogurt – to use in place of sour cream or to add your own fruit or sugar free jelly or jam, then get non fat Greek style. IF you add your own fruit then it DOES count for your fruit for the day.

Also, if you use the menus in the book they are too low in calories if used alone. You must supplement them with foods off the freebies list. You can have as much as you want, any time you want from the lists on your cycle. You should NEVER be hungry. If you are – EAT just make sure you’re eating something that’s allowed on your cycle. Remember the food on the protein and veggie lists can be eaten at any time, in any amounts!

*Make sure to take a multivitamin as suggested in the book. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Green Tea can deplete you of iron. If you have any problems with iron you should not drink the tea….and you should not drink it during “that time” of the month, but if you do, be cautious. If you begin to feel lethargic then stop drinking it, wait a few days and see if you feel better. Often the Green Tea is depleting people of iron and causing them to have very low energy. But definitetly take the multivitamin.

Supplement the menus by at least 200-400 calories a day. As long as you are eating the foods allowed on your cycle you’re okay. Remember you can eat the protein and veggies in your cycle any time in any amount! The menus can get very boring, very fast. In fact I don’t recommend them. It’s best to create your own menus using the food lists and the cookbooks. This way your meals are interesting and delicious. People who just follow the menus in the book don’t seem to do as well on the diet because they get bored too fast.

*Have something prepared you can eat anytime in any amounts. This is important. The soup recipe in the book is one idea or I keep ground turkey, cooked at all times in my fridge. I cook it in garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, pepper, red bell pepper and onion…and brown it very well. I keep this mixture and a head of cabbage and lettuce, cleaned and ready to go, in the fridge all the time!! This way if I’m hungry I get out the meat, cabbage, shredded nf cheese, salsa, nf plain Greek yogurt and onion and can make a wrap or turkey taco in a minute that you can eat 24/7. It’s always the first thing I go for when I’m hungry or want a late night snack!

Eat fruit 8 hours before bed whenever that it. I don’t go to bed until 2:00AM so I can eat fruit until about 6:00 PM. It does not have to do with 2:00 PM it has to do with not eating fruit 8 hours before bed. He only said 2:00 PM because he assumed people go to bed at 10:00 PM. Well, not at this house! LOL

I was a participant on the diet on The Doctors Show. You can read more about me under “About Me” on the blog! I’m glad you’re here…you will be successful if you stick with it!

I promise!* Please feel free to contact me at:* tksinclair@cox.net with “17 Day Diet” in the Subject if you have any questions or click on the “scales with feet” to take you to our Facebook site where questions are answered frequently and more recipes posted.

COPY PASTED FROM INTERNET.
    MANY OF THE THINGS ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN INDIA AND HENCE I SUBSTITUTE OR ELIMINATE THOSE THINGS COMPLETELY.

1 person likes this.
  6. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

So the above post by me is a big and may be a little confusing.

During cycle 1 which is of 17 days my typical day is as below.

Lemon and hot water on waking up.
    Breakfast - eggs and fruit or dahi and fruit.
    Green tea
    Snack - fruit
    Lunch - salad or sautéed vegetables with chicken or egg, if not had at breakfast.
    Snack - green tea, vegetables, or dahi ( may take as an keen lassi)
    Dinner - chicken/ fish or salad.

Rules of cycle 1 -
    Lemon water hot in morning
    Green tea 3 times a day - I miss out on it
    Fruit 2 servings, not after 2 pm
    Probiotic 2 servings daily 6 ounces each
    Vegetables and protein from approved list unlimited
    Oil 2 tbsp a day in salad or cooking.

Regards
    Priya

7. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

C1D1

Morning : 1/2 apple
    Breakfast : Egg salad - 2 egg white boiled, carrot, lettuce, mustard, 1/2 tsp mayo and*Tea with 1 tsp sugar and 2 tsp milk
    Lunch: 1 pc chicken with onion raita and 1 orange.
    Evening : leftover egg salad and walnuts.
    Dinner : 2 pc chicken with onion raita

Will have 1/2 cup coffee with milk and sugar a little later.

Milk and sugar are not allowed but I will be having 2 cups a day and try to have one cup green tea as well.

8. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

C1D2

Morning : 2 tbsp masala rice while cooking - not allowed on c1 and Tea with 1 tsp sugar and 2 tsp milk
    Breakfast : Dahi with apple and strawberries.
    Lunch: 1 pc chicken and 1/2 cup masala rice ( it's my weakness will not make it for the next 2 weeks)
    Evening : handful walnuts
    Dinner:kuchumber salad with 2 pc chicken
    1/2 cup coffee with milk and sugar

9. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

C1d3

Morning : Green tea
    Breakfast : carrot, cucumber and onion salad with *mayo
    Lunch :**dahi with strawberries.
    Evening :**1 cup coffee with milk and sugar; handful namkeen 1 Marie
    Dinner : chicken 2 pcs with onion and green chutney
    Night : 2 squares dark chocolate