1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Rice With Millets ?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Archanaanchan, Jun 22, 2017.

1. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

2. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you, I will defnitely share some recipies with you:)

3. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you.
    I woluld like to share with you that a relative of mine suffering from cancer of kidney, got operated ( to put in simple words a part of the kidney was removed) later he switched on to colmplete millet diet not only did he get rid of the cancer but was fit enough to to travel from India to Rio to watch the Olympics live.
    I will defnitely put up some recipies.:)

Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it's true that the millets have to be soaked before cooking, say for thirty minutes or so but for dosa and idli it's the same as how we soak white rice.:)

5. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

30 min soaking doesn't help much dear:) I have read many books on Millets and since millet is an ancient grain it is mentioned in most of the books that overnight soaking is a must. And people having thyroid should think twice before consuming millets. It is not suggested that they consume any millets

Amica likes this.
  6. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

I have been using millets for almost an year now on daily basis, so practical experience :grinning:says soaking for 30 minutes is sufficient before cooking it in the pressure cooker.

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG] Millet contains goitrogens which suppress thyroid activity. Daily consumption can cause hypothyroidism.

Eat everything in moderation.

Archanaanchan and Sandycandy like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I replaced white rice with millet for over 2 months after getting the prediabetes talk from my doctor. However I am also hypothyroid and take daily medication for that. I have seen several reports that state that millet is an effective goitrogen so I have stopped using it till I can figure out fact from fiction. My doctor suggested measured portions of brown rice instead.
    As for cooking millet, I used to get the Bob's Red Mill hulled millet and just cooked it in the rice cooker/Instant Pot using a 1:2 millet to water ratio. I rinsed the millet a few times but did not soak.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  9. Archanaanchan

The fact you have quoted is true:) Millet is gluten free but has goitrogens. Goitrogens are those compounds that suppress thyroid activity by blocking the activity of tpo enzyme which can lead to thyroid deficiency:) Millet has its own merit but when considered in moderation:)

Amica likes this.
  10. Archanaanchan

Hulled millet is nothing but proso millet. It is good for health. Since you have thyroid it is not suggested that you continue eating millets. Thyroid is said to be cured by practicing therapitic yoga dearie:) Just research on this and see if you can find any good yoga teacher who could educate you more about this. My mom suffers thyroid, I booked an appoinetment for the same with an ayurvedic doctor that definitely practicing some yoga postures will greatly help overcoming thyroid for ever:) And some friend of my mother even suggested that drinking coconut milk empty stomach every morning can control the thyroid levels:) I feel there is nothing wrong in trying these home remedies.. since they dont pose any side effects.

MalStrom likes this.