1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Rice With Millets ?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Archanaanchan, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Has anyone tried replacing rice with millets an found good health benefits? specially on the diabetes side

Sunshine04 likes this.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

We eat idli / dosa everyday. So I make different millets based idli / dosa batters all the time instead of the traditional rice one. It's for a wholesome health benefit, varieties and mostly to get my kid to not be addicted to rice alone. He loves it.

I am not aware about the diabetes part, my parents are diabetic but they would never try millets or alternative food as they are used to a certain kind of food.

But I definitely feel that the using of millets variety everyday is very healthy overall as we feel good energy, easy digestion, keeps full for a longer period, get the benefits of the different millets, etc. So I would personally recommend it.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I have totally replaced white rice with millets.
    Apart from idli, dosa, I also prepare payasa, pulyogare,bisibelebat, khichadi, pulav etc....
    I have seen positive results in the sugar level of my MIL after changing her diet and my husband( non diabetic) has lost weight and looks fit. Another advantage is it keeps you full for a longer period so there is no craving for chips......:yum:

Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. Archanaanchan

Thats really a wow feeling isnt it @anupama1 ? while many eat salads and try to loose weight your husband ate the all the rich food and lost weight:p

Dialbetes and Millets are much dearer enemies. I have heard people say that taking millets for 6 months with a regular walk can definitely put diabetes behind. This breaks the myth that many people think once diabetes is in it is in for ever. I am happy that your MIL is monitoring well with her sugar levels.
    Post us some recipes too dear. Let us also enjoy some millet specials from you:)

5. Archanaanchan

Commendable @ashneys !! While there is a lot said about food adulteration , parents confused of what to feed their children you are on the right track of giving your kids a full mineral and fibre rich whole some food. I hope people dont mess with the millet adulteration too....:(

The other day i was watching some documentaries on netflix about how adulterated food is...??!! I feel so horrible after watching. They say that giving a McD burger is like feeding some carcinogens:( Milk is so much adultered which is supposed to be one of the wholesome foods ever:(

I have read that using a single millet for long is not suggestible:) using combinations helps... like 2 days fox tail.. next two days barnyard .. do you have any knowledge on this?

6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Thanq :hearteyes: I see my own family n dh who struggles to change the way they eat no matter the benefits. I didn't want that to happen to my child too. So I cover all the varieties in a way he will enjoy it thus making him less fussy to try out new things.

I stick to buying organic only. I hope that saves me from some adulterations :(

Even I worry about these. It's impossible to be 100% fool proof, but I feel that we should try to balance it out somehow buy picking known healthier options too and hope it balances out.

I was not aware of this, but if this is true, am happy :banana: because I just randomly pick 2-4 millets as I don't have a deeper knowledge about them, n I keep alternating it, as I want to have varieties. So it kind of comes for 2 days, n another one for another 2 days.:smiley:

7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Good to know there is so much we can do with millets. I personally enjoy the varieties you have mentioned. If it's possible for you to share a few tried n tested recipes, it would be really great. Thanq :)

8. Archanaanchan

It is also true that millets should be soaked before use dear. Like soak in the night and discard the soaked water and use the soaked millets. In ayurveda it is said that millets have vaata and pitta doshas which could be got rid of by soaking them in water overnight. Any kind of millets for that matter:) You would already be soaking it for dosa and millet use anyhow...:)...

9. Archanaanchan

Here are a few millet recipes for you dear. Enjoy!!

Siridhanya Recipes | Millet Bisibelebath | Barnyard Millet

10. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Oh is it? Thanq, Will surely soak when I try other recipes. Yes, since i make idli dosa batter, it does get soaked anyways.