1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Repeating Preschool

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Kanmanidhev, May 3, 2016.

1. Kanmanidhev

Kanmanidhev New IL'ite

Hi all,
    My 3.8 year old son is going to preschool from January. His teacher told to repeat the same class for another year. She told my son is socially behind and she feels he is young(he is born in late august)and his peers are almost an year older than him. He is academically doing great, but socially he's not keeping up. So she wants to keep him with her for another year.

He does puzzles,crayons,painting, writing other activities he is pretty good, when he's in a group like that he refuses to participate, but he likes parallel play. Also he doesn't start talking in English.

Does anyone have experience with how this might affect him down the road if he repeats now? And does anyone have any advice as to how to help my son to make social.

Also,We are planning to move different city, if we change school,does it affect him? Please help I'm confused and worried.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

As long as the child is not made to think this is a big deal, it really is fine, IMO. Fitting in socially is very important for kids that age.

My child is a year older than yours and alteady playground politics has started. Nothing too serious but enough to worry the child. I would have blamed it on differences in skin colour but I know for a fact that there have been Caucasian kids who've had similar trouble too.

It would help greatly if your child is able to form strong bonds with some of his classmates. The social aspect is helping MY child greatly.

Since he is the youngest in class anyway, he certainly would benefit being with slightly younger kids. Don't worry about it. It really wouldn't hamper any academic prospects.

Kanmanidhev likes this.