Renting in g. Kailash or defense colony

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by teacher, Feb 13, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

What is the average rental cost for a two bedroom/2 bathroom or 3/3 in these two areas of n. Delhi? anyone from these places? Are apartments the only options or are there individual houses too? Are the kitchens American style (with gas, etc) or do renters have to make their own arrangements?

I see there's not much traffic in the Delhi forums...hope someone sees this:)

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

teacher: read your post and had to go up to my Delhi map to confirm location.....both of these are NOT in north Delhi...they are east of South Ex. in south Delhi. Both more posh areas with malls before there were malls in India. My surgeon has his office just across from the Deer Park so I have been to south Delhi a lot of times. I used to stay in west Delhi across Ring Road from Rajouri Garden. Four years ago the rent for the place I stayed (2-3 bedroom, two bath one western one Indian, slab kitchen, parlor, two small terraces, on the second story/third floor) which is a very modest area was Rs15,000. My guess is in south Delhi you are looking at Rs20,000 to 30,000 but totally unsure/ maybe more. Perhaps someone else has a better idea than I do. That area of Delhi is full of doctors from AIIMs, expats, IT people.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Oh thank you...i looked at Craigslist and it said something like 800,000 to 1,50,000. Could it have gone up that much?

4. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear teacher,

I used to stay in delhi around 6 years back. Both these areas r upmarket n rents can really vary. 6 years back I was getting a small 2 bedroom on the third floor for 20,000 a month. The rent would depend on the location - yes, in the same locality rents could vary depending on premium locations [park facing, next to hospitals or malls etc.]. Rent would also depend on the size n finish [flooring, tiles, exteriors, gardens etc.] of the house. You have both individual houses as well as flats in these areas. Individual houses will cost more depending on the plot size. You can also find service apartments.

Most kitchens may not be American style - remember v hv domestic help doing cooking in India, especially in these so called "posh" areas. But there r many who have renovated their houses to suit expats - so u might just find something according to yr taste. U hv to make yr own arrangements for gas [unless the owner allows u to use the gas connection allotted to him].

There are quite a few beautifully done up individual houses, with modern amenities, in both these areas. But these would be the larger 3-4 bedrooms with servant rooms. Rents could average around 25,000 - 40,000 for 2 bed and 35,000-50,000 a month for a 3 bed. U might be asked to pay a 3 month or 6 month deposit. U would need to negotiate in most cases. Inspect around 6-8 houses to get an idea of average rent being charged. Go thru' yr lease deed carefully.

Happy home searching ! And yes, delhites r a little shy of being on any forum.

love,
    kylie

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Thank you:) The locations I looked at are because of the office...one of the offices seems to be in an industrial estate on Mathura road. After having lived thru Beltway traffic in DC, we now have the pleasure of walking or taking public transport for two stops to work. I can't see my husband driving in India... I guess all that will have to change...

My requirements are just the usual...well arranged kitchen and well planned bathrooms:) I'm not too particular about malls either...

My knowledge of Delhi is very limited because I stop over for a day on the way to work...but I did notice that there is not a lot of pedestrian traffic. Is that a function of the locality as well or is it a case of personal choice? We love to walk around (I walk all the time in Chennai) and explore places...is that a possibility in Delhi?

It is too early'for all this...but it is nice to build castles in the air:)

6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear teacher,

delhi is not exactly the place to walk on footpaths - unless u are walking right outside yr house or in a park. Most parts of delhi [except for Lutyen's delhi n some posh super rich areas] are unsafe, polluted due to heavy traffic, dusty n extremely noisy. Here, people use the horn liberally. Weather is another reason why many dont walk. Chain snatching, phone snatching, indecent men are reasons why people avoid walking on desolate stretches. Most delhi men [especially the ones on the road] are an indecent lot n wont leave any opportunity in passing comments or making gestures. Wherever the footpath is missing, it is highly unsafe to walk as the traffic is unruly. Unlike overseas, the right of pedestrians is not respected here. However, there are some zones where vehicular traffic is not allowed like some parts of central delhi n some markets. I left delhi long time back. Things could have improved now after it hosted the commonwealth games. The roads have become wider n they have introduced the metro [similar to the tube in london].

Guess u will have to try that out on yr own n find out.

love,
    kylie

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Ok, good to know:)

Not that chennai is any more convenient for walking but I know the place well...and I have had my share of hitting motorcyclists who try chain snatching and/or lewd gestures...

8. Sunil12

Sunil12 New IL'ite

Greater kailash is the best option to stay because of less traffic. If you are searching for the best service apartment then I highly recommend Woodpecker as one of the best apartment provider. I used to stay in Woodpecker since last 5 years. You can contact them at Service Apartment in Greater Kailash Delhi: 1 & 2 for Rent