Remodelling in Trivandrum

Discussion in 'Trivandrum' started by DKI, Jul 31, 2014.

1. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Hello Trivandrum Ladies,

I would like to renovate my parents kitchen and store room in their flat in Trivandrum. Its still in excellent condition, but would like to make the space more useable. Do any of you know of any company that will do a good, clean, hassle free job? Basically looking to change the under counter shelves (currently made of concrete), change the shelf doors, and make additional storage in the store room.

Please send me names and numbers, and if possible what you in your experience think it would cost. The area of the kitchen would be approximately 55sq ft, and the store room is about 21sq ft.

Thanks in advance!

2. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

DKI, we had our house built with Akshay builders,they where opposite to tennis club,kowdiar.You have some bakery there,I exactly dont remember its name.This office was behind bakery.They did an excellent job and we felt ease,cost effective with them.I do not know where there office is put up now.But still you could get there contact details behind the bakery at punchiri stiching.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

DKI,
    Modular kitchens are in vogue all over India. I'm pretty sure there are a lot in tvm. I would enquire with someone who hS recently purchased a home and done some modular work. It's very less messy compared to a carpenter and it gets over soon.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

DrPreetha and Laks thanks for your responses.

My parents are in Jawahar Nagar, walking distance from the bakery you were talking about. I want to do this as a birthday gift to my father :) They refuse any kind of monetary help and i know a better easier to use kitchen will benefit both (amai likes to cook and appa likes to eat)

So far they have been getting all the carpentry work done by Trichur Furniture and they do a good job, but not sure if they will work for kithchens.

2 people like this.
  5. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Trichur furniures may help you dealing with the counter shelves and storage use.If you where comfortable with them contact them too..Lovely and different birthday gift for your father. They would be really surprised :) Its very true that parents refuse to take any monetary help from children

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you can afford it, do look into pull outs and other kitchen accessories. I have absolutely amazing kitchens in India that I designed myself and a modular kitchen designer completed that I have a terrible time finding what I want for the house here :(

You can place the gas cylinder outside and get pipes made to connect to the dtove(gas in patio). So convenient. I also loved the Kaff stove(oven and dishwasher too in my case). All other built in stoves were not as good as the Kaff. I was even wanting one here but I have to import from Germany, you know how my DH would have reacted to that one!
    Their exhaust hoods are good too.

Even in the pantry I did find a lot of pull outs etc for placing large rice containers and pulling them out with ease instead of breaking my back! Lots of spice racks/plate racks/dustbin holders/corner racks/lazy suzans etc out there. For ideas look at Venita Cucine. They are super pricey but you can find the same fixtures in other reasonable brands.

Btw, you are am amazing amazing daughter for doing this! Your Dad and Mom are so lucky!!!

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Laks- would you by any chance have any pictures to show me? And can anybody tell me approximately how much I should budget for this? I don't want anything fancy, and want to keep it simple since parents spend only 50% of their time in this flat. The rest of the time they are gallivanting around Kerala :)

1 person likes this.