1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Nov 15, 2009.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

11 November 1918 marks the end of the hostilities in the Great World War I after more than four long years of continuous warfare. The Allied Powers were at war with the Central Powers during World War I. United Kingdom, France and the Russian Empire were the key members of the Allied Powers. Many other countries like Belgium, Serbia, Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan, Greece, Romania and United States later joined the Allied Powers and were drawn into the war. Central Powers consisted of the German Empire, the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the Kingdom of Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire (Turkish Empire). It is on this day when the Germans called in for a peace settlement by surrendering to the allied terms. Also called as Armistice Day, it is observed as a way of remembering those brave soldiers who died in the war. Armistice generally means a scenario where both the parties at war decide to stop fighting (but not necessarily to end the war).

On the first anniversary of the Remembrance Day, a two minute silence was observed as part of the ceremony on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in
    London. King George V had personally requested all people of the British Empire to suspend activities for two minutes as a mark of respect to the brave soldiers, on the hour of the armistice. The second anniversary of Armistice was significant due to the return of the remains of some unknown soldiers. The remains were received with full military honours and buried at Westminster Abbey in London and Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

The red poppy was accepted as the official flower of remembrance to be worn on Armistice Day. This flower was chosen, as they were among the first plants that sprouted from the battlefield of
    France and Belgium. In soldiers’ folklore the poppies were red due to them being nurtured in the ground that was drenched with the blood of the brave soldiers. In 1945, after the end of World War II, the Australian and British governments changed the name from Armistice Day to Remembrance Day, to honour all who lost their lives in the war.

Ceremony in Melbourne at the Shrine of Remembrance

On Remembrance Day, a ceremony is held at the famous landmark of Melbourne, the Shrine of Remembrance. Located on
    St Kilda Road and just south of the Melbourne City (or the Central Business District) and built between 1928 and 1934, this permanent monument stands as a symbol honouring the lives of all men and women who had served and fought in the great war of 1914-1918. In spite of the financial difficulty and unemployment faced by the people then, the debt people owed to these great men and women was too huge to ignore. So a fundraiser/appeal was organised in 1928. In six months time a huge amount required to build the monument was raised. There was a huge competition among architects and artists in producing the design for the monument. 83 designs were submitted and the winning design was by two Melbourne returned soldier architects. Prince Henry, son of King George V, officially opened the monument/Shrine in 1934. Since then, other memorials added to the site as well.

In the heart of the Shrine, is the Stone of Remembrance. It is a marble stone sunk below the pavement. No hands may touch it. Visitors have to bow their heads to read the inscription: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN

Shrine has a very special feature called the Ray of Light. At
    11am on 11 November, a ray of light actually illuminates the word “LOVE” on the above inscription. The credit for this special feature goes to the collective minds of a skilled mathematician, astronomer and a surveyor. It is believed to continue doing so for 5000 years at least. In 1954, after the end of World War II, a memorial forecourt was added to the Shrine, where you also find the Eternal Flame. It was lit by Queen Elizabeth II in 1954.

This year the ceremony in
    Melbourne had an added significance. It is also the 75th anniversary of the Shrine since its official opening in 1934. School children holding wreaths of poppies arrived at the Shrine to attend the ceremony and to pay respect by observing silence. Performances by the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) Museum aircraft, Victorian Girls Choir, Victorian Boys Choir and the Australian Army Band were also part of the ceremonial function.

Let me end this blog by adding another noteworthy incident that happened on
    11 November 2009. Angela Merkel is the first German Chancellor to attend the Armistice Day function in France. Angela Merkel and the French President Nicolas Sarkozy together participated in the function and laid a wreath on the tomb of unknown soldiers. It was marked as a “historic act” symbolizing the wish to strengthen the relations between the two nations.

Thank you for reading.

[Above information sourced from the following links and a few more. Please google for more details.

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/remembrance/

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/remembrance/ceremony.asp

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/customs
    /poppies.asp
    http://www.shrine.org.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1

http://www.defence.gov.au/Army/2_Minutes_Silence.asp

http://www.dva.gov.au/commems_oawg/...ive_events/organise_events/Pages/silence.aspx

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/11/merkel-sarkozy-armistice-paris]

2. ayyan

ayyan New IL'ite

Dear Shree,
    There is nobody else in IL better than you for describing historical pieces. More than an interest reading it is a piece of information. But when I think about a war, I don’t want to think about those who led the war, but those innocents who died in that. I don’t want to hear great victories that built on there corpses. All remembrance days are meaningful only if it is for those innocent lost lives.
    I hope world leaders should think a while before taking a decision to start a war, at least about those innocent children who live with us now and, we will be the (un) lucky people to sit in furnished rooms and watch their shattered bodies in CNN and BBC. No poppies can replace there lives.
    Love, Ayyan

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Ayyan
    That is brilliantly said! I have nothing to respond back to you. I am sure all of us share the same view with you.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

K2S,

Do I want to go through these days,yes, may be to gather information but to revisit all the horror of these incidents, is beyond my emotional quotient.

the local news channels are carrying a reliving of 26/11 terrorists attacks everyday and touting that they don't want people to forget the sacrifices of the ones who left.

But on the ground reality, the suppressed are being more suppressed in the name of war.

ask any victim, he would say i do not want my fellow brothers to go through this, but we in the name of a day, relive the incident many a times.
    yes, we need to salute the heroes and remember them. why not in a positive way.

There are many people who lost their loved ones, and don't get any recognition for stupid reasons. (I remember one such family about whom it was broadcasted. the reason eludes me..will come back when i recollect)

as ayyan says, it is easy for us to sit in the safety of the living room, gulping popcorn/hot dinners, and talk about the hunger and famine in ethopia and the ravages of war.

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sree, thanks for sharing about the Remembrance Day. I didn’t know such a day was observed to pay respects for the brave soldiers who lost their lives in the terrific wars.

6. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Informative one K2S. Thanks for that. We all used to think of the innocent people killed during such wars and forget as soon as some other interesting news crops up.

Well said Ayyan, Shanvy & Ami.

7. manjulapathy

manjulapathy Senior IL'ite

Dear K2S
    very well explained about remembrance day. Very informative. I fully second Ayyan's comment.
    manjula

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanvy/Ami/Deraj and Manjula
    Firstly thank you for reading through. I can't agree more on the sentiments that all of you have expressed, including what Ayyan has said. War in the name of anything is a gruesome act.

9. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear K25 -As usual I am 6 meters behind others! This is also a nice one - congrats.. I think you should change your name as 'know2share' or 'love2share'!
    monifa13

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Nice to see you here Monifa dear! (wow that rhymes nicely HERE and DEAR ). Thank you for stopping by to read. I am enjoying doing this at the moment and glad to know that there are others like you who do take the time to come and read, which is encouraging. It is a learning excercise for me.