1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Songs Of 1950's

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read this morning @Agatha83 's blog of about Madras. That transported me to early 1950 when the only entertainment was radio. the Madras station of AIR used to broadcast Listener's choice of western music on Saturday nights. I never missed this programme and I want to share with you some of my top favourites.

Tell Laura I love her was indeed a famous song with a tragic twist. It was played almost every week

Deck of cards by Tex Ritter was a clever Biblical explanation of a deck of cards. 2 million views.

By Fats Domino.

One of the earliest Rock and Roll songs by Bill Haley. 12 million views!

Fascination by Nat King Cole is an all time favourite of mine. I love his husky voice.

ChennaiExpress, Laks09 and Srama like this.

2. Cheeniya

It is a pity that TV has completely taken over mass entertainment from Radio. I spent a major part of my life sitting glued to the Radio. That was really fun-time!

3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

It was only in the late 60s that I had the opportunity of listening to listeners choice relayed through Madras B, courtesy my brother who was a fanatic fan of western music. I recall hearing the requests mostly for songs of Jim Reeves, Beatles, Rolling Stones etc. I just remember one song which my brother always used to be humming. So here is the song.

4. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Love is blue is one of my all time favourites. I got addicted to Paul Mauriat in early '60s. He could shift you to a tranquil existence with his numbers. I do not like his oral numbers much but I am a slave of his instrumental music.

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I remember one Aunty (not a real relative, but classmate of my mother from Stella Maris) who is anglo-indian, and lived in Perambur. Her husband worked in the Railways. She used to tell stories about dances they had in their communities. When my mother was not in earshot, she said that the girls liked the dances, because that is one place they can let boys touch them publicly (they were really inside a church or someone's home that had a big hall), or under the watch of their chaperons.
    Her favorite singer was Elvis Presley.
    I think that late Saturday night radio program was meant for those Anglo-indian dance meetings. It was their community's way of introducing marriage prospects to one another.

6. Cheeniya

Both my daughters are Stella Marians and they used to discuss with me about the lifestyle of their Anglo Indian Classmates. I too had a number of Anglo Indian colleagues in the Bank where I worked. You are right. The Saturday night listeners' choice was meant for them.
    In the Tamil movie Aadukulam which earned a National award for Danush, his heroine is an Anglo Indian girl played by Taapsee Pannu . The film depicts the Anglo Indian life style beautifully.
    Enjoyed this song: