1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Names And Incidents.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 11, 2019.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks. I am more than gratified when the narrative brings smiles of the readers.PG Wodehouse fans will testify to this fact.Regards.SLN

Afresh likes this.
  2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SLN Sir,

Your narration about how the memory of wife works brought back some memories that I would like to forget. Forgetfulness is a gift and may be that is why we are born without knowing what we did in our previous lives. Only when we are repeatedly reminded about such incidences, it gets etched in our memories and we avoid developing conversation anywhere closer to it.

When people ask on the phone, "Do you remember me?" or "Can you tell me who I am?", I get challenged. Even if I remember who that was, I feel like telling some other name just to get back to them.

Even President Trump does a lot of name calling just for fun or political reason. It is always crooked Hillary, Pocahontas for Elizabeth Warren, etc.

Viswa

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

My American children's most memorable aspect of interactions with their desi cousins is how much the desi children have to memorize and remember just to get an average grade (marks) in the exams. Cutesy originality, and independent thinking counts for naught in a remote grading system. Remembering the correct way to present the answer wins.

Children are challenged to remember more and more these days, rather than less. Those who overcome addictions to mobile apps and chats, and pack their heads with exam-relevant information stand to gain much. And children know it too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear sln sir,
    Last sentence is the best sentence.
    We may forget some names or little little things. That's ok. It happens to everyone. But when we see the bigger picture of life, it is a boon given by God to forget and forgive. Otherwise world would have been a battleground.
    Syamala

6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

This is a topic closest to my heart currently!

Sitting at a class interaction with mothers of kids with near full marks, lamenting a few marks teacher has deducted when she (teacher) has ticked them correct in a subjective language paper...:fearscream::smash2::worship2:

Even parents who apparently know how to give the correct remarks (read politically correct) know how to brow beat kids to fall in line! Not that I am not guilty of similar stuff :hmmm:

Amulet likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

In India the education system differ from state to state owing to different languages. The students studying in CBSE and ICSE boards are studying in English medium. Hence they don't have to memorise so much as state board students.
    PS

Afresh and Amulet like this.
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    I was travelling and hence the belated reply.People forget names when they are preoccupied with other thoughts or pretend to forget just for poking pun at the other.They also prefix profession or some other peculiarities to generate laughter.One thing is certain that cell phones have destroyed our memories for telephone numbers.Regards,
    SLN

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite