Remembering Maharani Gayatri Devi

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by meerapodwal, Jul 30, 2009.

1. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

She was the face of Indian Royalty and Rajasthan royals. She was once listed among the 10 most beautiful women in the world by the world renowned magazine Vogue. However, Maharani Gayatri Devi, fondly called Rajmata inspite of her <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->blue-blooded privilege, was always the people's Queen.

She established the Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls School emphasising on the education of the girl child. Many traditionalist considered this as an attempt to counter purdah system. Throughout her life she worked for the liberation of the Indian women from the clutches of the male dominated society.

The iconic princess passed away yesterday at the age of 90 marking an end of an era and leaving behind a legacy for us to be proud of.

How would you like to remember Rajmata Gayatri Devi?

Attached Files:

2. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Rajmata Gayatri Devi for me is not only an epitome of beauty but an icon for Indian women who went beyond the traditional purdah in Royal families even in the pre-independence era of India.

Meera, you have rightly put forward in saying that the prime objective
    of Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls School in Jaipur was to educate girls and bring them outside the world of Purdah. She was indeed a Queen, who thought beyond her era.

I have always wanted to read her memoirs 'A Princess Remembers' and know her transformation from the life of a princess of a small kingdom Cooch Bihar to being married into the Jaipur royalty known for its flamboyance. I heard it is very inspiring...

Has anyone read Gayatri Devi's autobiography 'A Princess Remembers'?

May her soul rest in peace.

Sonia

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Maharani Gayathri Devi would be counted in the history as charismatic Royal matha with a back up from politics,the thing that the royal families lost now a days.She was a woman of courage & having a wide vision about the upliftment of woman.
    Just remembering her and paying tribute.
    <TABLE class=cnt style="FONT-SIZE: 13px" width="100%"><TD class=foto_mg style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px">[​IMG]<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 20px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" bgColor=#f3f3f3>
    Soniya I haven't read the book but would like to read.Searching through the library

4. asma747

asma747 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I wanted to read the autobiography of 'A Princess Remembers'. Is it available in India or outside also?

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

A nice way to remember the great soul and paying honor.
    When the privy purses were abolished in 1971, terminating all royal privileges and titles, Gayatri Devi was accused of violating tax laws, and served 5 months in Tihar Jail. She retired from politics and published her autobiography, A Princess Remembers, written with Santha Rama Rau, in 1976. She was also the focus of the film Memoirs of a Hindu Princess, directed by Francois Levie.
    There were rumors that she might re-enter politics as late as 1999, when the Cooch Behar Trinamool Congress nominated her as their candidate for the Lok Sabha elections, but she did not respond to the offer.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference"></sup>Her death came a day after the passing away of actress Leela Naidu, both of whom were named by Vogue as amongst the 10 most beautiful women in the world.

With love
    pad

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

my dad's cousin sis studied in maharani gayatri devi's school and i must say the school taought so much including mannerism, ettiquette and dressing, my aunt has a lot of ettiquette and the way she talks and sits is just amazing and all this was learnt in jaipur in maharani gayatri devi school, she told us she was one the most priviledged ladies to have studies there.
    love
    alpa:cheers

7. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi
    truely said that rajmata was a icon fo all indian ladies -be in politics ,or fashion or education. I saw her about 5 yrs back ,she was the chief guest at my daughter's school jodhpur & was so much beautiful ,royal & graceful in her old age also. she was in guiness book of record for the record victory in 62 for mp.
    Her auto biography " A princess remembers "is worth reading once with all beautiful photographs & the ways of royals living in luxary that time & her boldness in having aalmost love marriage with Swai mansingh & that too as his third wife.

8. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

Thank you so much for this wonderful information. I'm just wowed...the Maharani was so beautiful and elegant; and above all she had so much guts to come out of the purdah and even ensure that women in Rajasthan come out of the purdah too....

As she read she was the princess of Cooch Bihar (that's in West Bengal, right?); so, was she a Bengali by birth?
    I hope someone can throw light on this?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Yes, Ishani, you are somewhat right. Maharani Gayatri Devi mother's belonged to the Baroda royal family, and her father to Cooch Behar in West Bengal, and she was married into Jaipur's ruling family. She could speak Bengali fluently and also studied in Rabindranath Tagore's Shantiniketan.

She used to visit Cooch Behar and people there called her 'Ma'. The elderly remembered her as Rajkumari. The Rajmata even used to patronize a Shiv Mandir in Cooch Behar and even perform family responsibilitiesfrom time to time. She used to do a lot of charities, but never often spoke of them.

We'll all miss her...:cry:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

10. ashwiniyadav01

ashwiniyadav01 New IL'ite

I'm really fascinated reading about the Rajmata in all the posts. I guess there are more interesting facts about the iconic princess. I read in newspapers that she strongly encouraged that girls in Maharani Gayatri Devi school are exposed to extra curricular activities like swimming, horse-riding, tennis, etc.

ALPA, can you please throw some light on this, from your aunt's personal experience. Also, I'd like information - Is MGD school a residential school?

Thank you all for posting the lovely pictures. :thumbsup

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">