1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

remedies for expectoration of cough for my 10 month old baby boy

Discussion in 'Infants' started by dhara82, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dhara82

dhara82 New IL'ite

Hi everyone, my child aged 10 month suffering from cough and cold since 20 days....i tried many medicines as i am homeopathic doctor but i am failed... so can anyone tell me any allopathic or herbal or home made remedies which can expectorate his accumulated cough....

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Please don't waste time asking here. You need to go to a Alopathec Doctor rightaway; because 20 days of cough and cold in a 10 month old baby is not good and could be a sign of a respiratory infection. I understand that you are a doctor too but honestly you need to get your baby to see a regular pediatrician any time a symptom is not relieved by aternative medecine within 5 days of onset; sometimes sooner - much sooner for symtoms that could be life threatening. Ask the pediatrician what symptoms those are.

Please take your baby to the hospital to get it checked out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  3. Sharmili Navab

Sharmili Navab Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dhara,
    it is really very painful when seeing our small ones suffering from cold & cough.
    I have 7months old baby. I usualy melt camphor (sudam) in coconut oil and apply warm oil to babies chest, forehead(little),and back. The camphor is heat so it melts the phlem. Do it twice or thrice a day. Since it is home remedy it will take 2 days to recover.

If u r non-veg, pls give chicken soup this also removes the phlem.

I boil 4 cloves of garlic in 2cups water and make it to 1cup & give this to my elder child 7yrs old even this is good for adults.

Its always best to consult a doctor as DNM advised. My prayers for the little one to recover soon.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

With no offence to Sharmili my take on using camphor in oil is a big NO!!! if i understand well (chemistry was and never is my favoured subject) camphor and menthol have a similar chemical structure. menthol is never to be used on babies and small children. camphor might show relief when you use it but it's quite too strong for a young skin; i would be very careful to use such remedies, especially those that clearly indicate the medicine getting in the body via skin. Please see a doctor and do not resort to any home remedies which might actually make the situation worse!

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Second Latha here.Please go to doctor. I too was told to use camphor.. but thank god i didnt do it. Already my LO has a sensitive skin.

Sharmili no offence meant.. .

6. dhara82

dhara82 New IL'ite

thanks........but i had visited the pediatrician before 10 days he had given medicine like antibiotic but after completion of course again symp.dev, thats why i am worried. he had no fever and he is active too but only the cough remains which some time create disturbance.

7. Sharmili Navab

Sharmili Navab Bronze IL'ite

Dhara,
    when ever u take ur baby out make sure u use proper clothing mainly ears & toes covered well. This is very useful & prevents cold.

@ Aishu & Traveller...

It is each one of us views, and I applied camphor oil slightly in my babies chest and ribs and back...as a mother we would know how much it has to be applied... for example like adding salt to food...u should not apply too much it shud be applied gently...I use 2 camphor in 2table spoon coconut oil.

I was advised by grandmother when I visited India in Dec, my baby was suffering from severe cold. I was happy as this has removed the phlem.

1 person likes this.