1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Relocation from India to US _ urgent

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chidambaripanyam, Dec 30, 2007.

1. chidambaripanyam

chidambaripanyam Senior IL'ite

hello friends,

My friend husband got opportunity in US. His posting is in Downers Grove, Illinois . The Company is offering him US$6000 per month.Can they manage with that offer amount. They have 6 year old child. Can they manage their rent,child education etc.. etc.. minimum needs. my friend is very much worried about this offer. After going there if any problem arises for finance. He has to come on H1B Visa. so she has to apply for H4.

if anyone who knows the Downers Grove , may please give u r opinion on how the city will be .

as my friend is in tension mood i thought through our I ladies i can get information and pass on to her .
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Congrats on the offer to your friend. First of all there a couple of things which shud be considered here
    1 Is it a full time job or a contract job
    2 Will they offer health benefits

If it is full time then will he be offered health benefits from company or they have to pay themselves. becoz health insurance can be expensive.

3. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

We are in a suburb called westmont which is 3-4miles from downers grove, I can provide the information. If you are just talking about the package, then I am sure they should be able to manage.
    It is a western suburb near chicago

Please let me know if u need more information

4. chidambaripanyam

hello chocolate
    Thank you for u r immediate response
    It is full time job
    They are offering health benefits. Company offering him and his dependents benefit plans such as Medical,Dental,LTD,STD,Life and ADD,401k etc.
    She says Medical premium has to be borne by both employee and employer equally.
    After deductions like medical premium,Income tax can they manage ?
    How about rents ? do u have any idea ? children school fee?

do inform me.

regards.

5. chidambaripanyam

hello naveena,
    Thank u very much for u r immediate response.

The Company offering benefits like Medical,Dental,LTD,STD life and ADD, 401k etc.
    After all the cuts in pay can they manage. The main concern of my friend is about the apartmental rental and education for her child.

• 1. What whould be rentals for an apartment say a double bed room apartment
    • 2. What are the kitchen-ware she gets in a apartment and what she has to buy
    • 3. Any Indian live in that place, Do you have any friends in Downers Grove
    • 4. What about indian schools at that place
    • 5. She has 6 year old daughter, presently attending school in india. Can this girl join schooling or not. If she can join at what level and what would be the cost for her education.

regards

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I think they will be able to manage. For renting it will be better if they try to contact somebody from that area. From collegues or friends.Public schools are free if I am correct.

7. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hello Chidambari

The rent range for a 2 bedroom apartment in this area ranges from $ 800-1100 approximately. There are plenty of Indians in and around Downers Grove. I dont know much about schools, but I have heard there are good schools. Usually the basic cooking appliances will be provided by the apartment, like cooking range (stove), conventional oven (microwave oven also in some apartments), refrigerator and the dishwasher. No I dont have any friends in Downers Grove. Your friend can browse Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent for apartments. Hope everything goes well for them.

Veena.

8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi - public schools in the US are all free - the only cost will be some school supplies and registration fees - minimal expenses. As a 6 yr old, their little girl would be able to get into first grade.

As for the apartment itself - as the others have mentioned, most apartments will provide you with oven, dishwasher, maybe a microwave, etc. Your friend will have to bring the other kitchen items. They will be responsible for paying taxes - they will deduct 7.65% right away for social security and medicare taxes. They will also be responsible for federal and state taxes. So, although they may be paid $6000 per month, the take home amount will be less than that. I would estimate that $1000 - $1500 may be deducted for taxes. This is just an estimate. You mention that they provide 401k - this will also reduce the take home pay if they choose to participate in it. The company will match 401k up to a certain percent.

Hopefully this gives you some idea about take home pay.

9. chidambaripanyam

Thank you to all of you for the information provided by you which is very much helpful to my friend. I really appreciate Naveena for her valuable information about rentals and shobana regarding taxes.
    Thank you once again and wishes for a happy and prosperus new year to all of u and ur families.

with regards