1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion Is Unfair To Women.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 15, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

RELIGION IS UNFAIR TO WOMEN

On the one hand Hindu religious books tell us “yatra naryastu pujyante, ramante tatra devata” (The land where women are worshiped is the abode of Gods and Goddesses.) Our Goddess of education is Saraswathi, Goddess of wealth is Lakshmi and Goddess of Power is Durga. Names of Lord Rama and Lord Krishna are prefixed with the names of their consorts, Sita and Radha.

And here is how Sabari describes herself while showing her gratitude to Lord Rama:

“Adham se adham adham ati nari, tinha mah main mati mand adhari”---Ram Cahrit Manas- Aranya kand. (Means: Woman is at the lowest of creation and on top of that I am stupid and rudderless)

And this is how Ravana describes women:

“Avgun aath sada Ur rahain, sahas, anrit, chapalta, maya, bhaya, avivek, asauch, adaya”---Ram Charit Manas -Lanka kand(Ravana to His wife Mandodari)

(Means: A woman has eight vices namely: 1. Indiscrete. 2. Liar 3. Freckle 4. Deceit. 5. Coward. 6. Foolish. 7. Impure. 8. Unkind)

There are so many instances in Tulsi Ramayana where women have been talked about in derogatory terms. A few examples:

“Sati concluded that the omniscient Lord had come to know everything and felt sorry that she had tried to deceive Sambhu. The woman is silly and stupid by nature”--- Ram Charit Manas –Bal Kand- 57

Now Geetha:

Also in Geetha 9.32 here is how woman is equated with Vaishya (prostitute) and Sudras (Outcasts and is considered of a sinful birth.) It goes:

“For taking refuge in me, they also who, O Arjuna, may be of a sinful birth –woman, vaishayas as well as sudras—attain the Supreme Goal”

It is said that but for his wife Tulsi Das would never have gained the wisdom to write such a beautiful poetic description of Rama’s life “Ram Charitra Manas”. He was passionately in love with her and on one dreadful dark night crossed the flooded river at the cost of his life. His wife was devastated and said “If you would develop for Lord Rama even half of the love that you have for my filthy body, you would certainly cross the ocean of Samsara and attain immortality and eternal bliss”. Kalidas, the famous Sanskrit scholar, Dramatist and poet also had the blessings from his wife in form rebuke and humiliation for his lack of education.

For centuries women have been degraded in every walk of life. The situation is not any better still today in some of the communities.

Also the situation is not any better in Islam or Christianity. Women are not permitted to become Maulvies or Pastors as far as I know.

In spite of all this degradation and indifference, women have survived and surpassed men in many fields of excellence.

The question still is why our religious books are biased against women and should not we ask for deleting these verses from these books.

Forget about religious books as they have been scripted by men. The women are treated by women in families is well known, particularly DIL and MIL issues.

A survey has reported that women bosses have been a hurdle in the promotions of women in offices.

2. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

I agree with you. Jealousy in women and ego in men are dominant emotions thats why a woman become hurdle for another woman. Man humiliate her , not allow her in his field becoz of ego. Bt its a woman power that she enters in every field and prove herself better than him. All scriptures are written by male writers. They were hurt by women so they vent out their humiliation for women at so extent that they forgot, their mothers and sisters were also a woman. You describe all quotations of epics very well.:clap2:

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera Sir,

A while ago, On WhatsApp an image of a man pressing his wife's legs was circulated as a joke. I couldn't find anything funny there. I asked the sender, a lady, what was funny in that? Eternally, Goddess Lakshmi is shown at Lord Vishnu's feet and it is accepted but it is seen as rudeness when Krishna is shown pressing Satyabhama's feet in a movie! I consider it crap. As spouses, we can press the aching feet of our spouses and there is nothing funny or criminal there.

Our literature was mainly created by men, for men. Traditional women accepted it too. Recently, I was shocked when I heard a 'wise' octogenarian declare that he was inferior as he produced 2 daughters and no sons, while his sister was superior because she produced 2 sons! This widower is being taken care of by his 2 daughters and still he said what he said. I couldn't stop myself from giving him a piece of my mind.

Religion has silently created this huge rift between genders and the society mirrors the same learnt knowledge. Is it time to ditch our religious scriptures? Even as they speak eloquently about atma and paramatma, they discriminate between the atmas of men and women!

Reg. mil vs dil, Sir, I find the same conflict for power exists even between coexisting fil and sil. Because of the better status accorded to sil, fil tries to hold-back whenever possible. Since there is no status assigned to a dil, mil will not hold-back herself! Recently, I observed a few mils respectfully withholding themselves in front of their highly educated dils. So I guess slowly but surely, times are changing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  4. lakshyasara

lakshyasara New IL'ite

Hi,

Yes. I'm married few months back. My MIL expected me to conceive next month itself. We hav other plans. 6 months gone. So asked me to go temple on amavasya and eat food provided there and take blessing , pray well etc. My question is why they are not involving my husband in it?? I myself cant get pregnant right... Why this people asking women alone to go through this fasting. prayers etc etc. Why dont hus and wife pray together?? It s really unfair.

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

The beauty of Vedanta, Vedas, Epics, Puranas, Manu, etc. are written in a way to be interpreted by the reader. That is why from the time immemorial, learned people have interpreted all of them including Bhagavad Gita.The questions asked against the Avatar were presented as is, for the readers to learn lessons and by itself won't make the Avatars as evil.

Sabari out of humility and with overwhelming emotions of seeing an Avatar and offering food to Him, describer herself with great level of humility. That doesn't mean women are inferior. As a matter of fact, the Avatar by accepting her offering that was tasted already by Sabari, the Avatar personally demonstrated how much respect one should show for such unconditional love from a woman.

In my view, both Rama and Ravana had the same level of knowledge but the application of that knowledge varied. While Rama thought always of the well-being of the good souls, Ravana pursued everything for his own well-being. Therefore, Ravana describing a woman in a derogatory manner doesn't make it truth.

If any of us were to read the epics carefully, even noble and well-accomplished souls lost their lives because they couldn't protect the well-being of women. The Avatars themselves spearheaded the fight against the evil beings who either disrobed a women in the King's court or kidnapped a married woman much against her wish. Everyone who was fighting to support those evil-beings were destroyed how much ever accomplished they were.

Lastly, even the scriptures describe that half of every sacrifice carried-out by men, 50% of the fruits of such good action would go to the spouse if they facilitate such sacrifice. There is a tacit teaching their that women are noble souls capable of making the man perform good actions.

How the Vedic period accepted the wisdom of Ghosha, Lopamudra, Maitreyi, and Gargi, if women were considered inferior human-beings? Needless to say Meera's and Andal's wisdom mesmerized the Lord.

Viswa

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hariji, you are right. Religion is ultimately a male invention. You only have to examin e the myths a d scriptures of all faiths. Manusmriti makes woman dependent on men before marriage on father, after marriage on husband and in case of widowhood on children. Semitic religions make her the cause of man's fall. It is none of the major instruments of male domination.,the (im)moral authority behind patriarchy.

ZenSojourner likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hariji,
    All the rules are made by men.
    I am glad women are coming out of the shell and proving themselves in every field.
    Syamala

8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

'Fickle' you mean - freckles are kinda cute, no? o_O:lol:

goldenhoney87 and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@sokanasanah

Aren't you trying to kill an entire industry by this comment?

By the way, it is funny the way you brought this up. I wish we can apply a cream to get over the fickle mind. :BangHead:

10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Just kidding, Viswa & HL! Never could resist complaining about auto-correct - some disaster is always lurking around the corner, every time I put fat finger to keyboard!:eek::oops::icon_pc: