1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relieved!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Parvathi helped Natarajan to get down and supported him till two boys from their next houses took care of him. Natarajan was back from the hospital after two and a half months. He looked a lot more paler and thin and could not even walk the distance between the car that dropped them and the hall of his house. 68 is not the age that could bring you such a tiredness, but a heart byepass might just be worse.

There was a big list which had less "Do's" and mostly "Don'ts", given by the hospital. As they entered the hall, Yamuna came quickly, hugged him and made him comfortable. She did not come to the entrance to receive him because, she considered it as not a good thing to do. Her brother Natarajan would ridicule her if she said that to him. Being in that house for more than 50 years, not even once did she interfere in family matters.

She spent her time in doing household chores and in prayers. She visited the hospital only twice. The first time was when they left home in panic when Natarajan was unconscious and the second during Natarajan's birthday when the operation had been performed. "Thank God, you came back good!", she said and quickly prayed. Parvathi meanwhile arranged his bed. She had not been happy all these years about having Yamuna in the same roof, but had no option.

Once Yamuna went in, Parvathi hugged her tight and cried hard. "But for you sister, I would've been broken", she said. "Come on! He is alright! Don't worry dear!", Yamuna said, wiping her tears.

2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

What did Yamuna do for Parvathi to hug and cry? I am eager to know.

This created eagerness is the index of your skill in telling the story.

Enjoyed reading it.

3. rgsrinivasan

Thats the crux of the story, Suryakala. And I left the clue in the story itself. Thanks very much for your first feedback and appreciation. -rgs

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yamuna was a widowed sister whom Natragan deeply cared about. His wife parvathi was natually jealous of yamuna as she was always around. Yamuna being a god-fearing, devoted person who was also smart lady made herself useful at home and never interfered, but yet couldn't erase the feelings of parvathi towards her.

When natragan had been ill, partavi would have been shattered, it was yamuna who had ensured the smooth functioning of the house, abiding by what everybody would consider auspicious/inauspicious, and most importantly her prayers.

Rgs, you are a true genious, you have said it all without saying it.... the story beautifully conveys what I have summed up so crudely.

Enjoyed reading it!

Akila

5. rgsrinivasan

Very many thanks for bringing out the substance exactly the way I wanted to, Akila. I wanted the reader to connect to it and bring out this much. Very grateful and happy to read this feedback now. -rgs