1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships: Sweet N Sour

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

yes, that tradition has to end. Why don't saas and bahu lead their lives with dignity? Why do they fight for domination? Education and maturity definitely bring the change in the way of thinking. I am seeing that difference between my mom and my mil. Live and let live.

nakshatra1, Afresh and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

:thumbup::thumbup::number_one:

Mistt likes this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap Geeta i imagined one more scene .Conversation btw a grandma and a granddaughter replacing Mil and Dil fight.Here too the boy blinking whom to support either the Person who has given birth to him or the person whom he has given birth.i imagined the scene and laughed aloud.I am longing for a granddaughter and praying to God and yet waiting for HIS gift

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Hahahaha...Poor Veer!!Hope you can handle it better..:facepalm:

Such a wonderful snippet.

I understand no management degree helps in resolving this but I am glad he never took the side of wife/mother at that instance..He was trying to balance both..

Now whom is he gonna meet first?Mom or Wife ..Poor Soul.:smash2::smash2::BangHead:

son’s name- V e e r a n a r a s i m h a! Haa......hah! Loved the way it is expressed..

If your dad had one more daughter, would he name her Khatti (sour) ..hehehehe...I think it hurt moms feeling to hear a son getting teased and targeted back with DIL with a punch...hehehe..:mask:

I am still laughing at the punches reading it repeatedly. Waiting for the next part!:grimacing::grimacing:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

Yes, Periamma, that is another interesting area to tackle. Why don't you write on that topic?

May your wish for a granddaughter be fulfilled, my prayers are with you.

periamma likes this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

:grinning::hearteyes:Thanks, dear Ammu. Such detailed feedback helps me to write better.

Ammu2886 likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap Thanks for your wishes

8. GeetaKashyap

Part 2

I took a deep breath and followed Meethi. When I knocked at the bedroom door, there was no response. After I pleaded repeatedly for several minutes, she opened the door. It hurt me to see her crying. Avoiding my loving gestures, she gave me a sharp look as if I was a criminal; she turned her head away from me dramatically and fell face-down on the bed and continued to sob. I took a deep breath and a sip of water, then cleared my throat and lovingly asked, “Darling, please don’t cry; tell me why you were both fighting?”

As if she was waiting for this question, she said, “Ask your Amma, she started it.”

From her abruptness, I understood that she wouldn’t give in easily. After failing to persuade her, I said, “Okay, relax; let me talk to Amma first.”

I entered Amma’s room like a child with a bad report card; she stood by the window gazing outside thoughtfully. I felt guilty about seeing her disturbed state.

I said softly, “Amma, please sit down. Would you like to have some water?”

Amma preferred to ignore me. But placing my palms gently on her shoulders, I insisted, “Amma, please sit down and tell me what happened?”

“Ask your wife, she started it,” Amma said in an emotionally choked voice.

As she reluctantly sat on the edge of her bed, I sat at her feet and cajoled her. After a while, Amma melted a bit; wiping her tears away she smiled meaningfully and said, “We will have a small child shortly in our home.” The twinkle in her eyes was unmissable.

I scratched my head and asked, “Who is visiting us with a kid, Amma?”

Suddenly Amma laughed aloud, pinched my cheeks hard and said lovingly, “You are going to be a father soon and me a grandmother!”

Now, this was breaking news to me! Ignoring my hurting cheeks and agitated mind, I asked again, “Amma, why were you both arguing senselessly?”

“Ask your wife, she started it,” Amma said, turning her head away.

Now I was in no mood for any more riddles. Impatiently I repeated my question in a raised voice, “Amma, please answer my question, why were you both fighting senselessly?”

Amma said, “I was telling your wife as to how she should take care of herself during this period.”

“That’s no reason to fight, tell me what exactly happened?” My pitch increased further as my patience was wearing off.

Amma said bluntly, “She started it,” and moved to the window to stare at the sky once again.

“What?” I almost screamed as I was now going mad.

Amma was aggressive again, “These modern girls are impossible. They neither understand what we say nor do they have any intelligence of their own. Just because they have piled up qualifications, they think they have to oppose everything a mother-in-law says. By delivering sons, we made mistakes. It is all our bad Karma. These girls don’t even realise or appreciate our sacrifices or hardships. They see the finished product and entice them into marriage. Do they realise even once that our sons are the finished products of our struggle? These girls blink their eyes and seduce our sons and then act as if mothers-in-law are at their mercy! This is not acceptable to me. Either ask your wife to apologise to me or send me away to Mysore.”

Amma’s ultimatum was difficult to digest and her tears were torturous. I was also aware that Meethi would be overhearing our conversation and would split the hair on every word I uttered. She would later make me repent my choice of words for the next few weeks with silent treatment and lack of intimacy! I had to choose every word to be uttered by me with the utmost care so that both the women who claimed ownership over me would calm down for the time being!

Finally, I cleared my voice and said very lovingly, “Amma, nobody can deny your efforts in shaping my life. You also know how important you are in my life; in spite of all your threats, don’t we both know that you won’t be happy staying away from me? Now that your grandchild has announced his or her arrival, would you be able to go away from us? Amma, please forgive Meethi for now. I will talk to her.”

Amma seemed a bit collected now. She started talking in a hushed voice, “When I spoke about the special diet she has to follow now, she didn’t like it. Then I mentioned to her that your sister Vara had the right to name your kid as per our family traditions and that was enough for her to start arguing disrespectfully. You were there to witness it, right?” She continued in the same breath, "Veeru, It is entirely your mistake. Had you married a girl from our community, she would have understood our traditions. She wouldn’t be rude to me like this. Your wife doesn’t know to respect elders; her parents seem to have taught her nothing.” She wiped her tears.

“Amma let us not bring in her parents into this mess and let’s not judge them. Just as you have struggled to bring up Vara and me, even her parents have brought her up with a lot of love. Saying anything against her parents is like insulting all the parents. It is unfair.” I interjected.

Ignoring my protest, she continued, “Your dad left me alone in this world to suffer. I am an unwanted person here... Book my tickets right now; I will go back to Mysore. You stay happy with your wife and dance to her tunes.”

Even in that state of emotional upset, she was blackmailing me; politics must have begun like this, at home! Without letting Amma spew anymore venom, I said, “Amma, please calm down. Let me go and talk to Meethi.”

It was difficult to see Amma so upset, that didn’t mean she could say whatever she fancied. I was disappointed with the conduct of both the women in my life.

I went into our bedroom, Meethi was more composed now. She had overheard Amma’s talk. She was now ready with her set of dialogues. She shut the bedroom door behind me and said in whispers, “Amma is not ready to accept me as her daughter-in-law even after six months of our marriage; you heard all the crap she was saying, right? Now you know that I wasn’t telling you any lies about her in the past. See how she shows her Nirupa Roy version to you and the Lalita Pawar version to me! Can she ever appreciate my sacrifice and concern? Why is she dragging my parents into this mess?”

“Meethi, I also saw how rude you were to her. In your anger, you even forgot that we stay in a posh apartment and you both were fighting as if you were in a fish market! You didn’t even lock the main door. All our neighbours were out in the corridor overhearing your stupid and senseless arguments! You should have been a bit more sensible,” I attacked Meethi. My irritation, fatigue and embarrassment came out like molten lava.

Meethi hadn’t expected my outburst. She defensively raised her voice, “See...see how prejudiced you are! I overheard how lovingly you spoke to her, but with me, you are rude as always! You men are all the same; even after the marriage you can never leave your Amma’s pallu,” she began to sob again.

**********************************************************************************

End of Part 2

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Anusha2917, Afresh, Greenbay and 9 others like this.
  9. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Ayyo before the kid is born they had a discussion in name. I was thinking naming ceremony is going to happen and they were finalising the names and this happened.
    :dizzy:
    I loved his composed manner in which he spoke to his mom. True that Sons are brought up with lots of scarifies and finally a girl owns him...If that is the case ,the same is with daughters as well.He made a point in saying that son/daughter there is a supreme sacrifice and they are "Parents".

10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

This is going to be tough! I will wait to see next...

GeetaKashyap likes this.