1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

in some culture , even showing face is objectification of woman, so they prefer if women cover their face....in some tribes women remains topless....
    men being topless doesnt attract so much attention...
    IMO revealing of body is not linked to objectification, it all depends what we are habitual of seeing.....
    sexual objectification is, woman are seen as only object of sexual pleasure and not considered worthy of anything else....if a man takes woman as object of sexual pleasure only then he will think same about every woman, whether in revealing dress or burqa clad...
    if woman are admired only for their breasts, while ignoring all other qualities than its sexual objectification.....in this way admiring beauty of woman is also objectification....

sindmani, kkrish, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

KF, coolgal, good points. And some interesting Likes under them. :)

I remain unconvinced. I am not able to word more accurately the mixed feelings I have about such dress choices. Would never agree to any form of rules against these, but, I cannot understand the logic in the dress choice. Yes, some men can find an inch of ankle skin as revealing. But I am not talking about such extremes. I am talking about events in a country like the U.S. What goes on in the minds of women who choose the dress and decide on how to reveal. And then go about the evening in a state of delicate balance so as to not dislodge the scrap of fabric even an inch. These women surely wear such a dress since it is (currently) considered 'revealing'? They are not doing this to bring about change by which all parts of a woman's body start to get treated equally!

That Deepika dress BTW, I looked it up more closely. Again, call me prude or anything.. it is not a dance dress! : ) There are many dresses that actresses wear in item numbers (like Mallika Sherawat) and those are suitable for dancing. I mean, yes, Deepika can choose to wear that and dance on stage, but, I will shake my head at the lack of consideration to gravity and the laws of physics when she decided to wear that dress for a stage event where she had to do a few or more dance steps. I was tempted to take that lungi and drape it elsewhere on her.

==============
    A simpler question - what goes on in the mind of women who wear dress that reveals her body like Priyanka at the Golden Globes? Other than "I can, I have the right", what is the chain of thoughts? We dress for company (too). What do these women hope the company will feel, think, say on seeing their revealing dress and the body it reveals?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    kkrish and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Rihana

So I got more curious about this lungi dance and did a search. Was LOL at the irate comment by one reader who totally missed the point of the controversy and said: dei loozungala aathu vesthi da, lungi illa.. lungi-kkum veshti-kkum vithyasam theriya muttapasangala *

(* stupid fellows don't know the difference between lungi and veshti).

:)

4. Rihana

How fast and why dheere dheere ?

5. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

'I am not suggesting that right should be taken away. Question is about the logic or sense the woman is using in wearing such dresses, question is not about her right to do so.'

Rihana, I think its more of using your body to make a statement, saying only 'I' have control of how you should visualise me.. I have doubts on Deepika and her 'feminism', in fact all celebrity brand 'feminism' is fake..
    For the inquisitive, google mirror artist milo and figure out the statement she is making..
    What to make of paying too much to wax, thread, paint your face, wear skimpy fresh off the ramp designer wear and cover yourself completely and go to a girls only party? Who are they impressing?
    I think, of late, we are all a confused bunch..
    I read somewhere, we girls take 'bra burning' in a different context because we really dont understand the circumstances and courage it took for those ladies to break those chains. Talk about misinterpreting..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't think they wear such revealing cloths to any dinner parties or Human rights/women's rights high end meetings.
    I see many of them wear T-shirts with the logo of the so called organization or in professional cloths, when they are called as ambassadors to such events.
    But the same people dress as half naked in such shows where celebrities gather for any awarding ceremony or something like that.
    In the latter instances, their body, the glamour, the dress they picked for the event are important than their wisdom or their view point about social issues.
    This is like duel personality...

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Confession: I gained like 20 lbs in six months. Injured and going through early perimenopause, something I wasn't ready for at all, plus all the stresses of having a special needs child just got to me(us actually DH is also having some health issues). Finally, I've just settled him some and have accepted that I can't worry about something that I have no control over and started the fitness journey again. I'm slowly starting to eat right again and it's hard. Hard because I'm running from home to school twenty miles away, don't find time to eat and then buy food. School to home, feed him Lunch and then drop off at therapy 1. I don't find time again to cook for myself or eat and then again grab whatever I can. Then therapy 1 to 2 and 3 while I wait around because it's not too close by and no point driving. And then there are days I go for therapy 4, 25 miles away. All together, I put in 500+ miles a week of driving. My shoulder is hurting again and the brand new car I got less than a month ago has 1.5k miles on it already.

Then I share some trip pics recently and my mil sends me this today with you should do this, it's important

I just forwarded it to DH and said your mom sent it to me by accident. It was meant for you.

I still can't stop laughing about the moringa videos. FYI the pics weren't that bad and I was wearing a thick north face jacket.

Akanksha1982, Amica, Vennella and 5 others like this.
  8. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Laks
    I just felt like hugging you after reading your post. I pray and hope all will be well with you. God bless your little one!

Laks09 and ashima10 like this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Laks, you have started, so what if it is slow, just try and be on track , whenever you can. With that hectic routine, it is a wonder that you even bother.
    I have read your posts and know you know a lot more about fitness than an average Jayanti. That email from your MIL is just the wtf moment to add fuel to your journey :tongueout:

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 ....hang in there girl...500 miles in one week...this alone would have made me throw in the towel.
    20lbs is nothing..let me know if u want a partner this new year.

JustAnotherMom and Laks09 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.