1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana How about go for a nice, expensive gift in kind for future weddings? The nice thing about gifting US branded stuff instead of hard cash is most of those items are available at a huge markup in India. So, if you gift an item priced at $800 here, it will automatically be valued at a $1200- $1500 value by your niece or nephew in India based on local Indian prices. Tada!! you probably substantially cut down your your budget if not halved & the value of the gift remains the same in eyes of nieces & nephews & so does the respect for Rihana aunty ;) You could cut it down even more if you shop right & time it right.

So foreign currency translation effect+ middleman’s markup + import costs+ Rihana’s shopping efficiency = huge savings but happiness of nieces & nephews stays constant.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    sindmani, Rihana and Archanaanchan like this.
  2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

This idea is good... gift jewellery and slowly reduce the amount with each subsequent wedding. That you you don't break anyone's heart... and jewellery is always loved as a valuable present, irrespective of the price...
    All the best

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a coincidence.. all these happen in my family too. Siblings generally do rein me in, but, it looks odd to give the same amount as what folks who live in India are giving. The set amount per family is there and followed by local family.

That is a very good idea. More for girl ... would work well. And people would understand.

Laks09 likes this.
  4. Rihana

It's a little "it's complicated" : ) Entire cash from the gift doesn't go to the bride and groom. There is some STEM (math and science : ) ) and some STEAM (STEM + Art) on how the money is given by the parents of the groom/bride to the couple. Meaning, I mostly would give it to the parents of the bride/groom, not to the couple themselves. Weddings in both my side and better-half's side are very traditional, and most of the "gifts" received are used for wedding expenses.

Plus, takes lot of time to think of suitable item. And, it needs to be useable by both or have to give individual items.

On a more somber note, most likely won't be attending any wedding in person ... will be sending gift remotely only ... there's not much reason or motivation to make the long trek to des any more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Haath ke paanch ungli barabar nahin hothe. I plan to show outright partiality. Kids who have stayed in touch more, get more. Is that evil?

Weddings in the family usually require cash gifts. And the amount is always compared. In my family, they will even call and ask "Usko zyada aur humko kum kyon? Did we offend you in some way?" :facepalm:

6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Ok No messing with Amica ! Airfryer ki kasam, I promise to stay in touch ! ;)

Amica, ashima10 and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Rihana

http://ste.india.com/sites/default/files/2017/12/22/649170-virat-kohli-wedding-recepti.jpg
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/im...cket_d5f64444-e667-11e7-bb33-29502a427e3f.jpg
    Even for a wedding reception, isn't that thing around the neck too much? I understand it is a heritage uncut diamond choker from the Sabyasachi Bridal Jewelry collection, but still I feel like it is a bunch of ghungroos around the neck instead of ankle.

http://www.thedailystar.net/sites/d.../public/feature/images/virat_modi_anushka.jpg
    Next question is that why Pradhan Mantri ji has to stand between the couple? Usually, the couple stand next to each other, and others stand on their left and right and say cheese. No?

Last question was how long is the Banarsi saree's blouse sleeve length... had to google quite a bit, and then came across this one. Scroll down, Anushka is sitting holding a sleeping child, and that picture shows sleeve length. Looks good, nice embroidery. PHOTOS: PM Modi, team mates grace Virushka's wedding reception

She looked very beautiful in the wedding pictures, he too looks dashing. She has a 1000 mega watt smile. Indeed, Rab ne Bana di Jodi.

Shreema86, sindmani and Sunshine04 like this.
  8. Rihana

One of my favorites from threads I started:
    The Wife's Complete Surrender

Sindmani, thank you for the Likes you click. Sometimes on old posts I had forgotten about, and nice to re-read.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Archanaanchan and sindmani like this.
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

He is the PRADHAN MANTRI. that's why

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana
    This marriage has turned into a live advertisement for Sabyasachi.
    While the wedding was a dream......the whole sabyasachi bride and groom thingy makes it weird. It is now like the the show 'band baaja baarat'.Full on advertisement for his jewelery collection.

Frankly speaking I find that a bit non classy for a personal wedding of such high profile people.

The reception neck piece was definetely over the top. The saree and blouse are nice. The wedding jewellery was better .

Sunshine04 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.