1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have told the same to my own kids, and they are trained how to behave at someone's place with good manners. But kids are kids, specially when they are too young like 2 or 3, they tend to forget all these good manners for joy.

On that birthday party, my older child was the birthday boy. He and his friends were behaving decently, until my younger child's friends came in.
    Those 5 little kids played with the cake, and my own one happily joined them by forgetting everything that momma taught her before.
    This is not right. But what I tried to say in that other post was, such things happen unexpectedly when kids are involved. We can't assume everything would be perfect just like adult birthday functions. Kids are kids, and we should be able to take it easily.

sindmani, Amica, Naari and 1 other person like this.
  2. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

True t
    True that kids will be kids! 2-3 years of age should be taken easily and at the same time other people also take the mischiefs done by them with a laugh.. but when kids touch the age of 4+ , they are expected to behave atleast in others bday parties.. This is what i have observed in the recent bday parties..
    So i have already started my bit with my kid (who doesnt fall under the 4+ category yet!) to teach all the bday norms!! My kid is very much trained by his super mom ( :) ) now that he repeats the things taught by me before any bday party to me.. and I proudly pat his back for such good manners..
    Still the line - kids will be kids holds good! ;)

sindmani and Nonya like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Training takes a while. Waiting, for mummy or daddy's word before rushing into things can serve them well life long.

Here are four, so well-trained:

Mistt and MaruthiRao like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

But then don't they become @PoojaShah 's Momma's Boys? :grinning: Over-training the boys only means more DIL posts on ILs in the future, isn't it? where do you draw the line?

SGBV likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Exactly.. this is my worry.
    It took my husband a good 3 decade to unlearn whatever his mommy dear has taught him. He used to wait for his mommy's word before doing anything, even after his adulthood.
    This is why I believe in moderation. Don't over train your kid.
    Also, don't threaten or scare your kid to stay discipline.

They are not animals. They are expected to use their own brain and act as they grow old.
    Animals can wait for their masters all their life, and it will be cherished by all. But that doesn't apply for human beings

I train my kids, but then I don't overdo anything because of social pressure.
    I let them learn something on their own, and unlearn something as they grow. Kids need help from parents, teachers and elders to understand good manners. It is a slow learning process. It has to be taught depends on each and every kid's learning curve. Not all the kids understand and grab whatever we teach at the same pace.
    And as @BDivya quoted, kids will be kids.
    We adults need to learn this, and as well learn to let go of these kiddish behaviors. Particularly when special needs kids are involved.
    We are not therapist, and we really don't know what is the problem they are battling with.
    From normal kid to ADSD or autistic kid, there are different shades.
    Acceptance is the only way.

sindmani, Naari and BDivya like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

My advice about training children is gender neutral.
    In anycase, behavior training has to come early; over-steering a car on snow, or an adolescent in forin, would be fraught with danger.

7. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

I am very sure what I meant by 'training ur kids' here and the other ILities have got it right like @SGBV , etc.. And iam sure that my way of training is entirely different than ur way(which is depicted in the video) of training...
    and we, almost 99.99% of mothers give a good 'training' on every matter on earth to our kids to protect them, safeguard them, train them to stay away from other not-so-mannered-kids.. and like every other situation there may be a few exceptional mums which results in the above depicted (video )way of training their kids and later on in the life struggle with their way of upbringing thus by 'training' their kids (!!) , leading to more DIL issues and large number of pages here in IL! :)

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

So... overall it is a positive thing for the IL website revenues ;-)?

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Where to draw the line? The question is like the quandary a person finds himself in when assembling a Made in China furniture, manual has visual instructions only. And those also not clear if drawn left to right or right to left.

Children and parents learn as they grow or grow older, where to draw the line. If a parent is taking a well-deserved Sunday afternoon nap after an also well-deserved lunch of biryani, raita and oil-fryed papad, and tells the 8 yr old to not disturb unless the sky is falling, the child kind of gets how to tell by looking at the sky whether it requires interruption of parent's nap. It would require an earlier education which tells the child that a parent asleep while child is awake is fine.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True. Unexpected things cannot be predicted and should be taken in stride. And usually by the end of a party, kids start to get more rambunctious, all that sugar or missed naps and so on. And anyway they enjoy that part more just like having more fun with the gift's wrapping than the gift itself.

Why would adults have birthday functions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.