1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship Hijack And Banter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL. I said that in jest -- head in mom's lap and feet in wife's.

Seriously, I really don't know the answer. I never saw such display of affection or love between parent and grown child in my family, my extended family, and not in the extended family on my in-laws side. After each child grew up, physical contact with the parent naturally got reduced over time. Nothing to do with marriage. Once a child grew old enough to start working, the lying in lap kind of thing just stopped happening. Taking care of the child or parent by pressing an aching forehead or arms/legs when either is sick is different.

It might vary from family to family. The bigger question IMO would be that if a man doesn't like his wife lying in her father's lap, or a woman doesn't like her husband lying in his mother's lap, should that dislike be respected or does the parent-child lying rule above that.

A while back we had a discussion here about a grown brother and sister.. The married brother helping the married sister with her saree pallu or pleats arrangement. The brother's wife did not like it. If I remember right, it was in a previous version of this banter thread, and thread had to be closed after some raksha-bandhan arguments were refuted with eeww/yuck arguments. : )

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. Rihana

Yes. After reading posts in IL, communicating offline with some members, and some candid conversations with friends in real life, I realized I am not alone. It was actually of comfort to know that.

And yes, the parampara is expected from our kids too. One beneficiary (Ben) agrees with me that I have gotten the short end of the stick multiple times and that it is horribly wrong. Ben and I were in an autorickshaw and had a philosophical conversation. Ben said you have so much, why let the injustice rankle. I said, "A friend pointed out to me that by giving up what I give up, I am giving it up for my children too. That hurts for some reason." I half-seriously asked Ben, "Why don't you write a will that will give some of the stuff to my kids." Ben is childless (or rather child-free). Ben said an outright no. Even after his/her death, Ben wanted to make sure the NRI-always-gives parampara should continue. : )

SinghManisha, Mistt, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1)Lying on the lap....weird.
    Also depends on circumstances.
    Lying with head on mom's lap while watching TV, or watching kids play, or while everyone around is gathered as a family having fun time is fine.

lying with head in lap being the main event ....weird.

Mom feeding grown up son with hand....unless he is very sick or immobile....very weird.

Weird.

Arranging pleats....very endearing.
    Arranging pallu...... creepy.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    SinghManisha and Sunshine04 like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Hey @tulipzz
    Seeing your post after a long time .
    Post more often girl .:beer-toast1:

5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

All these years I have grown up seeing this picture :blush:
    2E5F5CF7-BF89-4480-AAEF-F691544C0B6A.jpeg

SinghManisha likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Then how did Paratha meet Sambar :p:lol:

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Was this a troll? I missed this thread

SinghManisha and Anusha2917 like this.
  8. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Lying on mums laps.... hmm little cringy... getting a foot massage... hmm, if its mutual, because women also are born with feet and they might hurt too...

God but dont mix both... head on mum and foot on wife... what are you? Confused?.. if you are a man or a boy?

SinghManisha, Anusha2917 and shravs3 like this.
  9. Rihana

+
    Was from before you were born...... : )

Managed to find the thread. But even if threatened that my login will be disabled for ever, I will not disclose the search string I used to find thread. :facepalm: + :facepalm: I shall now proceed to wash with generous amount of Dove soap (and maybe some bleach) the fingertips that typed the search string. : )

Issue in marriage

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you and sorry for inconvenience :grinning:

SinghManisha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.