1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relation With Dh And In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Feb 14, 2018.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, you seem to writing in an agitated state. Throw these people out of your mind. If they are not living with you keep them don't worry about what they feel about you. Take rest. You need to sleep. I am also very agitated when sleep deprived. Hire some help for sometime. Take care.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Keep your mind busy with something else. I listen to audio books to stop worrying over things I can't control. As far as your husband is concerned...he may learn it the hard way or not at all. Men usually don't. So as long as his actions don't harm your family financially start ignoring his family. I don't discuss his family or mine for a long time with husband. Always results in some dreadful argument.

yesican likes this.
  3. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Dear op
    I think your worrying about 3 issues
    1.inlaws are trying to split both dil by complaining about you to her
    2.black magic etc(may affect kids or your family happiness)
    3.your co sister s not having already a formal relationship even if you try to work the relationship
    My suggestion
    1.u are in US,so don't bother about in-laws who back bite u.just try to maintain touch with them.like call on weekends etc.dony go I to too personal talking etc by this way we can avoid unnecessary family problems.still if they speak don't get affected.just ignore
    2.nobody can keep black magic and spoil ur kids or your happiness.if you believe in God just pray for you family well-being.dont think or assume that they might have done that
    God will take care.say some slogans or first can help you.
    3.try to maintain a hi bye relationship.if she s not willing we can't do anything about it.she will understand your in-laws when she gets affected.so just be formal calls.font say anything bad about in-laws to her,that will create bad impression and let her learn about them.
    Be happy,ignore about what people say in India. you have wonderful family and looks like your husband support s u.do don't take these headache.as time goes ur co sister will understand
    Me and my co sister and my SIL s also like friends.but we boundaries on family matter
    We speak other matters a lot (shopping,hair cuts,taking care of kids etc).
    Since you're well settled people may get jealous you have to handle them
    When ever you go to India get some affordable gifts . that s what we can do.
    Forgot,forvive and move on

4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Dear ladies, I am reading this I think after a few weeks, all of your suggestions have calmed me a lot....yes I think I might be having some post-partum stuff with overwhelming work..when I reread my post, I feel I was in a very different state of mind....thanks for reassuring me for black magic stuff, on days when I dont think like this, I feel empowered..my frustration is feeding this negativity....my in laws have really helped BIL, cosister kids and have expressed immense joy in kids caregivers...of course, I do understand the old age and its restrictions...just looking at kids or distracting a toddler is a big help while I or DH cook/clean..they enjoyed it for DH's brother and sister's kids...and then why my kids are outsiders now..anyway, BIL is definitely a favored son because DH is naive, had health issues so they dont care for him but yeah when it comes to money house, DH gets his due affections and sweet talks- he will be blind to this, and I have to live with this...
    thanks again to all dear ladies!

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Its great that you have accepted your weakness, and feeling stable now.

Even then, your latest posts comes with loads of negativity; hence I feel it is better you resort to some counselling or therapy to feel normal. Else, it spoils your health and that of your hubby/kids.

In laws have done their duty as parents by taking care of your H and his siblings; hence they are here today as educated, settled human beings.
    Now that they have the choice to help or not to help with their children depending on their comfort level.
    If they are comfortable at your SIL's and Co-sis's place, then they would go out of the way to help with their kids and other chores. If they are not that happy and comfortable at your place, then they would return not much of helps.
    But, regardless of their present helps and visit, it is your H's duty to respect and help them in their old age, as they are his parents - who have raised him.

If your co-sis doesn't reciprocate to your calls and greetings, then you must understand your place in her heart and move on. Don't try too hard to get some place in her heart. It is irrelevant.
    Same goes with your SIL and PILs too. Just to keep the relationship alive, limit your interactions to hi-bye level.
    But don't dictate your H's interactions with them. Let him chose how he wants to maintain his relationship with his people.

If you are worried about the fact that your H extends too much money to his people, then sit down with him, and revise your financial plan.
    Make him understand your immediate family's needs. Sometimes, its not him, but probably you who lack the financial knowledge.
    If your H earns enough, and spends enough for his immediate family and there are considerable savings, then there is nothing wrong with helping his brothers in need. That's called brotherhood.
    Just because you have a bad relationship with your BIL/Co-sis, doesn't mean your H should react cold with his siblings when they are in need.

I thin you need support to clear all these accumulated negativity from your head to think normal. Perhaps, your postpartum make it troublesome.
    Be careful if someone else (friend, mother, sister) is influencing... If so, let these external influence not to bother your decision making power

SunPa and sindmani like this.
  6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi SGBV,
    Thanks for your post.....
    I feel parents should be equal to their kids.....in all matters- money, affection, sharing sorrows and joys.... its not that my DH is problematic child, he is the most sincere, genuine, doting son.....why he gets unfair treatment? because he is naiive, they can easily manipulate him while the other siblings are clever and cunning.... you see any son/daughter unloved/uncared for by their parents, you will see bitterness in their hearts.....these are the demons you need to deal with yourselves....when things get too much to handle, you do get frustrated but then calm yourself out and think in rational way....
    brotherhood is not one way street. relations have to be mutual...DH gave BIL money when we had nothing in our savings, he gave up all savings....after an year, DH never asked for financial help even when we were struggling, they never offered...BIL knew we pay health insurance out of pocket, he knew we had debts...next thing i hear he bought plots in India...forget helping DH, BIL has never returned the money he took...and DH will never ask him.....
    I need myself, my God, prayers, and just a walk.....on these occasional days when negativity builds up.....and of course, posting here to get vent out and get set on track by ladies here......and its quite normal to feel negative for in laws like mine....its hard to see unfairness being met out to genuine and nice people.....by own parents...

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I accept this. The bitterness and pain will be there in the children's heart if at all there is some partiality. But such bitterness in their children's spouse is little too much, JMO. That too, if that affects her physical and mental health.
    As a spouse, you can handle this in both ways.
    1) If your husband is truly grieving and feeling bitter about the fact that his parents are biased, then you can stand by him. Show him loads of love to make him feel worthy and confidence. You can help him detach from his unworthy/unloving parents if that could make him feel better.
    2) If your spouse doesn't believe that there is some partiality, then you can have an heart to heart discussion with him to know what exactly is that.
    Each family is unique, and we really can't judge their love and affection based on certain behaviors alone.
    You must trust your H as an adult, and his capacity to judge people, at least his people.
    If he understands truth behind your concerns, then it is better.
    If you understand the truth behind his/their affection, it is much much better.
    If not, let him handle his people. You stay away from them.

Staying away from in laws mean, minimizing your interactions, your interference, and stop expectations from them at all.
    Be it emotional, physical or financial support, please do not expect them from your in laws.
    At the same time, you may consider not to provide any support to your in laws too.
    You means YOU, and you alone.
    Don't interfere if your H chose to help them physically, emotionally or financially as long as he does them within limits (I know that you both must have set some boundaries about your earning, saving & investment. If extended family needs some support, there is nothing wrong in extending them).

Having said that, there is no reason to feel bitter or sad or negative about your in laws for not loving your H as they love their other children. It is not your problem to lose your health and happiness.
    If this problem makes you sad further, better you consult a counselor.

Meet9 and sindmani like this.
  8. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi meet9
    I can understand your problem.please don't lose your peace of mind.dont think of these issues too much,whuch s never going to change
    Each family problems exist but in different ways.inlaws problem will be there and please understand that you are not alone.atleast you don't have to live with them.here in India so many women struggle to handle them bcos they don't have husband support.we can never change and it will not be solved.better to forget and move on for your own happinesses
    If you have given Money to your bil and he has not given means it will be difficult for you.you ve to explain to your husband since he is a good hearted brother who lends and never ask for the money.atlast God have mercy on you so that you are in a position to help others.
    Take care of yourself and your family.leave other matters
    My opinion.
    Good luck

Meet9 and Sandycandy like this.
  9. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks SGBV!

When couples are deeply in love, they will feel and be bothered if someone/anyone hurts the feelings of their spouse....DH is frustrated with the change in attitude of his parents over last few years, that I of course try to change the topic and cheer him up etc.....
    I do believe in facts, what I see in terms of their actions, it is clear that there is partiality..DH agrees to it if I point it out (I have stopped doing it because it ultimately is no good), if I dont point it, he will sulk but wont show me...in those cases, I change home environment but overdoing chores/etc....and give him space and rest...which also affects me....all in all their actions affect out home environment NOT DUE TO ME, but due to my DH's sensitivity and attachment to his parents......

Yes it should not affect my health and peace of mind...I do agree ..Thanks again for giving your perspective on it!

nakshatra1 likes this.
  10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakshini! I agree fully to your post!