1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding recognizing alphabets

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Deepika24, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

hello ladies,
    I am back after a very long time....
    Now my DD is 2.5 yrs old... She s going to play home... now she has learnt A -Z , some numbers & few rhymes... Recently her teacher said that she is not recognizing alphabets and numbers... I am a bit worried for the same...
    orally she tells each and everything...
    So ladies please suggest me on how to make my DD recognize alphabets & numbers...

Thank You...

2. tinkerbell

tinkerbell Junior IL'ite

Hi deepika,
    Kids will easily recognize what they saw..that means their visualizing capacity was great at that age...
    So try to show some colourful pictures of alphabets...and videos of them...it vl b useful..

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Deepika, even though teachers teach a lot of things at daycares/schools, I feel a lot of responsibility still lies with the parent when it comes to teaching the basic to children. Maybe your LO is just not into the method the daycare uses to teach the kids to recognize the alphabets.

My DD picked up capital letters easily but we struggled with small letters. Then what I did was create a play around it. Whenever we do a craft together, I know she loves it, so I created a play revolving around the crafts.
    Supplies used:
    Child friendly glue
    Foam shapes
    Glitter bits
    apl.JPG
    I simply drew the outline (make it thick) of the alphabet using the glue and let my LO apply glitter bits on the glue to form an alphabet. The whole day we concentrated on one alphabet. It took 3-4 shapes, glue, glitter and lots of mess but she got the hang of the alphabets fairly soon.
    The whole day I concentrated on everything “A”. Like saying A is for Apple, showing and asking her to recognize where A is in the book we are ready etc.

Likewise, find out what your DD is interested in and create play-time around that. Surely she will learn the alphabets.

3 people like this.
  4. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

hi rakhi,
    how r u nd ur DD dng?
    Thank you so much for suggesting... I really appreciate the way you have thought your DD...
    My DD says a for apple, B for Ball and so on till Z... But alphabets is a problem with her... Surely i will try to create play time ... lets see...
    Thank you so much...

1 person likes this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Peg puzzles with numbers and (lower case) letters help a great deal.

Also it is recommended here that the children learn the sounds rather than the name of the letter. Starfall has the sounds for simple phonics. Don't worry. She will pick it up very quickly

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

We are doing good Deepika, thanks for asking. Actually she loves another video on aplhabets, its called "Bob the Train, Alphabets". You can find that video in youtube. Its really fun, I think your LO will like it.
    As such, there are a few things which kids pick up faster and a few things they take forever to pick up causing (unnecessary) concerns for us.

I had this very same problem with colors. She just would not differentiate the colors (forget about recognizing) and it didnt matter how many methods i tried. And then, a friend told me to get a game, its called a Post Box game/. i ordered that online and it was the best $35 I ever spent as that game put my mind to rest that she is "seeing" colors. I was worried if she was color-blind (mom's mind I tell ya)!
    Once I got that game, teaching her the colors was a breeze.

So what I finally mean to say is, you may need to try several methods before your DD likes it and learns through it.

7. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Hi Deepika24,

Here's what I feel would help:
    Get some simple & clear alphabetical & numerical charts
    Get some alphabet & number playmats
    Get alphabet & number blocks & flashcards
    Get alphabet & number tracing books
    Download some nice age-appropriate phonics & number songs & games

Most importantly, get super involved AT HOME with your kid's activities, especially the academic foundation stage ones. I completely endorse what Rakhii said. No matter how nice the daycare centre/play school of one's child is, when it comes to teaching & laying the academic foundation, they don't push the envelope like a parent can.

If you're both working parents, no matter how tired or preoccupied you both are, you compulsorily need to make time everyday for teaching & creative activities with your child; at least one of you. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

hi guesshoo,
    thank you so much for suggesting... hope so she will pick up early...

9. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

hi Lotus Aura,
    Such a wonderful things you have suggested... Thanks alot...
    You are absolutely right that we have to get involved at home... I have to start teaching her in different methods... Sure i will keep it in mind all the points you have mentioned...
    Thank You...

10. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,
    After getting suggestions from you all now i am less worried..... Even i got the same thought while teaching my DD colours... so i will try to do some creative things while teaching her so that she picks up fast...
    Thanks again....