1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reg. CBSE Syllabus for 1st STD kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Selvakala, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Selvakala

Selvakala New IL'ite

Hi all,

My daughter is studying in Class 1, in a reputed CBSE school in Chennai. I am shocked on seeing her school syllabus.

Her English Syallbus covered so far in these 3 months include Verb, Noun, Adjective, Past and Present tense, Pronoun, Singular Plural, Articles. In addition, meanings, dictation words, opposites, Question and Answers.

This does not stop with English, other subjects like MAths, Science, Social, Second Language also have extensive portions.

Now only my daughter is learning to read sentences. I feel this syllabus is too much for her age. I wanted to know if this is the syallbus in all CBSE schools. Or, it differs from school to school.

I wanted to know why the schools are having too much syllabus for Class 1.
    Inaddition, they are having assessment exams every month. Instead of learning with fun, I feel too much pressure is put on the kids.

I would like to know the views of other parents.

Thank you,
    Selvakala

1 person likes this.

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Although the syllabus looks huge, it is just introduction - they'll keep on studying the same things till 6th std ... and when my kid was in 1st std, I asked the teacher - how do kids do the "comprehension" question - she said the teachers help them out...

Dont worry too much ...

My son is in 6th now and he studies all the stuff that he studied in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th again :)
    I personally feel that 5th and 6th std syllabus needs to be more now, they can definitely cope with much more than what they're studying now.. each to his own :)

Also, the CCE was introduced with the aim to reduce the burden of exams on the kids
    Kids dont feel pressurised with the assessments - they are not exams !

Check out some CBSE related websites on CCE - there are so many parameters that they use to measure the child's performance - it is not ONLY written exams - only SA1 and SA2 are evaluated for written performance

Other things evaluated are team work, activity, understanding of the child, oral, aptitude etc...

3. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

That's the CBSE syllabus all over India. Also monthly assessment was started to ease the burden on kids so that they don't have lot of pressure during the exams. But the purpose has been defeated they are no longer seen as an assessment and as exams. All the more pressure on parents and kids.