1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Reduce Belly Fat

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by asirabanu, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

crunches or situps

Dear,

Are you talking about crunches or situps. Situps you can do 200-250 like but not crunches. They are best done on lying on your backs.

In the morning with your empty stomach, you do crunches on your back.
    Just bring both your legs together to your knee and hug them with your hands.
    Then slowly start putting your head up to touch your knee, if you can.

You can do this fully, only when your stomach is empty. So keep trying to do it early in the morning. It seems the best time to do it. My tummy has come down but I am still not able to touch my knees with my head. May be my age.. doesn't allow me to do that.

I have somewhat got rid of my tummy area with this. This one you need to do only ten times daily.
    After that, go brush your teeth and drink 1 cup of warm water with juice of half a lime.
    I have seen the difference and I hope you'll see too.
    All the best to you all.
    Latha

2. divija

divija New IL'ite

Abdominal exercises to reduce only belly

Hi all,Thanks for ur responses.I have 24months old daughter.After delivery my belly came out so big now I look like 7months pregnant lady.I am very thin and only me belly looks so big.It really looks odd.Can you please suggest me any video exercises or simply exercises to reduce my belly without reducing fat in other parts of body.Due to my belly I cant even getup without any support if I sit on the floor.Can u please help me.Thanks

3. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Reduce weight around tummy...

Hello,
    Can anyone explain what is 'Kapaal bhaati ' aasan and how to do it.
    As I stay in US, I don't get to see the visual of this aasan.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Punitha

5. vanmug

vanmug New IL'ite

Hi Punitha,

pls go to www.andhravilas.com and register an account there. once you login on the main page, go t live tv and scroll down and there you have some yoga programmes that can be practised while watching. they have one complete programme on pranayama. hope this helps. please mail back ur ideas on that site.

cheers
    Pranuthi

6. smithi

smithi New IL'ite

Hi All,

It is asked everywhere and everytime to know about some work out to reduce the tummy...

Unfortunately there is no work out available to reduce the fat concentrated only in a particular spot. This concept was prevalent in the GYM until early 60's. But, the research has came up with flying colors that there is no systerm of excersice (whether it is Yoga or resistance training) for spot reduction.

The reason, the tummy is the net accumulation of fat in your body. So you have to adopt a system which works for your entire body.

Better depend on a work out regime,which can burn your body fat even if you take rest too. Thwe only one sort of work out which consumes your fat even after you step out of the GYM is the resistance training.

A well combination of resitance training and cardios will surely diminsh your tummy.

Have a healthy day.

Smithi.

Self is a certified Instructor in Fitness
    Teacher in Yoga

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Smiti,

Good to read yr reply, esp since you are a fitness professional. I am also trying to lose weight in general and round tummy. What is your opinion on Pilates? Or if we do Yoga, is it a better substitute to Pilates?

regards
    Vidya

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Smithi,
    nice to com across someone who is a pro in physical fitness. Would you mind helping the members in choosing the right type of exercise?
    I am obese, fat around the tummy. Can you suggest what type of exercise should I do? And do tell me about the resistance which you have mentioned in your post:idontgetit: .
    Thank you.

9. smithi

smithi New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the encouraging reply by the moderators.

I would like to deal with the obesity in detail. Before I am going to straight way in to the physical work out, I feel it is worthwhile to write something about the process of our body. No, I am not going to push you all in the quagmire of boredom with the jargon of Anatomy and physiology. Here I am trying to explain the Obesity in very lucid manner.

As most of us know the things what am going to write, still please bear with me OK. It is for the people who are still new to the body and its function.

What is obesity?

It is an excessively high amount of body fat tissue in relation to lean body mass. Lean body mass is nothing muscle, organs, bones and nervous tissues.

Fat cells are full of oily substance that is stored and released according to the food what we eat and compared to the exercise we have done. We all need certain amount of fat for stored energy, heat insulation, shock absorption and other function of the body.

Overweight is not obesity. But every obese person is overweight. Overweight means only few kilos of body weight than the body frame requires. It can be lean muscle too. Whereas, in case of obesity it is excess amount of fat deposition.

How to determine Obesity?

The simple and most commonly used method is to find out the BMI, that is Body Mass Index. To calculate your BMI you divide your weight in kilograms by the square of your height. The value you get is the BMI of your body.

If the value is 30 or more that female is considered as Obese.

For men the target value is 25.

In conjunction with this it is advisable to observe the WAIST TO HIP ratio also to determine the Obesity. For men a ratio of 0.8 or less is considered as safe.

What are the causes of Obesity?

Though it is very difficult to pin point the exact cause of Obesity, it can fairly be stated that it is the consequence of excessive eating. It is true that many psychological factors are involved in it, but one thing is sure that without excessive eating generally there will not be any Obesity.

Here are the consequences of Obesity, it shortens the life span, causes atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, hypertension, psychosomatic ailments, diabetes, indigestion, gastrointestinal disorders, sexual incapacitation, inferiority complex, arthritis, hyperlipidermia etc.

So, we have to take a pledge to shed this excess fat from our body. For that what we have to do. I will explain in my next post.

Now it is the time to go to my office.

Have a healthy day.

smithi

In pursuit of fitness excellence

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Smiti,
    Your post is very informative.
    to arrive at the ideal weight, subtract 100 from your height in centimetres. And the difference that and the actual weight is taken for deciding if a person is obese- am I right? I do like this as per my son's endocrinologist.
    Awaiting your next post very eagerly.