1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for safety gates

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Lavanya, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I would like to know if any of you have used any safety gates between rooms or for the stairs and if you like the brand you are using. Please share the details, as we need to look for one very soon...

-L.

2. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hi, I too wanted to know about the safety gates... I found gates at walmart.. but is there any difference in quality if I get from walmart or babiesrus..

Pls advice.

Cheers,
    suvidhya

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My brother used the one from walmart and lasted till the kids grew up!

4. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

There are so many kinds in walmart too - can you specify which one?

-L.

5. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hi Anandchitra..
    that was a useful information. Thank you.

Cheers,
    suvidhya

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

The only gates I saw in walmart store were pressure mounted ones and I'm afraid that once a toddler learns to step on it and tug that it will come apart. In BRU we saw Evenflo and safety first brands which are mounted using hardware but they seem to be expensive - so I'm still waiting to hear if there are good reviews for any particular brand.

-L.

7. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Lavanya,
    I have northstar pressure mountable gates from Walmart ,they also come with hardware to install it as swing gate.I love them so far,they are not very expensive either I think maybe 16.99 or 19.99 not sure exactly as it has been a long time since we got them.But I would say a Big NO to the wooden pressure mount gates in walmart i tried them and it broke in a weeks time.

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I thought I'd update the info with regard to gates in my home...

We use the Evenflo - Simple Step (got it in walmart) - pressure mount gate to cordon off a room or the entry way into the house.

With regard to stairway gate - we use the hardware mounted kind as I wasn't comfortable thinking that may be the pressure mount gate can come loose as LO gets older and also when they are mounted with hardware you can get a tighter fix even if the walls aren't exactly straight. So we use the Evenflo - Secure step (got it in Babies R Us).

Only extra thing you may need to purchase to get a good sturdy fix for the hardware mounted gates are plastic anchors which are available in all hardware stores. Just take the screw with you to get the right size anchor and this helps to "anchor" the gates really well to the walls.

-L.