Recipe related queries

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manju_j, Apr 2, 2005.

1. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Dalia Kanji (Godumai Rava Kanji)

Hi,

Can anyone post a recipe of dalia cooked with water and milk for my 15 month old baby? I mean can i microwave godumai ravai or dalia similar to oats? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Rukmani.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dalia kanji

Hi Rukmani,

Dalia( broken wheat ) is like rice. You can cook it in the microwave but it will take about 20 minutes. Better to pressure cook it. The proportion to use will be 1 cup dalia to 2 to 2/12 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. The softer the better for you todler. It will come out just like rice. Once cooked, you can add milk , sugar and then a little elakkai for flavor( optional) . You can give it as is if your kid likes the grainy texture. otherwise i would recomend mashing the cooked dalia in a mixer to make it smooth and then mix with milkand sugar. Hope this helps

Vandhana

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  3. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Cooking Sizzlers ?

I want to make sizzlers at home & wondering if anyone tried & know how to ?? here in Malaysia I have seen lots of sizzlers dishes where the dish is sizzling & steaming when they bring it to you. Anyone have a recipe for me please

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

sizzlers is nothing but to place on hot plate...

dear anmol,
    this dish is something u can stirfry all the veg and if ur non veg then include that...whatever is the seasoning like pepper and other stirfry sauce...the basic is to use all vegetables...like bell pepper,tomatoes,panneer,onions...and all that u like may be some chicken pieces and all...after the stirfry done....heat a nice tava iron one best and just before serving pour ghee or oil over the tava immediately place a cabbage leaf and put all the veg and serve immediately while it is sizzling..i have added a proffessional receipe try and let me know..hope been of help regards..sunkan
    Ingredients

1 medium capsicum (should stand on its base)
    1 medium tomato ripe and firm
    1 carrot boiled, cut into 1/2" slices
    1 cup cabbage shredded
    2 potatoes boiled and peeled
    1 onion cut into rings or strips
    3-4 beans boiled and halved
    1 cup boiled rice
    1 cup boiled noodles or spaghetti
    1 tsp. red chilli powder
    1 tsp. tomato ketchup
    1/2 tsp. soyasauce
    1 tsp. cornflour
    1 tbsp. dried bread crumbs, fine
    1 tbsp. butter
    Salt to taste
    1 tbsp. oil

Method

1. Mix ginger, garlic,
    2. Mash one potato well, cut fingers of the other.
    3. Mix rice, mashed potato, cornflour, chilli powder, soyasauce, ketchup, salt.
    4. Cut off cap from both tomato and capsicum. Scrape tomato from inside to form hollow.
    5. Place capsicum in boiling water till limp. Drain and pat dry.
    6. Fill both tomato and capsicum with rice filling. Brush with a little butter. Keep aside
    7. Shape pattie of remaining mixture and shallow fry with oil. Keep aside.

To assemble sizzler:
    1. Heat sizzler tray, place half butter in centre, add all vegetables, salt and stirfry.
    2. Push to the sides, put remaining butter in centre. Add noodles, sprinkle salt and pepper, toss.
    3. Push to sides inside the veggies. Place the capsicum, tomato and pattie in centre.
    4. Turn carefully to sizzle all over.
    5. Transfer tray to its wooden container.
    6. Make tray very hot before serving and sprinkle very lightly with some white vinegar, to sizzle.
    7. Serve piping hot with sauce, garlic rolls, etc.

Making time: 1 hour
    Makes: 1 large serving bowl
    Shelflife: Serve immediately, prior preparation as convenient. Note: To make for a large number of guests, it would be better to use the same method but use a large griddle (tawa used for pav bhaji) to accommodate for all. Increase all the ingredients accordingly.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  5. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

how to preserve mango puree ?

hi all,
    can somebody tell me how can i make and preserve puree from mangoes and for how long ? txs in advance.

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Heena !

Select ripe mangoes. Cut into segments. Scoop out the pulp as close to the skin as possible. Liquidise thoroughly. Freeze in boxes. I always do this - preserves well.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. chatkara_tasty

sweet mam,
    txs a million. u r always there whenever i am in problem . i always get quick reply frm u . u r realy sweet and helpful . god will always bless u . one more question how long i can keep this in the freezer and any specific method or box for this . and how can i use it i mean once i will freeze it the ice crystals will come so i hv to wait to melt ice ?

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Me again, Heena !

I freeze it in usual airtight freezer ( plastic) boxes.
    Ice will not form. Previous day tranfer from freezer, lower down, to the fridge. Take it out & thaw for 2-3 hrs before using. I use this for puddings, mangola & other kuzambus.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. chatkara_tasty

sweet mam,
    txs a lot for ur precious time . like this how long i can preserve mango puree ?

10. ethanmuse

ethanmuse New IL'ite

Please help with a recipe for Brussels sprouts

Hello,

I'm new here, and I'm looking for help. I'm a university student in Texas, and I have a professor who says that it is impossible to make brussels sprouts so that she will eat them. Just a few minutes earlier, she had made the statement that Indian food is the best food in the world, so I raised my hand and asked, "What about Brussels Sprouts Vindaloo?" I know that there is probably no such dish, but she said that that might be a way to make them taste good. So, what I'm wondering, does anybody have any good recipes where I can make a curry, or some other Indian dish, out of brussels sprouts?

Thanks,

Ethan Muse (no, I'm not Indian, nor am I a lady...just needing a recipe).