Recipe for making sathu mavu kanji

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by ptamil2007, Mar 25, 2011.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

ptamil,

you are so lovely. thanks for providing all of us a highly nutritious recipe.

2. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks ptamil for the super recipe..I loved your idea of turning on the music in the morning on weekends to make the job interesting :thumbsup and shutting bedroom door to not disturb DH and DS.
    In my house, its the opposite. DH wakes up at 4am daily:spin making me guilty of waking up late :bonk which is 7-7:30 am on weekends. I think it is fare [​IMG]

Anyways, I will find time to make this sathu mavu kanji recipe. One question though - Is there a savory/salty version of this? I do not prefer much sweets, and that too daily :crazy. But, if not, I think I will have to get used to eating the sweeter version, coz of its nutritional benefits.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Sahmaara,

the same mix can be made salty. You must first cook the powder as Tamil has said. Then instead of adding milk+sweetener you add buttermilk (thinned down yogurt), salt. This is an age-old recipe. only these days we add nuts, cardamom and all. those days they made only with grains and drank for breakfast:)

oh don't worry i'll give you company in waking up late. i tell my DH he has to wake up after me if he wants to see his wife up before him LOL! where we live i can't run mixie before 8 in the morning.. quietness rules:) for sathu maavu i'll have police knocking at my doors;)

Tamil,

i've been having sathu maavu (not regularly though) ever since i was in school. but always I buy. this time i was thinking of buying the ready-mixed whole grain packets that they sell. but the thought of grinding it scared me.

corn is normal corn right? (pop-corn type)
    we don't get jowar and bajra here perhaps i should substitute with something else.. millet family...

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Chotumeetu, hridaya: Thank you for the feedback

Sahmaara: As Traveller said, once the powder is cooked, add buttermilk (but turn the heat off quickly). Add salt as per taste.

Traveller: corn is normal corn (if you get bigger ones, better). I have not seen bigger ones

I learnt this recipe from my MIL when she visited me after delivery. Whenever we go to India, she makes and gives me around 2 kgs (she does all the dry frying ang gets it ground from the mill)
    My DH has grown up drinking this, so no fuss in the mornings for having this. I am slowly giving to DS also to get him used to the habit of having Kanji

5. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

thanks and Traveller and ptamil for your inputs.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Also if you have it with buttermilk, avoid cardamom

7. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Ptamil nice explanation. It induces me to drink continously. I used to get from shops.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the feedback Lavanya.
    It is a good way to start the day

9. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

nice one ptamil will try it..

10. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

couple of Questions Ptamil..

wheat is it the grains??like in india giving the grains to mill to make pwd
    2.roased channa is it pottukadali for chutney??
    3.sabudana-is it jav arisi like the ones for payasam
    4.What is red rice???