1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reason

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Aug 4, 2016.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

It is quite interesting to listen to people talk about the reasoning power of others. It is always about others and not about our reasoning power. :) Recently somebody was saying, “People just do not use their reasoning power in their beliefs. They blindly believe. The whole world may see something wrong in that source of belief, but the believers do not see it. They are either brainwashed by others, or they brainwash themselves. They lose their power of thinking.”

This made me think about the word ‘reason’. It is a fascinating word. I checked in the dictionary.It means, ‘a rational motive for a belief or action’ and it also means, ‘the capacity for rational thought, inference and discrimination’. It is said that only human beings among all animals have the capacity to reason. But, many a time looking at the violence happening all around the world the question keeps coming to mind if we do really have the capacity to reason? I read somewhere, “War begins not when blood is shed but when anger becomes stronger than reason, when lust for revenge and power of self grows stronger than the desire for peace. It is when reason is lost everything is lost.” This seems so true these days.

What exactly is reason? Can it be defined in an absolute way? When people believe something or someone with their body and soul do they use their reason? In such circumstances it is impossible to be objective. Nothing or nobody is perfect, there are plus and minus points. People see what they want to see, the plus or the minus, according to their way of thinking. It is others who lament the lack of reason. Such people may not be using reason in their own dealings with others; the chain continues. Everyone believes firmly that their actions are the result of careful reasoning. But the reasoning of one is so different from the reasoning of another. Each person is so different from the other, then how can reasoning be the same for everyone? Of course, it is different in the case of scientific studies. I suppose people have to be as objective as possible. I do not know.

Further, as mentioned above, ‘reason’ means a rational motive for a belief or action. So much that is spontaneous would be lost if there was a reason behind everything. I remember reading in one of Anne of the Green Gables books, in such a case we would be just breathing, not living. So true. Long ago were the days when I used to read one book at a time. After starting a book, if I liked the beginning of the story, I had to finish it. But some time along the way I started reading two or three books, one in the morning, one in the evening or something like that. There was no fixed timetable. There was no reason behind this. It just happened. It is fun to live in this world and in two or three other worlds at the same time. :smile:

Then there are those religious beliefs which many say have no scientific reason behind them. They believe they were made just to control people. In many ways they do control people. But for many, such beliefs and that faith in a higher power is a source of strength to face the ups and downs in life. That is a reason in itself and I believe there is no need for any other reason or for any reason for that matter. In this so called reasoning, the heart plays a very important role. We usually ‘believe’ with our heart though many think that their beliefs are based on the mind and on reason. Yes, we give many reasons to prove to ourselves that we are correct. That is human nature. It has been rightly said by someone, “People don’t always see what their eyes tell them is there. They see what they have made up their minds to see.”

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal

guesshoo, Caide, songbird46 and 10 others like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    Yes. We want to believe what we want to and develop reasons accordingly, for both good and bad. Logic and reasons are sisters. We develop them as we like. Even advice also we ask to reconfirm our thinking.
    Faith in religion and God gives a sort of support system in ups and downs of life, in dealing with problems. With this support system at the back of our mind we can face life with more confidence. A psychological aspect.
    Good one Lakshmi.
    Syamala

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A nice analysis.Whatever we believe we try to associate some reasons to it, whether it is blind belief or some simple family matter.Everyone is right in their own way.This may apply well when we talk about matrimonial decisions or decisions about choosing our career or education.But if hard core criminals start adhering to their hearts, even the gruesome rape or murder could be justified in their stand point of view.
    The word 'reasoning' confuses more than any other word.

Jayasala 42

Kamla and LakshmiKMBhat like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@LakshmiKMBhat:

A very nice snippet and thank you for presenting your thoughts. Smt. Jayasala's nomination attracted me to read this snippet.

When the human beings exist in their dual form, they tend to use their free will to the extent possible. Sometimes, they are compassionate with the heart or rational with their head or purely guided by the beliefs. More and more science is accepting that the environment has a significant influence among the human behavior. Religion is teaching the art of right living to influence the head which sometimes justify the wrong action as right. Human beings on their own can seek the right company and right information. Those who have a very good reasoning could seek good company and good information. This happens when the freewill is at its best. Those who don't, can use their belief system. This need to happen when someone is overpowered by the ego.

When someone functions at the height of spirituality and soulful, they neither need belief system nor need discrimination.

Viswa

LakshmiKMBhat and Kamla like this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear @LakshmiKMBhat ,

I do admire you for wanting to play with this word "Reason"!

@jayasala42 has rightly stated...

The word 'reasoning' confuses more than any other word.
    !

Reason of an individual is as distinct and as different as every human being. Every person thinks he/she is right about what they think and how they go about depending on their own personal reasoning abilities which in turn are influenced by their circumstances, culture, religion and belief. I feel Reason is not a general belief but is intrinsic to every person. Each to his/her own!

How else then can we 'reason' out cult following for a person, belief or community while those outside of that belief think or 'reason' it as absurd or fanaticism? Ha, I think and feel that the Reason is the Reason for so much controversy and confusion in the society.

Well, being reasonable myself (!!!), I agree with @jayasala42 when she chooses this as a Fine Post and nominates it for this months FP! Thanks to her I got to read your very interesting post. Congratulations!

L, Kamla

LakshmiKMBhat and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

Nice to read :)

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

“War begins not when blood is shed but when anger becomes stronger than reason, when lust for revenge and power of self grows stronger than the desire for peace. It is when reason is lost everything is lost.” This seems so true these days.

when they want power also they use and create unnecessary reasons. true

Each person is so different from the other, then how can reasoning be the same for everyone?

This is why even one's point of view even it is good or bad others wont accept if they set their mind.

“People don’t always see what their eyes tell them is there. They see what they have made up their minds to see.”

agreed.. nowadays even men-women cant stand together and have a lil chat. people see them in different perspective.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal
    nice words by Pascal

Nice post mam

LakshmiKMBhat and vaidehi71 like this.