1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Really Need Help!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ilovesai, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Miradia

Miradia New IL'ite

can someone tell me how to post

2. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Thanks Sandy! Yep, I already talked to him in private and told him it's not fair to expect guests to do the laundry especially when they have health issues.. For which, he said it is not my work to do your mom's clothes, but my mom has been washing and sorting everyone's clothes for the last one week.. He said he can't help with cooking, because it's not his work either.. Dishes my mom washes it by hand and doesn't let us use dishwasher.. Now I'm doing laundry also myself, I just wash everyone's clothes other than my husband's , because of what he said.. He was so loud when he said why should I wash your mom's clothes, and my mom heard it and came down and said I will wash everyone's clothes.. So mom and I make coffee for mil, serve food, I make the food, clean the house, now the laundry which he was doing is also on me.. Mom doesn't mind doing all the work in spite of her health issues, and mil watches tv all day, and doesn't even fold her own clothes or make coffee.. That's okay, if he helps out, I don't mind helping out my mil.. but when he sees my mom as alien, I think I should step back too..

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Thanks Ashney! He has to pick the clothes from washer and load it into the dryer.. Btw he was doing laundry for everyone including my mom during my mom's previous visit.. Now that his mom is around, I think he is acting this way.. I can't wait until they leave, so giving it back by not doing his clothes, but for him anyway it's just his clothes and he doesn't have to wash every day.. I don't really expect my mil to do anything, but I think my husband should treat my mom same way as he does to his mom..

4. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Thanks yellow mango.. That's true! I should have not offered to have my mom help with mil's travel.. I'm doing all the work trying to limit what my mom does on top of all other office work.. If he can be protective of his mom, why shouldn't I? This is being plain mean..

5. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Thanks Elsa.. Nope, he doesn't want to do cooking either.. Yep, but the maid can only come alternate days, which my mil won't be okay with..

6. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Hi Bhumi Babe, it was my idea to bring them together as mil is not used to traveling alone.. My mom washes and folds everyone's clothes.. Yes, hiring a maid is very expensive and people are only willing to come alternate days.. The problem is him and his attitude.. To top it, mil always says mean things to everyone like the food i cook is mushy and I serve old rice (i keep fresh rice every morning).. I caught her when she was saying that on phone to someone, and she said, no your mom only told it's old rice, I asked my mom she said I didn't say that it's old rice.. she simply put the blame on my mom when I asked her..

7. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Because its your house, you should be calling the shots. Hire a maid, let her do the cleaning and laundry. If your MIL has a problem with it, ask her if she can do it for you becasue you cannot manage everything on your own.

Delegate as much work to the maid as you can for as long as your husband and MIL cannot help you. If you cannot make time for cooking, hire a cook as well. Be firm and do not budge. Or just order food from outside on days you dont feel like cooking.

Ask your mom not to do any work in the house if your MIL doesnt do any of it. If possible, please let your husband do his and his mom's laundry while you or your mom do yours and your mom's. Do not even get into any discussions.

Brevity likes this.
  8. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Yellowmango,
    Such an apt reply.. I am becoming a fan of yours.

yellowmango likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op why is your mil deciding on the maid when she doesn't lift a finger?
    Let the maid clean on alternate days. If she objects....let her clean or get her son to clean.

You should not let your mom wash utensil by hand. That really puts pressure on the back. You load the dish washer and tell your mom to do other work like chopping / cooking / folding clothes etc.

Sunshine04, BhumiBabe and Brevity like this.
  10. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Ignore MIL's suggestions politely regarding housework since she does not contribute anything to it.
    You keep yours and your mom's dresses apart and do a weekly laundry once. Ask husband to wash and fold his, kids' and his mother's dresses. Don't contribute to his laundry responsibility in any way. You have your own weekly load.
    You don't fold anyone's dresses. Just sort and deliver to their respective rooms. Ask kids (if they are above 8 or 10) to involve in this sorting and delivering. Everyone can fold and put their own stuff in their cupboard. Let kids have a slightly messy, just sorted cupboard until the extra guests leave.
    Don't let your mom strain on your account. You flat out refuse when she offers to do more stuff.
    Employ a help. Alternate days is more than enough.
    Don't argue with petty minded husband. Just say that this is your best. He can pitch in whichever way he wants to.