1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Re: A peep into the world of ghosts!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Greetings!
    I came across this interesting post today. Very interesting to say the least. Congrats!:)
    Thought of sharing one of my autobiographical short story, which I had posted in a different forum recently. The incident dates back over 50 years from now.
    Forgive me for a touch of exagerration, which I had resorted to for your reading pleasure.
    Here it goes:
    Gopu & the ghost !

“Nee 'Raththak Katteri'ya parthurukkayada?” Gopu asked.
    Even the name sent shivers up my spine.
    “Illa da”, I replied.
    ‘Kolli vai, Korali vai pisasu?’
    ‘hu hum’.
    “mohini pisasu ethavadhu..... ?”
    “illave illai”, by now I was literally scared.
    “Appuram eppidida indha theruvila irukkapporey?"
    I looked at him, blank.
    "Ok. Ok. Don’t worry. I have come across so many of them and have learnt many a tricks to tackle them. I will teach you few tricks as well”, Gopu assured me. This is how my initiation into the world of ghosts started. I was about 8 years old then and Gopu around 12.

Our family had recently moved into the house next to Gopu’s.
    Gopu, even though average in studies, was an extremely intelligent and worldly-wise character.
    No problem was big for him to handle. He had a solution for anything & everything that could trouble a youngster of my age.
    Even the elders in the neighbourhood handled him with care as he was considered a ‘Narada’ of sorts as well.
    Over a period I developed a great admiration for him – kind of a “hero worship”.

Our house was at one end of the street. There was an old dilapidated bungalow, bang in the middle of the street, with a massive cotton tree, spreading its branches well across to the other side. There was no one living in that house and many of Gopu’s ghosts originated from this building only.
    “Do not look back even if a familiar voice calls you, in the vicinity of the building, after dusk” Gopu once warned me. “Normally raththak katteri would call you thrice by name. The voice would resemble that of someone well known to you – your father, brother, uncle, why even mine. If you turn around, it would kill you with a single slap. Many, returning from night-shows, have lost their lives this way. If you happen to come very early in the morning, especially after Amavasya or Pournima nights, you could see few bodies lying outside the bungalow. I have seen with my own eyes so many, lying dead, with clear slap marks”.
    “Is there no way we could escape them?” I asked.
    “Oh, yes! I have many tricks. One of them is that if you throw fresh **** of a healthy bull, the katteri would be scared and run away. But, the BS should not be mixed with cow dung. It should be that of a male animal only.”
    “Where do I go for such a specialized weapon at times of emergency?” I queried, worried.
    “No issues. There are other tricks as well, but they call for precise application. You need to wait for the katteri to call you thrice and when you feel it’s presence just behind you, close your eyes (as you are not supposed to look into it's eyes) turn around and piss on it, when it least expects you to do so. It will run away.”
    From the on, I always ensured that my bladder was full, incase I was to go anywhere near the building after dusk. Also, I used to run as fast as I could, while crossing the building.

Few months down the line, there was a children’s film show in my school.
    I was keen on going to the show; but at the same time the thought of crossing the building while returning late scarred me. Luckily, enroute to the show, I met Gopu.
    Eventhough he was not from our school, he was prepared to come provided I pay for his entry as well. I immediately agreed and was greatly relieved, being assured of the company of the great ‘ghost-basher’ while returning. The film show was over by 9.00 PM. It was a good 2 Km walk back home.
    While I was least bothered about the ‘booth-bungalow’ as I had Gopu for company, I noticed Gopu looking a bit disturbed. I asked him the reason.
    “Naan mattum thaniya irundha paravayilla da. I would somehow hood-wink the ghost. But now that you are also with me, I have to take precautions to save you as well. That is what I am seriously thinking about” he replied.
    On our way back, there was a Kudirai laayam – a place where horse-carts were stationed. In those days, horse carts were being used, like auto-ricks of today. There were atleast 10 horse carts (and as many horses) in the shed. In addition, some bullock carts, common for movement of goods, were also stationed in the shed for the night. There was a tub in a corner, in which the excreta of both the horses as well as bullocks were dumped.
    Gopu went inside the shed and returned in a few minutes with 2 packets, containing the excreta rolled in news paper. The content was stinking badly - much worse than any excreta that I know of. I could guess why the ghosts were scared of that stuff. [​IMG]
    He handed one packet to me saying “idha kaiyile vachchukko. Nann sollumbodhu use pannnaum. Sariya”.
    I nodded in agreement, amazed at his presence of mind.

It was around 9.30 PM or so, when we entered our street - practically deserted and dark. Very few street lights were burning. Nearer we came to the bungalow, faster my heart pumped. When we were getting closer to the building, the shadows of the cotton tree dancing on the street below sent shivers. It was then we heard a voice from behind, calling “Gopu”. I was scared. Could feel Gopu was also shaken a bit. We tried to run, but our legs would not cooperate. We heard the voice nearer now- for the second time. I froze.
    The third time 'it' called, I did as was directed by Gopu – closed my eyes, turned around and threw the BS in the general direction and ran towards my house. I could hear it hitting something solid -"Thatch".
    I expected Gopu also to do like-wise – but was shocked to hear a resounding slap followed by his shouting “ Ayyo, Amma”.

I ran for my life, reached home and bolted myself in. For a longtime I couldn’t sleep – feeling sorry for Gopu’s fate. I felt myself responsible for his sad end, as it was me who invited him to the show with a selfish motive. I hated myself.

However, I was greatly relieved and happy when I saw Gopu next morning, hale & healthy.
    I queried him the reason for his shouting, after throwing the BS at the ‘ghost’, the previous night. He clarified that it was not he, but the ghost who shouted in his voice, to confuse me and get me back.
    “Nalla velai. Nee buddhisaalith thanama odi poitttey. Nann konjam wait panni andha katteriyai virattittu vandhane” he proclaimed.
    Knowing that he was jittery as well, when he heard his name being called, I couldn’t believe him. I confided this in my mom.
    Later on, that after-noon Gopu’s mother came asking my mom for a tumbler of sugar on loan. (This was normal between neighbours in those days).
    My mom took the opportunity and asked “ raththiri Gopu vara romba neram ayiduththu pola irukke?”
    “Adhey yen ketkare. Avanai thedindu poyittu, ivar udambellam kalam saaniya poosindu vandhu serndhaar. Inni kalambarey lendhu nooru thadavai avar shirt-i alasiyum andha karaiyum pogaley; naththamum pogaley. Enna ezhavu saaniyo, naaththam kodalai pidungarathu, po”, Gopu’s mom replied while leaving.

My mom looked at me and smiled – an all knowing one.
    Ungalukkum ellam purinjurukkumey!!! [​IMG]
    Anbudan,
    rrg

sindmani, vsharma, sumalynux and 4 others like this.

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Too good. I had a heatly laugh ::rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

3. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

உமக்கும் பேய்க்கும் என்ன உறவு ஐயா? உங்கள் இரண்டு கதையும் பேய் பேஸ் anyway I enjoyed நன்றி - நல்வரவு புதிய எழுத்தாளரே
    அன்புடன் - விநோரன் :drowning

4. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

I loved the incident and loved your narration more.. On top of everything "Gopu" is such acute name... I wish if I could read the lines you wrote in tamil...

Enjoyed..

1 person likes this.
  5. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends - Uma, Vinoran & Deepali,
    Pleased that you liked my post.
    I regualrly write short stories & personal anecdotes in some other forums. Most of my postings are of comical variety, to tickle the funny bones of the reader and I find my writings have found a good number of friends in these forums encouraging me and demanding more & more.
    Time permitting, I would like to keep contributing to this forum. Looking forward to all your support and encouragement in future as well.

Deepali - I am sorry that some portion of my story was in transliterated Tamil. I felt that those Tamil words conveyed the feelings more effectively.
    However for your sake let me post the English translation of some Tamil portions.
    “Appuram eppidida indha theruvila irukkapporey?" - Then how do you propose to pull on in this street?
    “Naan mattum thaniya irundha paravayilla da." - It is OK had I been alone.
    “idha kaiyile vachchukko. Nann sollumbodhu use pannnaum. Sariya”. - Keep it in your hand and use it when I ask you to do so. OK?
    “Nalla velai. Nee buddhisaalith thanama odi poitttey. Nann konjam wait panni andha katteriyai virattittu vandhane” - Good that you were intelligent enough to run away. I waited for some more time to drive away the ghost and then came home.
    “ raththiri Gopu vara romba neram ayiduththu pola irukke?” - Gopu came home very late last night?
    “Adhey yen ketkare. Avanai thedindu poyittu, ivar udambellam kalam saaniya poosindu vandhu serndhaar. Inni kalambarey lendhu nooru thadavai avar shirt-i alasiyum andha karaiyum pogaley; naththamum pogaley. Enna ezhavu saaniyo, naaththam kodalai pidungarathu, po”, - Don't ask me. My husband went in search of him and returned smearing himself with a tonne of stinking ****. Even after washing his shirt over 100 times this morning, neither the stain nor the stink have gone. Where did that goddamn thing come from with such a revolting nasty stink? - God knows.

Thanks & Rgds,
    RRG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

Good one... sema kalkkaringa pongo....enjoyed a lot...raktha katerri poi appa va vandha dho...ha ha ha

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear Rrg,
    Konnuttel pongo!!!! ( as you mentioned tamil brings more effectively the feeling:)) You maintained the suspense
    till the end like a detective story writer. Poor father! he became the scapegoat. Enjoyed your narration.
    with love
    pad

sindmani likes this.
  8. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Lalitha & Padmini ( once again).
    I am flattered. :bowdown
    Rgds,
    rrg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Rrg,
    very nice short story...enjoyed the narration and it was very nice of you to translate for the non tamilians

10. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Thanks a lot.
    I enjoy telling stories and it gives more pleasure if my way of telling is liked by readers.
    Thanks once again,
    rrg