1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Rava Upma - is it good for a diabetic?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by theamma, Dec 27, 2008.

1. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

Can anyone tell me if the South Indian dish Ravai uppuma with plenty of vegetables is good for a diabetic? I am a vegetarian and a senior. I have to watch my Glycemic index and I am looking for vegetarian Indian recipes that have very low Glycemic levels. I also have other health problems. I would appreciate answers from dieticians, nutrionists or others who know about Indian vegetarian dishes. I have to cut down on salt and deep fried foods. It would be nice if nutrionists from and doctors from India ( who know about our food) give us the good foods we can eat that still has the Indian flavor without adding calories. Thanks in advance.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Dear theamma,

i can suggest you one easy breakfast which is good for diabetic...i have tried this is really good and you can eat heartfull... dhokla made up of whole green gram ie also called pessarpappu with skin...soak this whole green gram ie whole moong 1 cup and 1tseaspoon fenugreek seeds for at least 5hours.. grind this moong along with small piece ginger, few pods garlic green chilly to your taste and little salt...consistency should be of idly batter you can add little curd while grinding... now u can make dhokla with this or idly ... for chutney u can take fried gram dal garlic chilly salt and curd... in this recipe u can omit oil totally or if you like you can use 1teaspoon oil where it is required..

regards,
    Padma