Rasagulla or Rosogolla - Know the interesting history of its origin

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by GaythriV, Nov 24, 2013.

1. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Rasgulla or a roshogolla - this Bengali mithai needs no introduction. But do you know the interesting history of its origin? - by CHEF SANJEEV KAPOOR
    A rasgulla or a roshogolla as it is commonly called needs no introduction. These sweet chenna balls soaked and served with sugar syrup are like little bites of goodness. While most people know about this mithai, a lot of people don’t know the real story behind its origin. Contrary to popular belief the rasgulla was not invented in Bengal. It is actually a traditional sweet that is being prepared nearby Orissa, much before Nobin Chandra Das, a confectioner from Kolkata modified and popularized it. The original rasgullas that were made in Orissa and nearby states could not be stored and had to be eaten fresh. Das wanted to change this, so he took the rasgulla, made some changes in the original recipe and created the rasgulla that we are familiar with and love today! Increasing the shelf life of the rasgulla made it a lot spongier and porous in texture. This way it soaks up more of the sugar syrup and hence the syrup also got modified and was made slightly thicker in consistency. Nobin Chandra Das was the first to do this. He then shared his recipe with several other sweet makers to popularize it and give it its rightly deserved status. His son K.C. Das then started canning this product which increased its popularity several folds. This is the journey of the rasgulla from the by lanes of Orissa to the canned tins in our fridges.
    Chef Kapoor’s tip – While making rasgullas knead the dough properly and make sure you do not add too much refined flour in it to ensure your rasgullas are soft and fluffy.

Copyright � Sanjeevkapoor.com

3 people like this.

2. almondeyes

almondeyes Bronze IL'ite

Dear GaythriV,

I hail from Orissa , and know the rasagolla origin . I am so glad you shared this great piece of info and made the "packagers" apart from the "originators".

Needless to say , i love the fresh pahala rasagollas than the packaged ones sold .Pahala is a place in Orissa, where the rasagollas are made in a very thin syrup and they taste heavenly as compared to the thick syrup ones avavilable in shops. If any of you happen to visit Jagannath Puri ,at Orissa do make sure to taste them in addition to the famous "Mahaprasad" ofcourse. I bet its the best food you could have ever laid your hands on.

Thanks for making me feel nostalgic GaythriV, just wondering if you are from Orissa as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

:thankyou2: very much almondeyes for your kind feedback. It shows how emotional and loving you are for your place. Very nice to feel that at the same time am happy too for giving that feel to you. I haven't made to Orissa even once. I shared this message from FB.

I know a friend from Bhuvaneshwar by name Kalaivani whom I met in Chennai in SriVidhya School from where we went to Banaras to write our exams in 70's and stayed there for more than a month till then we were together as friends. But lost her address and contact too. Your response reminded me her of.

1 person likes this.
  4. almondeyes

almondeyes Bronze IL'ite

Hey GaythriV...Its always lovely to be reminded of old friends. I am glad I aided you in that. :)
    Yeah..I love my place..Isnt it nectar to one's ears to hear there own mother tongue!!I feel lonely in this alien land ..How i wish you were Oriya, so that i could have spoken with u in my language.

Anyways..nice post dear. Do post more Orissa related interesting stuff , now that you know someone is eager to read them ..:)

5. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

THanks for sharing this info gayathri. I really love rasagullas. My first attempt in cooking is rasagulla. Though I failed many times , but finally I got the taste. Please also start a thread of all sweets orginiation, and how it started.

1 person likes this.
  6. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Maliniglow for your feedback.

Sure I would post if I come to know any such.

1 person likes this.
  7. nalini468

nalini468 Gold IL'ite

Hi GaythriV,

Your post regarding Rasgullas is gud.
    Actually, I have tried rasgulla twice at home.
    But I have reached almost all 90% in preparing Rasgullas.
    I have almost all reached the taste as the one sold in shops but need to reach the remaining in 10% in taste/lukwise.

1 person likes this.
  8. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi GayathriV

Thanks for sharing the origin of Rasagullas- one of the fav sweets..
    We used to visit Orissa till my 10th class to my uncle's home and cherish the fresh rasgullas made at local places, nostalgic about the past memories...

Sravani

1 person likes this.
  9. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Gayathri, thank you so much for this post......I knew about it's origin through google :) My bro, sis and hubby's favorite sweet..... as Almondeye said Pahala Rasgullas are best...... we feel if we go cuttack and come without eating or bringing rasgulla then it's a waste....... hee heee....I have also made attempts to make Rasgulla at home and my hubby likes them but I am not satisfied and yet to have expertise like hotel ones :)

Almondeye, nice to know you are also from Odisha....which part are you from ??

Sravani, nice to know you have traveled to Odisha and you too like Rasgulla :)

1 person likes this.
  10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Yes Pumpkin, from 5th class-10th we used to go for every summer holidays...My uncle used to work in railways in Keonjhar, we used to travel all places in and around them...

Sravani